User Tag List

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been watching a lot of men's doubles recently and it's getting a bit tiring that GC never fails to mention about Mathias Boe's weak defense game. And it doesn't matter if the opposing pair happens to get a perfect smashing place from the middle of court: if it goes to Boe GC always says something like "yeah, it's the weak defense of Boe". I mean, it cannot that bad since they have won titles and pretty much any pair in the world at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the way she phrases is different than what she intends. What she means is that his defense is "weaker" by the other top player's standards, it doesn't mean that his defense is necessarily "weak". Take Fu Haifeng for example, she mentions the same thing that his defense is not as strong as Cai Yun's, but it's not that his defense is weak. However GC will notice when one player's defense is not on par with their partner's and thus that person gets targeted in doubles because the opponents will know that slight weakness in smash defense. That's what GC means she says a player's defense is "weak". It's misleading but you have to think about it a little bit.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, Boe's defense was very, very weak in the FO by International standards. The Danes are only so successful because they are so very good at keeping the attack - unlike most Asian pairs, who mostly go for higher paced shots and open up some part of the court, the Danes are very content to just play slow smashes/fast drop shots until they see a weakness in defense or an opportunity to involve their partner....
    Anyhow, once they're on the defense, the opponents pretty much just have to smash across MB's body as he always anticipates a straight smash and can not adapt quickly enough. But because they're so good at keeping the attack and also very strong in the serve-return situation, they can afford that weakness.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Both Tactim and j4ckie have very valid points. And it is also true that taller lanky players have trouble with returning shots and smashes very close to the body, which is why most of Boe's opponents place them there.

@j4ckie, a practice point for you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boe should take the hint and GET RID OF HIS VT80 to improve his defence. When he used to use the 900P I always thought "no wonder he can't defend"; more of the same now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"He's certainly been getting a lot of flak from the Malaysian press for winning any major titles..." for the umpteenth time. "But look at that win-loss record."

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voltric View Post
    "He's certainly been getting a lot of flak from the Malaysian press for winning any major titles..." for the umpteenth time. "But look at that win-loss record."
    You don't mean the win-loss record against a certain LD?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commentators talk too much, simple as that. I just watched 2010 All England womens doubles on dvd and began wondering when the co-commentators would stop their conversation and start watching the unfolding match. DVDs should be made with the option of turning off commentary!

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimo View Post
    Commentators talk too much, simple as that. I just watched 2010 All England womens doubles on dvd and began wondering when the co-commentators would stop their conversation and start watching the unfolding match. DVDs should be made with the option of turning off commentary!
    Not even half as bad as those on CNTV (China television) ... they talk about things completely unrelated to the game at hand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....exploring e-very inch of her opponents court.............making her TWIST and TUUURN!!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

has anyone noticed lately that GC seems to have stopped using her phrasebook?

it is not a secret that GC and partners do once in a while read BC forums. perhaps this thread has prompted phasing out of GC1.0 and now we are starting to see the beginning of GC2.0 phrasebook.

which will be a great refreshing change to the badminton commentary that we are now watching from youtube.

Hi Gill.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She did favour "first time of asking" quite a bit yesterday. Nonetheless, still love her.

Hi Gill.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi Gill,
    Please don't change a thing. Not one bit.
    We love you as you are.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, awesome change of topic here I did notice the "such a strong athlete, is Ko Sung Hyun" again, Quarter finals I think - I guess she can't help it, whenever she sees him on court, she has to mention it.^^
    Although he deserves a little credit for all the weight/strength training he put into those muscles!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Haha, awesome change of topic here I did notice the "such a strong athlete, is Ko Sung Hyun" again, Quarter finals I think - I guess she can't help it, whenever she sees him on court, she has to mention it.^^
    Although he deserves a little credit for all the weight/strength training he put into those muscles!
    And.... she even noticed KSH wore a "t-shirt" beneath his jersey and made a prolonged comment about it. Actually I think it was compression wear.

Gill's eyes are wandering indeed!

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Indecision... cost him dear. She usually uses that for FHF when he can't decide whether a bird is in, then decides to play it but gets killed at the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, since Ian Wright is always commentating with Gill, I should add something that he always says while with her.

He always says "creating the space" or several variations regarding "space" that's opened up by good shots of players. It's become I think his most recognizable phrase =p

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast