Apacs Lethal 70 and Tantrum 200/300

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by KinkySmasher, Oct 24, 2011.

1. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

Every review I see, many people seems to say that these two rackets are the best things since sliced bread. Are they really that good? How do they compare to high end Yonex/Victor/Lining at half the price?

2. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Whether a racket is great, this is subjective in my opinion. Every player has their own preference and expectations.
    That said, there are many people who believe L70 and T300 are amongst the great rackets in the market (especially value).

Antony from UK has written good reviews on these rackets, check them out:
    Apacs Tantrum T300 review
    http://badminton-racket.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&max-results=6

Apacs Lethal 70 review
    http://badminton-racket.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html

Having owned both of these rackets as well as Yonex, I must say I like both T300 and L70 a lot.
    For simple reasons, I find these rackets fit my playing style and have no complaints about them.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I have used all the high end lining and yonex rackets and found that every one to be far superior to lethal 70. In fact the lethal 70 or the one i got at least was terrible. Still keep it in the bag for a laugh down at my club when i get people to try and use it. Nobody can. Please try it first because if you get one of these good ones that everybody keeps talking about then your sorted.

4. KinkySmasher

Yeah I have seen those. And some others. With that kind of review, it seems to me that they might be better than Yonex/Lining/Victor's more expensive rackets.

Why is that? I mean, even if it's not great for you, it can't be unplayable can it? I find even my $10 racket is still playable, only not great.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I don't know mate i asked that very same question to apacs. They said it must be me but i passed it around a bit to find out. The problem was you spent double the amount of energy getting half the amount back, it was just really hard work. Take it or leave it, I just know i bought it because everyone online said it was the best thing since sliced bread but it was not true for me or about a dozen other folk that tried mine.

6. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    T200 is good in smashing. I can smash harder with T200 compare to, say BS09 or VT80(im not that good to handle VT80). L70, i have no idea.

7. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    In terms of smashing, I find L70 more powerful and effective. But to get that effect, you need to push it a little bit harder than T300. I find L70 is more suited with offensive play.T300 is also good with offense. In fact, this is a good all round racket, which is great for attack and defense.

8. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Flex?

Which one of these racquets are more flexible?

9. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    both are stiff if im not mistaken. and if you wish to have more flexible shaft, go for T500...

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Each racket suits a particular player, defensive or offensive, smasher or stroker...I used APAC LT50, I only regret I did not get a second one when I was in MAS. I bought my wife a T200, and that is a good racket as well. Next year, when we go home to MAS, we will get another APAC, but it would be a LT70 or higher, as I think the LT50 will be obsolete.
    When I break the string, I used a different racket and it affects my play. So when I see player keep changing racket during play, that I don't understand. Rackets at the high end differs so little from each other, but a lot of people's mentally is to go get the latest believing it is the greatest. Well, good businiess for LN and YY, and good for us all otherwise they will be no sponsors for all these SS we are watching. APAC LT50/T200 cost <50% of top end YY and LN.
    Just the thought I paid cheap for a LT50 than a YY/LN, that inspires me to play better, why spend more when I don't have to?;)
    I think APAC is too polite to tell you the problem is not with APAC racket since so many people attest that the racket is good, but it is the player;)

11. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I second to OTB comments. Every player has their own preference and expectation on racket. What works for you may not be the same for another player who shares similar playing style. I am sure there are those who tried Apacs and said "on, it's no good" and still prefered their Yonex, that's fine. But there are many others who disagree. When I first hold a Apacs and find the racket suits my play, at half of the price of mainstream brands, hey, I know it's a great deal (value). I'm now a Apacs fan. :D

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I agree it was polite and amazing service for Apacs to reply. But you are slightly off with your other assumptions. First of all it was the racket I prooved that. I got more people to test it remember. The people and myself who tested it are no mugs, all league 1&2. We know that timing needs adjusted etc we didn't just pick it up hit a couple of shots and say it was rubbish and put it down. Also coincedently among them i got probably the best defensive touch player in the league to use it and the hardest hitter(both real quality players) so got a broad spectrum of playing styles. I should mention also that i had never used a yonex in my 10 years of playing before i got my first one just after i gave in on the L70. So I am not one of those - {I am rubbish but a yonex nut so i will buy a z slash and not use my strings all night.} I have used a fair few rackets in my time and have always enjoyed them whilst some might not of optimised my game, none acted completely alien except for the L70. So in this case the whole "it is the player" is kind of stretching it. I am not Apacs bashing I just wish i had seen a couple of bad reviews before buying mine. My advice is don't buy a expensive racket that you can't test.(apacs was expensive £90 when i got mine not fraction of price of other high enders)

P.s Apacs if you want me to run testing evenings in Scotland i am happy to do so:D

13. KinkySmasher

Hmm I would assume then it was just that particular racket. Maybe bad batch. I notice people have questioned Apacs' quality control.

What is the problem exactly? Is it too stiff/too flex/too heavy? Have you check the BP/racket length? Change strings? There must be one or more of these things that's gone horribly wrong in the production process for good players deeming a racket unplayable.

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    When I bought my APACS in MAS in 2009, I paid RM220 for LT50 and comes with BG65 string, APAC oversized bad and grip. LD's LN and LCW/TH YY are on sale as well, price RM900 and RM750 before discount respectively. I did not even bother to ask what the actual dicsounted price for LN and YY.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Good for you! In uk november 2010 apacs L70 RM444.46 yonex arcsaber 10 RM642.07.
    I admit Scotland may not be as cheap as malaysia or as sunny or as nice but....... argh! ok you win.;)

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

tried tensions 20 up to 28 in 2's even though i play 24. Weighed it and measure balance point and all was good. Not too flex weight not to heavy. The main biggest problem was power. For instance give me any racket and feed me a new right speeded shuttle and i could, if hit as hard as i could from backline would clear the other back line by about 2-3 feet. Apacs double service line. In conclusion the apacs is about 4 feet slower:D. Sorry bad explination but yeah after half a game i was completely burned out and had to put it down use another racket, playing my normal shots in a normal game. I agree something must have went horribly wrong.

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I

have not been to Scotland or the UK, one day for sure I would. UK is expensive, more so than Canada, as my colleague told me. As for MAS, shopping is cheap if you factor in the currency conversion, especially with your pound and shop till you drop that is true, the beaches are nice, the food (being an ex-malaysian myself I am bias) I can only dream about, the people (I am referring to my childhood friends, brother and sisters) are great and warm, now...as for sunny...err, that may be a little too hot for me after 30+ years living in Canada and the humidity, air pollution and the darn mosquitoes (they know where to find me) those are another story to tell:D
    Now, if you like the YY/LN high end rackets, go for it, life is short. If I am a lot younger, I would buy the best racket I could, but these days, badminton for me is just socializing with friends and accompanying my wife as she indulge in playing the sport and probably an over-the-hill, late bloomer:D

#17 OneToughBirdie, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  18. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

the apacs rackets are a moot point now, the price is jacked up so high, it's nearly impossible to get a decent price any more on them rackets... just stick with yonex, there's a bunch of good yonex out there in the 100-150 range (which is what the apacs are now with the shipping costs and everything)...

1-2 years ago I was able to get a lethal 50 for like 50 bucks shipped. that was the best deal ever, it's a really good racket, i don't know about the ones after that since I was never able to get any more cheap apacs.

19. KinkySmasher

Anyways, does any other racket beat Apacs in its 45 lbs tension and 4 degrees twist angle claim yet? :p