HEAD Badminton Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Rahim, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Rahim

Rahim Regular Member

Lecturer
    hi all. it seems like nobody start the thread for HEAD racket. Anyway, anyone has experience using this brand? I'm interested to know more about HEAD Nano Power 890. Have chance to hold & swing it without string. Feel very nice & light.

2. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    Personal opinion. Are you a new player? If not..better buy some popular brand like yonex, victor, li-ning, apacs? And what is your budget? If your budget is like around 300++, there is plenty choice of those branded racket which you can choose. I didnt get the chance to try out head racket but my friend used to had a head racket. I did hold it and have a few swing and it didnt give me much good feeling on it. If you are a beginner. Some yonex and li-ning low end racket also not bad. But li-ning low range racket is a little bit of poor design such as the ultra carbon series.

3. Rahim

Rahim Regular Member

Lecturer
    Tq for ur advice.

4. henghun

henghun Regular Member

hi Rahim,

I'm using Head rackets and I have used Metallix 8000 and Yonex Titanium Mesh.
    To be honest, Head rackets are awesome but again it all depends on you.

The best idea is to try out your friends' rackets.

Cheers,
    henghun

5. kiradeathnote

kiradeathnote Regular Member

student
    Dont worry about the Head brand. They make good racquets. I have the metallix 8000 and 4000 both are my worthy friends. My opinion is they make good racquets just like other brands like yonex, li ning whatsoever.

greetzz..

6. eldeeyell

eldeeyell Regular Member

student
    I have had a Metallix 2000, 4000, and 10000 tour. the 2000 and 4000 are dependable enough for beginner and mid-level play. flexible, durable, feels good to swing. i eventually opted for something with more stiffness and power, and stuck with Head because i've had very good experiences with them thus far.

the 10000 tour took some time to adjust to. it's advertised as a medium stiff racket, but it felt a little stiffer than that. but man... it packs a punch. i'm not the hardest smasher, but it would definitely give me an edge in regular play. not the best racket if you like to place shots your shots with precision, but you can get good results with practice.

overall, i love Head. it's very good value for money, especially when comparing them with popular brands. it's a "risk" that paid off big time.

i'm already looking at the Head Youtek Flash.

7. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

Get the Head Metallix 10000 or the later Head 10000 do some smashing then compare with other Yonex or Li Ning head heavy rackets, you can tell Head knows how to make racquets.

8. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

Hi all,

at the end is your footwork and stroke won the game.

String, tension then racker come later. Hope this help.

Why not try Apex?

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Apex? Who are they? Maybe you mean apacs?

Op can't have searched very well as there are several threads on Head rackets. However, Head will not be making any more badminton rackets. The metallix/power helix/neon rackets are pretty good, though.

10. eldeeyell

eldeeyell Regular Member

student
    When did Head decide to stop making rackets? I noticed that they no longer have a badminton section on their website.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i have only used two head rackets, the nano power 500, and the power helix 8000.

i will retired the nano power 500 very soon since badminton alley in sunnyvale stop selling it, and badminton.net in san diego is having a closeout type sale on this particular racket. to be honest, if you are a beginner, any low end racket will do, and at around $45, this racket is great. because of the widebody frame, i was able to generate decent power. and considered that i enjoy a bigger grip, most head rackets comes with a thicker handle than yonex G4 size. i last strung it with yonex BG66 ultimax and it was amazing, granted the string was 3~4 months old already, it provided amazing power and enough control for me for a decent game. the one thing i didn't like was the quality of the protective coat on the shaft, the clear coat or "plastic wrap" came off quite quickly and then the paint learn the cone started chipping, but mainly due to me scraping it away :)

i just recently bought a power helix 8000 because it was also a closeout deal at badminton alley for $90. after playing with the racket strung with stock head strings, i figure that the racket is even balance to a tiny bit head heavy, which is very good balance for my game. i am waiting for the strings on my carlton rackets to break, then restring the head racket with victor vs850 strings to see if it feels as good as my carlton vapour trail vanquish since that's my go-to racket at the moment. again the power helix is nice because of the size of the handle, just a bit thicker than G4 of yonex.

if you choose head, as long as it's a full graphite racket, which will start at around $45 USD, you can't really go wrong. with an even balance racket to learn badminton on and eventually, you'll figure out your preference then you can go to a more specific model of rackets from a different brand.

i am not sure why head deleted their section of badminton equipment but i can say that around the bay area clubs, there aren't that many people using head rackets, which is a shame because they are very good rackets in my opinion. at our level, i think brand names is the last thing on your list. :)

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

13. thunderracket

thunderracket Regular Member

None
    I have 3 HEAD rackets,it's kinda cool to use this brand.It's like a mix of s of Prince and Yonex together

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    Current Head racket I have that's still in production is the Radical but it's for tennis!