Victor Meteor X70 Vs X80

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by enginius, Oct 30, 2011.

1. enginius

enginius Regular Member

I just bought my new Victor Meter X70 last week and find my smashing is rather more effective than using my BS 12 and MX80. With a great grayish design , I feel really kinda cool using this racket. My both BS12 and MX80 used to give me shoulder pain whenever I tried to play offensive(I got shoulder injuries), but with Victor MX70, it reduce a lot . Nonetheless, MX80 is still ahead in term of control and netting. Anyone here have tried vicot MX70?

2. andrewlauhs

andrewlauhs Regular Member

Bro, I m looking for X70... Can u let me know where can I get it in Malaysia? Where did u get it ???

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I have one for sale in the classifieds. Check it out.I just think that the MX70 is a less stiff version of the 80. No more, no less. I think the design of the racket is optimized for stiffness though because I didn't find it as razor accurate as the 80, which is what I like the most about it. If your 12 is giving you shoulder problems, you might consider a different string. My 80 at 23lbs with VS850 gives me an achy shoulder at the end of the session, but my BS12 at 26lbs with BG80 doesn't.

4. photossed

photossed Regular Member

MX80 should be more powerful when smashing.
    However, MX70 is better in control and net.

Due to extra stiffness design for MX80, u will need strength to handle it.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Huh? You have them reversed. I use both, so I would know.

6. enginius

enginius Regular Member

I thought it is other way round. MX80 is for control and MX70 for smashing...and thats what I feel so far using both..

7. photossed

photossed Regular Member

Referring info from:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-101116.html?

Victor MX80 4UG2 Victor MX70 3UG2

String Yonex BG80 (25lbs) String Victor VS850 (24lbs)
    Stiffness – 5/5 Stiffness – 4/5
    Balance – 4/5 Balance – 4/5

Smashes | 9.0 Smashes | 7.8

This is the biggest difference and also the main flaws of MX70. Power in smashes is slightly lacking when compared with MX80 but is comparable to other models like BS11 which i have. MX80 feels slightly more head-heavy even though the balance rating seems to suggest it’s equal. For MX70, due to the mid-stiffness rating, it’s actually easier to wield and it seems to be more “whippy”. As i’ve a past injury to my wrist, certain wrist actions using MX80 causes me some pain but surprising MX70 doesnt and is more manoeuvrable and thus give better angled smashes for me. However i can do better successive smashes using MX70 as the flexiness enable me to bring up the racquet faster to continue another smash if needed. For players looking for more power in smashes, i’m afraid u will be disappointed with the MX70 in general. But wait a minute, there are still plenty MX70 offers which i haven’t explained. Hehe. Furthermore there are some factors which aint constant between both racquets, e.g string used, tension and the grip (MX80 i’ve grip slightly thinner hence the head-heavy feel while i grip the MX70 thicker thus giving a more balanced feel)

Clears | 9.5 Clears | 9.5
    Drives | 8.5 Drives | 9.0
    Drop Shots | 8.5 Drop Shots | 9.0
    Net Play | 8.5 Net Play | 8.2
    Placement | 10 Placement | 10
    Paintwork | 9.0 Paintwork | 9.0

8. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    ^^

Not really a good comparison since there are so many varaibles. 3U vs 4U. BG80 vs VS850. 25lbs vs 24lbs. The generally rule of thumb (from what I gather) is the more flexible the racket...the more power (better smash) can be generated if you don't have an fast explosive swing. The stiffer the racket...the better control. But I could be wrong.

9. photossed

photossed Regular Member

Stiffer racket is more powerful since the response is faster.
    However, the more flexible stiffness rackets are more for control.

You can check on any of the racket chart, ie. Yonex.
    You will find out most of the medium flexible rackets are categorized as "control" rackets instead of offensive rackets.

Cheers!

10. CanucksDynasty

I only look at the Yonex chart as a comparison for Head Heaviness and Head light. I don't understand the replusion/hold chart.

I was under the impression that if you don't have a fast explosive swing that you won't get the super smash you want from a stiff racket. And that you'd be better off with something with a bit more flex.

As for control...I find my MX80 (which is stiffer) gets better accuracy than my VT80.

Meh...maybe the badminton veterans can better explain the flexible/stiffness to power/control.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

photossed, before you go around spreading misinformation, please make sure you're not synthesizing as you go along. ...... It's well known and accepted that given the same string and tension and racket wt, a flexy racket will have more power and less accuracy than a stiff racket. Assuming that the player doesn't overcome the flex racket and can still bend the stiff shaft a bit. ......Likewise, given the same racket, lower tension stringing will give more power and less accuracy than higher tension. ..... Anyone else (other than photossed disagree), please feel free to correct me.

12. CanucksDynasty

13. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Meh, I sort of agree but then also think it's all bullsh*t :D

What I think with rackets, is that say with a given flexibility in the shaft, as you become a better player, you eventually get to the point where you can't impart any greater force to the shaft to bend it - it's at it's elastic limit so you get no additional power.
    As you get stronger, stiffness should go up because your ability to bend a stiffer shaft goes up and therefore you can impart more force onto the racket.

I think the other thing to consider about racket stiffness, is that in my experience stiffer rackets tend to transmit more shock to your arm, so if you're a well undertrained and undisciplined intermediate like me, after a long session you're gunna feel it.
    Classic example of that is last night I played with my BS12 as both my MX80's are in for restringing, and I don't even have half the shoulder soreness that I would have with my MX80 despite the fact that my BS12 is strung 4 pounds higher.

In terms of 'control', I think it's the same thing. The fitter and stronger you are, the more a stiffer racket will give you greater control, but I kinda debate the level at which this contributes to actual accuracy. I think it's a case of 99% of the accuracy equation is the player, not the racket. You can easily sub-consciously compensate for a flexier racket to the point where I think it makes only a minute difference to actual accuracy. I can see situations where a flexier racket might be more accurate in particular hands.

Also note when I say 'flexier' I mean shaft flex, and not torsional stability of the racket as a whole. Torsional instability I think is a bad thing no matter which way you look at it.

14. enginius

enginius Regular Member

I think stiff and flexible are like chicken and egg..both are similar performance..but depend on the user to generate repulsion toward the shuttle. But off course if you have a very strong shoulder, you better use stiff racket coz it will give direct hit to the shuttle without any energy reflection. I used to like stiff racket coz it give me feel of throwing tones of energy. But once you have shoulder pain, try to use flexible and the racket will help you to deliver the energy.

15. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

@enginius: 4U or 3U?

16. enginius

enginius Regular Member

My MX80 and MX70 both are 3U...I never use 4U...:)

17. Simon Loh

Simon Loh Regular Member

Finance
    Hi enginuis, where did u bought mx70 in malaysia? About how much?

18. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

you can get from Racket World (pertama komplex) for rm420 :p was in stock last week

19. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    rm420?.. damn.... the cheapest so far.. are those mx70 on promotion?..

20. andrewlauhs

andrewlauhs Regular Member

i gave Racket World a call just now and they said that they still dun carry Meteor X70 yet... u sure i saw it/buy it there???? i even check with their branch in Bangi, Kota Damansara and as far as Kuantan... also dun have....