Backhand crosscourt drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by riuryK, Oct 25, 2011.

1. riuryK

riuryK Regular Member

Programmer
    Hi guys,

I have a technical question regarding this stroke. I really like it, and I think it's a nice weapon since your rival tends to fully commit very often to your backhand straight drop instead. So a good crosscourt is really surprising here.

What I wanted to ask is the way you perform the crosscourt angle. Is it just a matter of how you direct your raquet face to the shuttle, in other words just with your wrist/forehand or do you change the grip from a bevel one to a panhandle grip in order to achieve this sharp angle?

Thanks a lot for your anwers.

2. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

3. riuryK

riuryK Regular Member

Programmer
    Yes, I have, thanks a lot. In fact I know the difference when the shuttle in aligned with your body or behind. In the latter you must use the panhandle grip in order to return the shuttle, otherwise it'll go wide. But I wasn't sure about the grip when the shuttle has not passed behind your body yet. Well, it seems you can use the bevel grip and just turn a little bit the racket face.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I dont change my grip at all when i hit my back hands slice, I slimply don't rotate my wrist as open as I would when I hit a stright backhand drop. I take my full swing and let it go.

now if the shuttle is low, I come around the shuttle more so I can get the raquet angle correct. This is not as effective though as opponent can see it coming if you set your wrist too soon.

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

To get the angle, even if you are chasing a really deep push into your backhand corner, you need to change your grip from bevel grip to panhandle and then apply slice when you hit your shot. The motion looks like you're waving your hand from left to right (or as I like to think of it, "window washing"). You can generate sufficient angle that you could hit it way out of court if you wanted to.

A little late for making a video now but if you are interested I can make a really quick candid one to show you what I mean. Let me know.

6. riuryK

riuryK Regular Member

Programmer
    Thanks a lot for your answer. I think I got it, but if you can do that video, that would be really great. Thanks again.

7. wjxmonkey

wjxmonkey Regular Member

in that video,the coach doesn't recommend us (even for professional play)to use backhand,try to use forehand cause that is more powerful:)what u need to do is just to turn around

8. thejym

thejym Regular Member

There are some shots which are nearly impossible to do with a forehand in the backhand corner and still be in a good, balanced state to get to the next shot (e.g. really flat push deep into your backhand corner). Coaches like to discourage using backhand because for shots where you have enough time to get there with a forehand, the forehand is almost always the more pressuring stroke (I say almost always because I did once encounter someone who's backhand smash was actually stronger than his forehand, but that's very unusual and probably not in a good way). It doesn't mean it's not important to learn how to hit backhand shots -- it's always better to have more tools than less. When you choose to use your tools is a different matter.

9. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I use this shot all the time, not recommended if you can't do a backhand clear as you'll become predictable making this shot a suicide.

10. wjxmonkey

wjxmonkey Regular Member

but the fact is that few amatuer can do a backhand clear ,even some professional player can't do that very well