0 Thread(s)

"Well, I let you be the judge of that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    "Well, I let you be the judge of that"
    I like that quote very much.. unbiased and in such a PC manner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Yup, sometimes her voice can be quite scary though.. Like a drunk man..
    When I found out she was a women
    I was shocked !! O.O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Oh! That was going out"

"Oh! That just landed in!"

"He's founnnd the line!"

"Missed it!"

"Good judgment!"

"UNNNBelievable!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introducing LCW:
    "And here we have the current world number one, Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia...Twenty-nine years of age, born in Penang...And just look at that win-loss record for the year, (number) to (number)...(number) tournaments, (number) finals, winning (number) of them...Now that is just incredible...A great ambassador for the sport, not just in Asia but all over the world...Disposed of (player) in yesterday's (stage) twenty-one (number), (deliberately and slowly) twenty-one (number)..."

Introducing LD:
    "And his opponent of today, the reigning world and olympic champion, Lin (slight pause for effect) Dan...Twenty-eight(I don't know why she always emphasizes the eight), born in Fujian (fulschiaaan) province...(number) career titles, including four world championship titles...Played a marathon match yesterday against (player), coming through (score)..."

Introducing Taufik:
    "And here's the former world and olympic champion, Taufik (again, slight pause for effect) Hidayat...Twice the beaten finalist here at the All England Championships, back in nineteen-ninety-nine and two thousand, lost out to Peter Gade and Xia (Shia) Xuan(Shuuan) Ze (Zeeeeee!) respectively..."

Introducing PG:
    "And there's the reigning European Champion,in fact the (number) time European Champion, Peter Hoeg Gade...current world ranking of (number), from (number) tournaments this year and (number) finals, and when you consider that he is thirty-four years of age, that is impressive...and he has been at the top of the world game for so long..."

Introducing any "unknown" player(s):
    "And here comes the (nationality) youngster(s) (which shall henceforth be the name of the player(s) for the remainder of the tournament). And my goodness what a run they've had this week here at (stadium)"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reading all this, her voice is like clearly in my head now.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"this is getting better and better...."

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

GC seems to be much more muted in recent coverage. i wonder if she has read this thread and became more self-concious?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Ohhh that was just long of the back line, good call by the line judge"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    GC seems to be much more muted in recent coverage. i wonder if she has read this thread and became more self-concious?
    Lol sounds like your feeling guilty

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Lol sounds like your feeling guilty
    not really. i hope if she sees it she will be more aware and work on improving the repertoire of phrases she use, as to be honest, the current set is starting to become stale, as you can see that we can recite them pretty easily here already.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really. i hope if she sees it she will be more aware and work on improving the repertoire of phrases she use, as to be honest, the current set is starting to become stale, as you can see that we can recite them pretty easily here already.
    Task master. Maybe we should start a new thread to help build a new repetoire of phrases for her i bet you we would struggle. Main problem with commentary i think is the camera work not part of the same control as commentary, so like in most sports - analysing, reviews etc can be done on command, where as she just picks up feed and has to deal with what she is given.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmm, well many times, she has to comment on her own. Many commentary teams in other sports work in pairs.

To be fair, it's not an easy job to do on one's own. Even Top Gear has a team.

I must say, when she is paired up with Morten Frost, PoulErik Hoyer Larsen and other knowledgable explayers, it has been very good with the mix of technical analysis and general talk. Well, I have enjoyed it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to say
    Gillian Clark used to go to the badminton club I go to now when she used to play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, she really needs to improve her repertoire of phrases. i'm tired of hearing her recycled negative comments reserved for CHN players:
    "i'm surprised that the umpire has not reacted to [insert over-responsive CHN player]'s gesture of indicating the shuttle going wide to try to influence the line judge."

(she's never surprised with the umpire however whenever others like Fischer and Gade do the same. if it can be said hand on heart that there is no bias on GC's part, then this kind of what-screams-to-me-as-double-standards act only suggests one of two things: either, that 1) umpires are supposed to pick only on the Chinese to reprimand regarding this or, that 2) only the chinese are capable of influencing linesmen with their gestures and should ofcourse therefore be condemned for their deviousness. but what kind of a responsible commentator sets out to insinuate such points?)

and if i got a dollar for each time she chose to talk about delaying tactics whenever the chinese asked to towel down/ dried the sweat off the floor/ took time before serving/taking a service, but go into mute mode whenever other europeans do exactly the same (often in the same match).

a few years ago, i would have heartily agreed that GC was the Voice of Badminton. i was always gleeful to hear her exclaim 'unbeLievable!' and 'oh my, Goodness!' during a match. but now she does more than just giving commentary. she gives prejudiced commentary. i think it's very irresponsible to be making comments, often with disgustingly great surety, that brand a person in a bad way, especially because there is no chance for the accused to argue otherwise. and i should think after being a commentator for so many years, Gill would be more professional at it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Hmm, well many times, she has to comment on her own. Many commentary teams in other sports work in pairs.

To be fair, it's not an easy job to do on one's own. Even Top Gear has a team.

I must say, when she is paired up with Morten Frost, PoulErik Hoyer Larsen and other knowledgable explayers, it has been very good with the mix of technical analysis and general talk. Well, I have enjoyed it!
    Agree. Commentating in pairs should be a regular fixture for BWF events. The question is whether they can afford to pay another person to sit next to GC.

I think GC is doing a fantastic job but yes, it's always nicer to have some interplay during commentary

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^^ Paired commentary in the finals perhaps. But not needed prior. The Chinese paired commentaries are the worst! They just don't know when to stop and keep talking nonstop throughout the match, oftentimes about things that are irrelevant to the action on screen.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast