Sometimes buying a new racket is just what you need

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jajvirta, Nov 5, 2011.

1. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    While I agree with kwun's article's ("best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash...") general premise, today I realized that the racket I have been playing with was pretty useless. I attended a beginner's course on technique and I got try out couple of decent rackets and, boy, the difference was huge.

The racket I've been playing with is around 15 years old, it's pretty heavy and the grip is worn out. The strings are loose and worn out too. Now, I've could have replaced the grip and strings, but I thought that investing 50 euros (roughly 50 dollars) on a good-enough racket is worth the money.

Of course, this is not to say that I shouldn't practice footwork. In fact, my overall strength and stamina are ridiculously poor after 10 year hiatus of exercising anything. But don't go overboard in the other direction either. That 10-15 year racket that has a worn out grip or strings might be a lot worse than a standard medium-priced new racket. That's what I found out today.

That said, after getting a decent racket, maybe the next step (pun intended) is to concentrate on fitness and footwork. :)

2. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    I think what he meant was the countless pricey high-en rackets in the market..some people would rather rather go for the latest high-en model even though there is only slightest improvement or build change (head,-light head, equal weight, repulsion, hold, etc which sometimes they don't even know which one suits their play mostly or maybe they don't even care) that doesn't match the price aka. overpriced..

for €50 I think it's more than worth for a change from 10 years old racket..there should be huge difference already even for mid- or low-en rackets..personally I could just grab a high-en racket if I'm in your shoes :p (why not for €130, that's equivalent to spending €13 per year or €1,15 per month lol)

#2 bogensaebel, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    I agree with this statement after i 'upgraded' my racket from a cheap one toward a high-end one.. and i believe it's more than 5-10% improvement, bcoz all of my shots getting more precise just by changing the racket.. but 1 thing i agree with kwun, u can't see real improvement by buying a racket unless u have some decent footwork, stamina, and power..

btw, i think ur 15 years old racket is useful for training racket ^^

4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

i was using a 16 year old 2u Cab21sp after changing to voltric. it was worlds apart but sometime i just miss it. so i pick it up to warm up and on games when i know i'll probably win. practise on my placement instead of smashes :D

5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I think this is true but not in all cases
    one person in the club I go to had a old carlton with a low tension about a month ago he bought a Z-Slash and he has been playing really well even moving up a session.

6. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

I wonder who that could be?

And the Carlton wasn't too bad it just didn't suit my playing style. But the tension was ridculously low. 18lbs!!!

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I agree with you and Kwun.
    In general footwork, stamina and technique are all very important. But at higher levels finding a racquet that suits your game can help develop your game and give you extra confidence.
    Everything plays it's part in your game, just some bits are more helpful than others.

8. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

i know but it is better changing and improving

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I agree:)

But sometimes in some circumstances a new racket is not what you need:) Ive spent almost $500 on rackets I don't use and were purchased after the racket I still use. All that money I could have used on something else...

Still doesnt harm to experiment, just harms the pocket!

10. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

law of diminishing returns. the difference between the old heavy racket, with old strings and say a modern £35 carbon fibre racket is much greater than between a £35 racket and say a £140. being badminton obsessives we'll pay £140 for small or often just perceived differences its ofetn part of hobby for many. think string tension, balance, grip size are all properties that affect how the racket will suit you than price tag.