Which side to start from when playing mixed doubles?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by techno79, Nov 4, 2011.

1. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

When starting a game of mixed doubles, I always thought that both female partners must start from their respective right hand side box (i.e. the female will always serve to the female). Can anyone clarify the rules on who may start where in mixed doubles?

TIA

2. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    You have it correctly, the females start from the even court (your right to opponents left diagonal).

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

3. krysser

krysser Regular Member

No there are no rules about who shall start in the right side and who will start in the left side.
    Actually each pair will decide before each game.

/Krysser

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

In a tournament with referees, you will be asked who is going to serve and who is going to receive. So this more than confirms that the female does not necessarily have to start on the "even" court and the receiver has to be female either.

5. Chayady

Chayady Regular Member

By law, umpire will do the toss to decide which side has the previlege to choose first.What to choose? There are 3 questions asked by umpire (in double, not single) to the side who win the toss: Do you want to serve, receive or choose end.If they choose to serve, umpire will continue and ask who is serving.Then umpire will ask to the opponent, which end they choose and who will receive the serve.Hope that clarify how the match is start :)

#5 Chayady, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Thank you for your replies. I've never played a game that's been umpire'd (casual player) so this is really helpful insight. Thanks for the clarification. I'm really confused how or where I got this from as females starting from their even side box is what I (and many other casual players) have assumed. I don't suppose the misunderstanding has come about because the rules have now changed and it once used to be like that?

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think it probably arose from courtesy–the ladies first thing. As a result one served and the other received. It's normal practice where we play XD. :)

8. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

The female serve first is kinda just out of tradition.

9. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Here's another point of view. In mixed it's easier for the serving side to win points on the lady's serve than on the man's serve. So if your side is serving first in a match, you want the lady on the right so that she has the serve. But if your side is receiving, you want the man on the right so that, again, the first serve from your side will be by the lady.

Of course not everyone agrees with this. But I've met people who do play this way.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    There is no rule on who is to serve first- Anyone (male or female) may be allowed serve first.

11. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

this is clarified in law 11.6

11.6 Either player of the winning side may serve first in the next game, and either player of the losing side may receive first in the next game.

Hence the umpire must ask to check who will serve and receive before the start of each game

12. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Thanks very much for everyone's replies. This more than clarifies that my previous assumption was wrong.