So, yr friend broke yr string.....

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by S.fusion, Oct 26, 2011.

1. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

I am sure this happens a lot. You lend a racket to a friend and the string snapped after a smash. do you request him to restring the racket or you restring out of yr own expense.This has happened twice in my experience but I never demanded my mates to pay for it. Then a few days ago, an incident happened in my club and this guy wanted his friend to pay for it, is this fair?

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    except it's a new string (few times used), I don't think it is ethical to ask for that person pay for the string

any strings would snap, that's the way it is, so I don't see any reason to say "it's your fault the string broke and I demand you to pay the string"

it's like saying: I have 10 years old cheap DVD player and I lend it to you
    when you use it, it broke for unknown reason
    there is no way I would say: you broke it, you need to buy a new one for me
    unfair right?

unless it is something really valuable, I see no reason to fight over it..
    P.S: I would be really happy if someone could snap my racket's string. I want to restring it but the string didn't snap (so I have no reason to restring it even though I really want to try another string, lol)

#2 Avenger, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I've had my friends snap my strings and I've never asked them to pay for it. Partly because I string my own racquets now so the cost is pretty much nothing.
    But when I lent people racquets in the past if a string broke I used to pay for it because it happens all the time, if they offered to pay I would go halves with them.

I think the other guy should offer to pay, but if the strings were worn when he started then it's the owners responsibility.

4. Monster

Monster Regular Member

If you have ever thought of asking your friend to pay when the string snaps, don't bother lending your racket.

5. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

As a matter of fact, the said racket was only restrung 2 weeks ago. (luckily not mine). The string snapped at the top n he wasn't a consistent player. Personally, I think it was a mishit tht broke the string.However I think it's a good gesture to offer to bear half the cost since the friend was kind enough to lend his racket in the first place. What if a friend broke yr racket after a clash?

6. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Haha, that's exactly the same with me. I have factory strings but my parents don't want me to restring until they snap! :(

7. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

There is something we call scissor :)

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Agreed. If I were to wait until my string breaks then it might be over a year if I were to be consistent in my shots n keep on hitting the sweetspot (strung at reasonable < 25lbs). I always cut my strings when somehow they 'loosen-up' or not as repulsive, somewhere between a month to 3-4months.

9. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Or even a few years if strung loosely at < 20lbs and no mishit outside the sweetspot of the racket. Somehow strings lose some of their playability/performance after a certain length of usage. How long? Up to you n your skills to determine that it is time to restring or not.

10. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i trust that my frd will pay me the cost of the re-string.

if not, he wont b touching my racket anymore for the rest of my life.

i see it as a matter of trust rather than money.

since i lent him, i trust him.

same as yr car, if u dun trust yr frd, will u lent him?

11. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

The question here is not abt trust. It's abt cost and intend. Noon would intentionally crash a car or break the string. Because restring is inexpensive, you normally would let him off. No friends should let a couple of "big mac" to come between them, right?However, if he breaks my racket, intentionally or not, he will have to pay for it. The same goes for carS.

12. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Yep, but my parents don't want to spend money on re-stringing unless they have to :(

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

This happen once to my racket.. And i asked my friend to restring it for me.. of course, he has to pay all the expenses..;)