ProKennex Carbonpro 787 Strung Tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Smashguy, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Since my Carbonpro 787 with original strings were broke, I am going to restrung it with YY strings.

Then, I want to know how many tension it can be strung and which model of string suit it well.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    According to my expereince (a friend used to own this racket), I don';t think this racket can take way too much tension. My suggestion is don't go more than 22lb, and maybe 20 or 21 is the safest range.

As the racket itself is more like a beginner / int. level racket, I don't think u really need the fancy string such as 88Ti or CBN100. If u want to save $$$, BG65/70Pro should be a safe and cheap choice. However, if in HK, the string is cheaper, so as labor, u might consider upgrade it to 80/85 range, if u do like the better performance and being able to afford the price.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This racquet is very interesting!

The orginal was very good. There were a number of cosmetic changes. With later cosmetic changes, it seemed the racquet got more flimsy. This is only a general impression. I just get the feeling that recent versions are not as robust as the older ones.

I used to string the older versions at 24 x 24 with BG65 on a 6 point drop weight machine. This is the grey colour and green colour version.

I think it cannot go much higher than that. One time I strung it at 25 x 25 with a string that doesn't stretch much. The string pulled in and broke the frame at the top. Since the racquet was relatively cheap compared to Yonex, I wasn't too concerned. Still had five other 787's!! But it was a learning experience.

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Cheung,

Did you have the Green edition of the Blue and gray (think it was) edition. There were only 2 old colours available in Crabonpro 787. They were pretty good. Advised not to go over 21 or 22 Lbs. I had the Green edition and an old grey and blue edition.

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Oops. Did not read that you had the green edition!

sorry

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nice to know you are still around:)

7. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Mine is the 'contemporary' version (black in colour) which is (I think) 3U.

Would you guys who have the old verions post the photos of them?

P.S.: My friend bought the black new version recently and I find his racket is much heavier than mine! (around U-2U) and the balance point is 313mm compare with mine 294mm. The house strung tension is heavier than mine too (His-@20lbs , Mine-@18lbs). I think ProKennex quality check is worse than YY.

#7 Smashguy, Jun 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2003
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If ur friend has 2U and u have 3U, then, I won't be surprised that his racket takes a little bit higher tension (even factory default strung). Even like Yonex, 2U sometimes has higher tension than 3U, I believe.

For the balance point, did u check with the same grip, and same string? If not (i.e, one person has an extra layer of thick over grip, the other one not), it might make a big impact, as well.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

purchased around 1990

Attached Files:

10. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

Both house grip of the rackets are the same colour, pattern and material. But the cone of the heavier version has the label "SL-2" and the lighter version has "SL-3" label. Is it significant? (I guess it refer to the grip size that like YY's "G", and I found that SL-2 has a larger grip size than SL-3. It's weire, larger grip but has 313mm balance point!).