User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Power Overall

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by urameatball View Post

In most sports, if you feel you've worked your muscles too hard in one session, you take an ice bath afterwards so you can push even harder the next day. Won't happen for you guys though, you'll dip your feet in the ice water and start crying because it's too cold, lol.
    Lol. Where are you getting this stuff? Please be careful with your claims you are basically trying to encourage a 15 year old boy to push to the limits of his muscles everyday then take an ice bath(ice baths by the way are not proven to help) and push harder the next day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In most sports, if you feel you've worked your muscles too hard in one session, you take an ice bath afterwards so you can push even harder the next day. Won't happen for you guys though, you'll dip your feet in the ice water and start crying because it's too cold, lol.
    I find your ignorance quite funny You obviously know nothing about the human body. Here's how exercise works:
    By exercising you destroy muscle tissue, when it repairs it grows back but this time there is more of it than last time. It can only grow back in rest periods.
    So if you overtrain basically all you're doing is destroying your muscles and reducing strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Lol. Where are you getting this stuff? Please be careful with your claims you are basically trying to encourage a 15 year old boy to push to the limits of his muscles everyday then take an ice bath(ice baths by the way are not proven to help) and push harder the next day.
    That was simply an example of how the body can be pushed MUUUUUUUUUUCH harder, and that ilostmybrain is ABSOLUTELY NOT overtraining. Sorry you mistook it as a suggestion for a 15year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud7z View Post
    I find your ignorance quite funny You obviously know nothing about the human body. Here's how exercise works:
    By exercising you destroy muscle tissue, when it repairs it grows back but this time there is more of it than last time. It can only grow back in rest periods.
    So if you overtrain basically all you're doing is destroying your muscles and reducing strength.
    Lets put things into perspective. someone doing a 5k jog can obviously do it daily and improve your overall fitness by doing so. Whereas if you run a 40+k marathon, doing THAT daily will not only be bad for your muscles, but for your overall physical health (hence, overtraining).

So let me ask you this, is ilostmybrain's training regiment more similar to a 5k jog, or a marathon run?

I personally consider his exercise regiment to be fairly light and comparable to a warm-up exercise for competitively players. If you feel that's overtraining, then good luck with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather than argue about who thinks they know the most about exercise physiology/metabolism could we go back to suggestions to help him gain power?

Have you ever played about with your string tension? You may have strings too lose/tight for your technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24-25 tension usually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds pretty mid-range so should be ok.
    Have you ever received any coaching?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was simply an example of how the body can be pushed MUUUUUUUUUUCH harder, and that ilostmybrain is ABSOLUTELY NOT overtraining. Sorry you mistook it as a suggestion for a 15year old.
    No mistake check out thread starter, the persons question your supposed to be answering. I don't think he is over training by the way he will just not build stength effectively not allowing repair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, i have recieved coaching several times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a combination of technique, muscle type, and flexibility.
    I've seen tiny 3' tall kids hitting way harder than 6' tall big muscle-bound men.
    Correcting the position, timing and speed of racket swing will do more for your smash than any number of push-ups at this point.

Having said that, my smash's just as shitty or worse than yours.
    I haven't got it all figured out either but doesn't stop me from enjoying the game.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    spoken like a boss!

seriously 50-90 pushup straight? thats insane. maybe you need to train for explosive power, try clapping push ups rather than slow ones.

i'd usually recommend to start doing some heavy weights but you're 15 it'll stunt your growth and i imagine you're pretty fit already :S

as they all say practise on your technique and try to look for a video of someone similar to your built (body shape/frame)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No 1 reason why players have weak smashes is because they try to swing to hard with their shoulders. The shoulder should be relaxed even after finishing a stroke. In badminton fingers plays the most important role. Ever seen a spinning tumbling net shot? The explosive movement in the fingers is what matters. I would advice you to first practice netshots, get the feeling of finger movements. Then you move on to dropshots, fast dropshot/chops , half smashes and then smashes. When you learn all these basics you can apply body rotation and put use of your core muscles into play. The best coach online is Lee jae bok, check some of his videos.For now forget about the technicalities And Remember FINGERS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't do clapping press-ups! They put a lot of strain on your lower back! Unless you have done work on your lower back strength and worked up to this you could cause some damage at your age.
    It's good that you're getting coaching and the LYB videos are a big help.
    Just stay relaxed through the shot until the point of impact. Trying for power = Loss of power.
    I hope your smash improves the way you want it to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can gain far more power with proper techniques than from pure physical training

many big guys can not do a backhand clear with their maximum strength, but a technically trained young teenage can easily do it
    Last edited by fauci; 11-05-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

start with the right technique then progress slowly with strength.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2