Need a racket recommendation for me >.<

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by alanwong76, Oct 28, 2011.

1. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    Previously i bought a arcsaber 10 2UG5, using it is quite heavy for me, it does give me nice and power smash and clear shots but make my hand get easily tired....so then i trade it with arcsaber 10 3UG4, this racket give me more on control but lack of the smashing power and clear shots..

I went for a lesson of badminton class and the coach said that my swing for smash is no problem.

therefore, i am looking for more suitable racket for me. arcsaber 10 2U is heavy for me and cant use for long time, 3U is not that powerful for smashing...

i got 2 racket on my mind that is yonex voltric 80 and victor mx-80. vt-80 is head heavy and mx-80 is wide body... which of you guys would use if at my position ? or any others racket can recommend ?

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Go for the Voltric 80.

3. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A little more background would help.
    What level of play would you put yourself at? Say 1 is novice/beginner, and 5 is good intermediate, 10 is pro...
    Waht do you play mostly? Singles? Doubles? Mixed?
    What's your style? Aggressive/attacking, defensive, all-round?
    What's your hitting style: long swings, short swings?

5. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Red your question about using a different string:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/104207-Should-i-change-my-string
    Since you ask for comment from a Pro, I did not post there.:p

I think the problem is not the string but you tried a heavy racket with a smaller grip size and a light racket with a larger grip size. A larger grip size gives you more control, but will have a negative impact on the wrist speed (power). A small grip will make it easier to use your wrist, but you will suffer in control. Also a racket with a smaller grip feels more heavy and contra to a larger grip which makes the racket feels lighter. That's why I always use the same grip size as reference. I would suggest to use a 3U-G5 racket or a 2U-G4 racket.

6. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

the grip size shouldn't make the racket feel lighter/heavier right? only shifts the balance point.

bigger grip = more control but you'll lose "feeling" so your touch will be off. i had this problem when i decide on my grip as well, so i wrap my grip like a cone :p

i'm not saying you're wrong, my friend plays with 3 overgrips and he has the meanest drops and net play i've seen but his smash suffers though. plus somehow the thicker grip = less strain on the arm

7. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    but now my arcsaber 10 is 3UG4, although the original grip has been taken off by the previous owner, i had the stringer pull out the replacement grip. put a new think replacement grip and with a new overgrip on it.. the feeling is almost same as the arcsaber 10 2UG5 original grip + overgrip... so i think grip size is not a problem for me..

8. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

At least you guys tried. I always bought my rackets in Asia because there was no G4 available here. One time, I bought a G3 racket here in the Netherlands and we couldn't play with it, although we played with the racket before. After a few experiments, we discovered the differences between a small and a large grip. To feel the differences, try to exaggerate things. Put 3 times overgrip and no grip at all. Because the grip is larger, the control is better, but you cannot move your wrist as you like. The larger grip also makes it feel like the racket is lighter because you don't have to hold it so tight. Cannot explain it really. You just have to try and make up your mind. There is a reason why tennis rackets and squash rackets have larger grip.

Play the ARC10 differently. The 3U-G4 more with your wrist, and the 2U-G5 more with swing. I have good results with NBG98, if you really want to try a different string, but the BG66U is already a string with high repulsion. If you get tired from a 2U Arcsaber, you won't like a Voltric. I like the ARC10 and can also play very well with the MX80, but the MX80 will feel heavier, so I don't know if you would like this either. If you like the ARC10, the cheapest way is to use lead tape...

#8 CarbonexFan, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011