Problem with purchase. Need your advice

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Tammy, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I had problems with the purchase of a Yonex racquet from a person on this forum. To put it nicely, one problem is "false advertising", something along the line "My racquet is mint, no scratches, no chips", but the number of paint chips on the racquet makes it look like the surface of the moon (I stopped counting after finding 10 chips, big and small). Worse, there was no thermal cover, just the racquet, which he also failed to mention in his ad. But the worst thing is he ignored all my emails. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, thinking this may be an honest mistake and he might have sent me the wrong racquet. So I sent him 3, 4 emails to his work address, suggesting ways to work things out. All were ignored.

I've been so busy with my work and decided it was not worth my time chasing after him for a refund (this happened 6, 7 weeks ago). The racquet is a mid-range Yonex and it's usable (although it's a total rip-off for the price given its condition and no cover).

But then I've seen him post many messages on the forum to sell his racquets (that's how I know he ignored my emails). He even made an offer to a person A that I know (A and I go to the same university). Of course I had to warn A about this seller.

I have another story about his selling/trading but I won't bother you with the details. The bottom line is he'd try to get you into a sale/trade. Once the transaction is completed and you're stuck with whatever he sent you, there's no way to complain or talk to him to work out the problems.

My question is should I warn other people as well. I'd hate to see people being ripped off by dishonest sellers/traders. But I don't know the rules of this forum about how to deal with them. That's why I don't mention his name here. The forum moderators would know this best.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    That's a tough one since s/he is ignoring your e-mails and PMs. Since the transaction is not done via eBay, you don't have the benefit of eBay's fraud protection.

The only thing I could suggest is that you post a message so that he cannot ignore it and have to respond (this of course put everything out in the open) so you might want to PM him/her and leave a post for him/her to check his/her PM.

Right now, based on your description, anyone on the forum wanting to sell/trade a racquet is suspect which I think is not too fair to the other posters. Another is to ask Cheung/Mag/Kwun on how they would want to approach this particular problem by providing them with the details (via PM).

Good luck.

p.s. One of the great thing (feature) of this forum is that I would like to think that we (the posters) having gotten to know each other via PMs, postings, etc. and that we all are trustworthy and able to conduct ourselves in a manner that is dignified, upstanding, honest and reliable.

#2 Winex West Can, Jun 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sorry to hear about your situation, the dark side of buying stuff online. I'm not the moderator here but here is my suggestion. I suggest you let people PM you if they want to know that person's user name. Also, people should buy stuffs from people you are familar with but this call for some judgement of character by the buyer

4. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    I have 20 extra thermal covers. PM me and I'll send to you one no charge. Dishonest people need to discover how much better life is when they accept responsibility. Sorry for your trust to be violated Tammy.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Tammy,

Sorry about ur story. I have to say, u r the unlucky one got hit by the small percentage of dishonest ppl. This kinda ppl exist everywhere, in this forum, as well as other places.

My suggestion is, PM / Email to warn him/her again, and set a deadline about replying (maybe 2 weeks). If s/he continues to ignore ur messages, then, I think public his/her username is the proper way of protecting the entire community.

Not sure whether my idea is acceptable or not.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am aware of Tammy's problem. i didn't know if it was resolved, and looks like it hasn't been yet.

i too dislike dishonest people. i know who the seller is, he frequent this forum and i hope he will resolve the issue now that Tammy has raised it.

if he refuses to or continues to ignore the request. i need to consult the other mods first on the appropriate policy on how to handle the case and similar cases in the future.

7. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I just realized this problem too, and I apologize to the honest sellers/traders on the forum. If you are involved in a transaction or thinking of buying/trading, please PM me and I'll let you know his user name. Again I'm sorry.

My intention when posting the warning is to make this Market Place a safe, clean place. I hate to see a bad apple spoil the whole bunch. I don't expect to get anything back from that person.

Thank you for all your advice so far (and the nice offer from eggroll).

TrunkZ69, I replied your PM but your mailbox is full. I'll try to send you an email. If you don't get it, please clean your PM box and let me know.

#7 Tammy, Jun 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just to let members now, we are discussing the situation. Though from how I see the problem, the solution may be far from satisfactory. This is a problem that was bound to come up sooner or later. Thank you for bringing up the issue.

9. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

An update ...

Just an update ... I just received an email from that seller, promising to resolve the problem. I'm sure this is the result of the responses to my first posting. Thank you all! I will let you know when the problem is completely resolved.