User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 35 to 44 of 44
  1. #35
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The problpem is also..many CHN players got into TOP 8 in SS Final standing as some are given WO..so it is not fair for others who fight really hard....even we often see Koreans vs Koreans, Japan vs Japan or INA vs INA plays in real games...so to complain about the rule is okay but remember some of players are given free pass for free points....some fighyts for it....

  2. #36
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    To attract sponsors we need to be honest about what players and matchas that are the "moneymakers".. Just look at the "four kings" 4-players and still more sponsormoney than 3 std. SS put together!! For just four players !!

    The only solution short term I see is to break out mens singles to start with as a completetly separate event. The packaging needs to be change to attract sponsors. Also, when always negotiating a total sum of prizemoney to be split over five disciplines I think it will not be able to rise quickly enough for individual players that rank below the absolute top to be able to be make a decent living just from the prizemoney they earn! Maybe there could still be a number of "ranking" tournaments similar to todays set up and change the premier SS to mens singles primary. Sort of like ATP and WTP split.. I also think there needs to be more match-ticketing instead of "event/day" ticketing to be able to diversify prizing more and get more ticket income..

    And about the profile compared to motor racing, tennis, I really think its the chicken and egg thing.. would tennis be high profile if parents and fans didnt see how much money the winners where making? If a huge fanbase willing to spend money on the sport exists, then sponsors will be interested.. If sponsors interest are high and lost of money are at stakes.. More fans will be attracted and also more people want to become pros...

    Personally I hope Chineese and Asian businessmen will prefer to sponsor poplar games with Asian domince like badminton etc. instead of pouring their money on "american" sports.. I think Asia has a great future and i think sooner or later the western countries like US, have to take some of the culture AND SPORT from the east, not only the other way around !!
    As far as I know as I often talk to players' parent...I believe and truly believe that BIG money will attract them...remember that many asian children may not go to school and really dedicate the sport for a way of earning a living..for Western is different...

    Thats why I am glad that China can offer big money to 4 Players which at that time.,.you objected it and it is actually it is a good marketing to attract more players..

    Please note that in last 2 years, one of China official told me that it is hard now to get the badminton talent in China...most children will play other sports...
    In the past, CBA will allow other chinese players who are not selected and go abroad..now there is no way....even for Singapore talents as well.....I heard China will not allow chinese children being recruited early by Singapore Sport Council.

    Also at the same time...we need to create fan base...fan base are important for sponsors...thats the keys...

    Also the reason why SS Final prize money is not much yet as BWF has hard time to find the sponsor..they are talking to few companies to sponsor SS Final regularly like 3 yrs contract for example...

    There will be more tournaments in Asia..Macau and Taipei Open are GOLD GP but the prize money is US$ 200 K ( similar to Super Series) and I think it is time for BWF to allow extra tournaments for countries who can afford...Beleive me that there will less tournaments in Europe in future..and more tournaments in South and North America but they need talents..recently PBSI allows some to move to these regions and I hope China/Mas or Korea will allow some of their players to this region...

    thats my 22 cents ( not 2 cents)

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    The problpem is also..many CHN players got into TOP 8 in SS Final standing as some are given WO..so it is not fair for others who fight really hard....even we often see Koreans vs Koreans, Japan vs Japan or INA vs INA plays in real games...so to complain about the rule is okay but remember some of players are given free pass for free points....some fighyts for it....
    Personally i do not think that the WOs really affect the rankings much overall... For each player that "gets" a WO another chineese player in that match will have to loose the same ranking points that he may have gotten easy being drawn against a non-chineese player..So china can "distribute" some of the ranking points between the players by teamorder or "help", just like Taufik said he would try to help Gade. Buy if you take an objective look at the ranking it is pretty obvious that Chinese players are more likely to be ranked too low than too high, so I don't think anything really points to that a few WOs increases their overall ranking.

  4. #38
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    Personally i do not think that the WOs really affect the rankings much overall... For each player that "gets" a WO another chineese player in that match will have to loose the same ranking points that he may have gotten easy being drawn against a non-chineese player..So china can "distribute" some of the ranking points between the players by teamorder or "help", just like Taufik said he would try to help Gade. Buy if you take an objective look at the ranking it is pretty obvious that Chinese players are more likely to be ranked too low than too high, so I don't think anything really points to that a few WOs increases their overall ranking.
    Yes..it does..remember if you are ranked 9 in SS it equals to 32 in the draw....I do believe that it helps ranking and points especially for SS Final..look at how tight between the points....it does help..thats my opinion!!
    Anyway...in order to help badminton..the fans love seeing the fight..not WO....if you want to build the fans and sponsors so the sport can benefit!!

  5. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    Personally i do not think that the WOs really affect the rankings much overall... For each player that "gets" a WO another chineese player in that match will have to loose the same ranking points that he may have gotten easy being drawn against a non-chineese player..So china can "distribute" some of the ranking points between the players by teamorder or "help", just like Taufik said he would try to help Gade. Buy if you take an objective look at the ranking it is pretty obvious that Chinese players are more likely to be ranked too low than too high, so I don't think anything really points to that a few WOs increases their overall ranking.
    It s plain cheating, both in terms of ranking points and $. If a CHN player defeats a non-CHN opponent with a walkover benefit, then he is stealing one round of ranking points and prize money. That could mean a few hundred ranking points and a few thousand $. It all adds up, tournament by tournament. If WYH could lose to a non-CHN WS without a walkover advantage, it means a walkover has been a contributing factor in her wins. But cheating will continue because it s a CBA norm.

  6. #40
    Regular Member kelana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Parmir Mountains, Silk Road
    Posts
    2,953
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    ...In the past, CBA will allow other chinese players who are not selected and go abroad..now there is no way....even for Singapore talents as well.....I heard China will not allow chinese children being recruited early by Singapore Sport Council...
    I will call such restrictions smart moves! The League, CBL, is running well, no players are wasted like in the past, they can always play there if not selected for the national squad. Same thing for the kid recruitment too! Otherwise it's something like "I'm planting, you're harvesting"

    I remember a Jesuit saying goes:
    “Give me a child until he is six, and I will give you a rock-solid follower for life.”

    What's the point for China to donate such talents?
    Last edited by kelana; 11-27-2011 at 04:04 AM.

  7. #41
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    It s plain cheating, both in terms of ranking points and $. If a CHN player defeats a non-CHN opponent with a walkover benefit, then he is stealing one round of ranking points and prize money. That could mean a few hundred ranking points and a few thousand $. It all adds up, tournament by tournament. If WYH could lose to a non-CHN WS without a walkover advantage, it means a walkover has been a contributing factor in her wins. But cheating will continue because it s a CBA norm.
    WOs due to injuries etc. are not cheating. Fixed matches is. And I think innocent until proven guilty applies. Just as with Taufiks statement of a contract of "match fixing" between him and Gade to stop China from taking 3-spots in MS i n the olympic games. I would like to give Taufik the benefit of doubt before calling him a cheater.

    An injured player that Walks Over will get not ranking points so it will hurt that player and team, regardless of country of origin.

  8. #42
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,440
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Who said that injured players who gives WO will not get the ranking points??? If one player WO...he or she does get the ranking points and money.....

  9. #43
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    Who said that injured players who gives WO will not get the ranking points??? If one player WO...he or she does get the ranking points and money.....
    Not any points for the WO:ed match.. and of course no further points after the WO in that tournament either..

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    WOs due to injuries etc. are not cheating. Fixed matches is. And I think innocent until proven guilty applies. Just as with Taufiks statement of a contract of "match fixing" between him and Gade to stop China from taking 3-spots in MS i n the olympic games. I would like to give Taufik the benefit of doubt before calling him a cheater.An injured player that Walks Over will get not ranking points so it will hurt that player and team, regardless of country of origin.
    Oh, under which BWF rule? But they still get money, right? You saw Spore Open? Both CJ and LD got big cheques?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. 2011 Hong Kong Open SS: Round 2 Thu 17-Nov
    By chris-ccc in forum Hong Kong Open / China Open 2011
    Replies: 120
    : 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
  2. 2011 Hong Kong Open SS: Round 1 Wed 16-Nov
    By chris-ccc in forum Hong Kong Open / China Open 2011
    Replies: 156
    : 11-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •