User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    SW UK
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Lin Dan's All England Service

    He shakes his racquet repeatedly before making the service. I thought the serve had to be one forward motion, but this is clearly many back and forth.



    Any opinions or comments?

  2. #2
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    11,072
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's normal for him. In the past he used to even do a triple action before hitting the shuttle.

    And Fischer Nielsen does a double one. Here's a thread I started on it.
    http://23.239.2.165/forums/showthrea...gal?styleid=20

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    SW UK
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    It's normal for him. In the past he used to even do a triple action before hitting the shuttle.

    And Fischer Nielsen does a double one. Here's a thread I started on it.
    http://23.239.2.165/forums/showthrea...gal?styleid=20
    How have I never spotted Lin's dreadful serve?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    955
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, that was very hard to see from that angle. But just like I stated in the Joachim thread, he has not yet set the bird. Yes, he's shaking his racket, but he's obviously not in a position to serve yet. This is just from what I can observe from the angle of the video.

    Just like when a player takes a step forward with their front foot before starting their motion, the service has not yet started, therefore a fault cannot be called.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    these actions are not service, just ready for service like walking to service line, gripping the shuttle.....

    all actions hap before service

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    SW UK
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuSSy View Post
    these actions are not service, just ready for service like walking to service line, gripping the shuttle.....

    all actions hap before service
    It looked like he was moving his racket backwards and forwards, and it says:

    9.2 Once the players are ready for the service, the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.

  7. #7
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie-SWUK View Post
    It looked like he was moving his racket backwards and forwards, and it says:

    9.2 Once the players are ready for the service, the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.
    You can argue it either way, basically the message is - you can get away with a lot on service.
    It's not really clear but he appears to be standing on the white centre line when serving from the right hand side aswell. Seen him faulted on this before but not anymore.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,206
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes, it's a fault. no, I don't know why it is never called.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    agree with Russy

    these actions are BEFORE the serve, it's just like loosening up the fingers and wrists, but the serve is with one clean stroke, exaggeration guys, that's obviously not a fault at all, should start a thread with Boe's serve holding the serve like forever, that's clearly a deliberate fault for me.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    berkeley
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    20 second limit

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,206
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mike, the rules define when the start of the serve is... LD has more than one forward motion... Fault.

  12. #12
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    Mike, the rules define when the start of the serve is... LD has more than one forward motion... Fault.
    But their argument is based on the first part of the statement, that players(or LD in this case) aren't quite yet ready for service
    9.2 Once the players are ready for the service the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.

    But they/he look pretty ready to me when he does it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you take the rules literally, it is clearly a fault, no doubt about that!

    But as it's Lin Dan and as he does it consistently (and noone ever complains...), it's not a huge thing and isn't called by the umpire/service judge.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,206
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    But their argument is based on the first part of the statement, that players(or LD in this case) aren't quite yet ready for service
    9.2 Once the players are ready for the service the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.

    But they/he look pretty ready to me when he does it.
    That argument doesn't work. Players are ready when they start *their* serve routine (logical argument not based on rules - why/how could you start your serve if not ready!?). LD's serve routine is illegal.

  15. #15
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,023
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is always a time when players are both standing in position and the player is allowed to bring his racket forward to address the shuttle before starting service and that forward movement to not be considered as start of serve. (not quite ready) Nearly all players do this.

    But in LD case if you look at the above video at 26:05 (a good clear side view) play in you tube @.25 speed you can indeed see this is a clear fault for anyone to see.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •