Building badminton gym

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by zapmeister, Oct 24, 2011.

1. zapmeister

zapmeister New Member

Hi I'm new to this forum and this is my first time posting. I was just wondering if any of you guys can advise me about building a badminton club / gym. I'm here in the US at the moment and thinking of moving back to my home country Philippines and build a badminton gym. I'm thinking of building an indoor gym with about 6-9 courts on it. Need advise on lighting and specially the flooring. I totally have no clue about the flooring as im not a badminton player really. I thought of building this because i know of a good location with a possible good amount of people that would get in to. The flooring is my main concern. Thanks in advance. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ray

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    few recommendation especially about lightning
    please do not let the player contact with the light sources right away (close it with fabric would be good)
    because it is too bright and it always hinder people to play
    I got annoyed with lightning in fitness center in Newcastle, it's so bright and the position is on the TOP where I got blind for few seconds (when receiving high lift) and really destroy my timings

flooring? the best you can get is special flooring (badminton mat) for badminton, it made out of rubber (PVC?)
    checked it online, don't buy it from alibaba because they sell counterfeit products

3. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I agree with Avenger. When it comes to Badminton gym, lighting and flooring are some of the fundamental factors to be looked at.

Lighting
    Please make sure the lightings are located at the side of the Badminton courts, not above it. Why? In any Badminton games, players will always lift or play clear shots to their opponent. If lights are above the courts, this will affect a player visibility to see the birdie travelling in air.

Flooring
    There are different materials. Many newer gyms have equipped with rubber floor mats while hardwood flooring is also quite common. For rubber floor mats, you can go with brand names such as Yonex, Victor, Kason; there are also non-brand names from local manufacturer. You need to do some research on cost and quality as you want a durable lasting mat.

Infrastructure
    Other than the above 2 aspects, most gym owners would want to fit as many courts as they can be. However, you need to have a safe gap or distance between the courts, so people can enter and leave safely without disrupting other games in play. Often times, this is be being compromised. Philippines is not a cold country, you need not worry about heater. On the other hand, you need to have proper air ventilation or AC. Imagine playing in a gym that has no air ventilation in a hot and humid country.

Operations
    How do you want to manage your courts? Will these courts be available for court rentals, casual drop-ins, or private coaching? You need to determine what works best for you. When it comes to booking, will this be manual or using application system? There is nothing wrong with manual, but please make sure there is no error in making reservation. Do you have any contacts with local Badminton clubs, coaches, or schools? If you can get them to rent your gym on regular basis, that would be a very good thing. It will also help if you establish a network with local Badminton retailer, who can provides you with sales and stringing services. There is another thing you can consider, that’s to sponsor a local open Badminton tournament at your gym either independently or jointly.

Just some thoughts.