Torn Ligament + Broken Metatarsal in Foot

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by S11_CI, Nov 3, 2011.

1. S11_CI

S11_CI Regular Member

Playing badminton 10 days ago I stepped back onto left foot, next thing heard a crack / bang and foot gave way. Ankle became swollen to the size of a tennis ball (wish I was joking).

Resulted in a trip to A&E where they took x-rays and diagnosed that I'd broken the 4th metatarsal and chipped a bone in the foot.

Had a temporary plaster cast put on, and then was back 7 days later (so about 3 days ago from today), when the consultant had the temporary cast removed, checked the foot and said that I've torn a ligament in the foot (outer side) as well as the metatarsal injury. It was still swollen around the ankle area but not as bad as before. No bruising on the affected area though. I was more concerned about this than the consultant, but subsequent reading would suggest because I didn't have much chance to put ice on it (as it was put in a cast within hours of the injury), this might explain it. I'm still keeping the affected foot elevated above heart level all day (work from home) and putting it on a couple of pillows at night.

Now in a weight bearing permanent plaster cast, and told I'll be in it for 6 weeks and can slowly start to put some weight on the foot. Back there in 3 weeks for a check up where they'll remove it, check everything over and fit another one.

Has anyone else been in this situation, specifically with ligament damage? If so, does the above course of events sound about right (I'd hoped for a removable boot but it seems there's quite a bit of movement in the foot due to the torn ligament and so that wasn't an option?). Is that amount of swelling, still there after a week, typical?

Guess I'm just looking for some reassurances, as well as making sure that moving forward (no pun intended) I do the right things to rebuild strength and not rush into anything.

2. Koyori

Koyori Regular Member

Don't worry, after 3-4months later you can play again. I got into the same situation while playing basketball and took me 4months to regain the full strength.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are many, many ligaments in the foot! Each ligament would probably have different effects.

4. S11_CI

S11_CI Regular Member

Sorry for bringing up a really old thread I started - happy to say that I progressed from a plaster cast after 5 weeks to what felt like learning how to walk again.

Had physio weekly for 3 months before starting to get back into playing badminton.

Nearly 5 months on feel like I'm back to where I was before the injury, although still have some scar tissue remaining. This is slowly but surely going through continued exercise!

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    back then, did the doctor prescribe any medication? anti-inflammation drugs?

6. S11_CI

S11_CI Regular Member

No - just plenty of rest and keeping the foot above heart height to reduce swelling.

Once that had gone down and the metatarsal and fracture had healed, I then had the physio to bring back stability and strength in the ankle.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Sounds like you are coming along slowly but surely. Keep up the good work and don't lose heart!:)