User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    I think your getting slightly confused here. The 6 courts night i mentioned works how i said it works. On a completely different post and point i was talking about groups larger than 30+. Now with the club of 30+ if you want to choose who plays who in any shape or form, this is a lot harder to organise when all the games are finishing at different times rather than timed at 15 mins when you know everybody will be available. Then you can choose exactly who you want to be playing with who rather than who is available. I don't think anybody is talking about acheiving everybody getting a game with everybody. No need to split into groups like the thread starter was trying to avoid
    I see, two different clubs.

For the 30+ member club alexh posted up the solution in post 6

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    There are some good points here, and in the rest of the post too. Sure, the stronger players don't want to spend all their time playing with beginners. But I think it's fair for each player to spend just one game per session help other people.

What can the weaker players give back? There's a concept called "pay it forward". You're not in a position to pay back the favour right now...but at least some of those weaker players will become stronger players, or badminton addicts, in the future. They can help the club by teaching the next generation of new players, also by volunteering to be on the club committee, help running tournaments, and all the other behind-the-scenes stuff that keeps the badminton community going.
    If you have a social club, there may not be actually that much to do. I have rarely seen a good teaching session in a 2hour club night. Adelaide may be different - never played there yet.

A social club may not even run a tournament, nor enter into a league.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

Lol really? I didn't realise that alexh's experience was the only/best way to organise a club night of large numbers.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lol really? I didn't realise that alexh's experience was the only/best way to organise a club night of large numbers.
    So far that I have seen playing across various different countries, IMHO, it's good

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So far that I have seen playing across various different countries, IMHO, it's good

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i played in a social club (more than 15 years ago) where there is 4 to 5 courts and around 20 to 25 people...

the organizer labels each person with A, B, C and D (after watching the person played for the first time in an hour)... "A" are the best and "D" are beginners.... new comers join at Level D (usually)... but after 30 minutes, it should be obvious whether he or she should be promoted...

Label "A" players play mostly with other "A" players (80% of the times), but sometimes with "B"....

"B" players play mostly with other "B" players, but sometimes "A" or "C"...

"C" players play mostly with other "C" players, but sometimes "B" or "D"...

"D" players play mostly with other "D" players, but sometimes with "C"....

the organizer decides who plays with whom... each game is limited to 10 minutes (or 12 minutes depending on how many people are there on a particular night)... the organizer (or his deputy) decides who plays with whom every 10 minutes....

of course, if a organiser really like a person, that person may have more chance to play with others who are one level above him..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did??? I said nothing about numbers; it gets harder the more people you have. And I mentioned one possible option, but it's not the only way to do it.
    If you have a social club, there may not be actually that much to do. I have rarely seen a good teaching session in a 2hour club night. Adelaide may be different - never played there yet.
    I'm not talking about organised teaching/coaching sessions. It's more a case of people being willing to sometimes step on court with a new player, have a friendly game, and say a few words of advice or encouragement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a common dilemma for all players and the organiser, from the players' point of view, if a good player is paired up with a not so good player whom is not neccessarily a beginner, there wont be much of a rally and the match is done and dusted under 10min. This is very frustrating for everyone. The good player will not have had a good work out and the weaker player will not have a chance to improve. What I do if I am paired up with a weak player is to play my own game and try to cover as much court as possible, of cause not ideal but in the hope that I might sweat a bit. So it will be like a single match with risks of racket and body clashing. And if we start to lead the score, I will slow down and hit some clear shots to the weaker opponent. Whether he can convert the score is up to him. generally I believe the best solution s to play with somebody with almost the same standard of skills.a player can only improve with a structured coaching and training and not from playing matches.
    Last edited by S.fusion; 11-12-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2