User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    . Interestingly, I weighed every C7 they had in the shop and I stopped weighing them because they were all exactly 85g.
    Lol! I can imagine the expressions on the faces of the salesperson and shop owner!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you remember the dry weight of your mx80?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, very, very short term 'review' ie: I've only played two matches with it.

Like Cai Yun, the C7 is pasty and almost trasluscent, like the weapon of some really pissed off Elf, having being exiled amongst us petulent humans for doing something nasty to one of their women. The design is fairly stripped back, perhaps slightly reminiscent of the Arc10 but only if you desperately need reference to something already in existence so your head doesn't explode. The sharp red-fade-to-black prongs are nice simple accents to what would otherwise be a fairly bland pearl white racket. I'd actually like to see some silver or light metallic grey at 3 and 6 o'clock just to break things up a bit more. Weirdly, I found the black handle, cone and fade at the lower end of the shaft gave me no visual clues as to how to change my grip, which I know makes no sense but I often found myself gripping the racket too high up, so I added some red grip finishing tape to it instead of black, which helped.

Thing is, just by looking at it and in light of the guy using it, you'd expect this racket to be super light and nimble, something akin to an NS9900 maybe or a BS10. If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Oh so wrong.

This thing is a complete bruiser. Actually watching Cai Yun play now, I have extra respect for him, or at least for his arm. It's stiff, it's heavy, and when you hit the sweetspot it makes a sound like Cai Yun crushing a skull with his foot. Seriously, I have never heard anything like it. The first smash I actually managed to get right, the whole facility stopped and looked to the sky, wondering if a storm was brewing.
    The feel for me was a bit reminiscent of the Victor SW35, and users of that racket wanting to try something similar, but different, should take a serious look at this racket. I found it slightly more accessible, and slightly faster than the SW35. It doesn't carry it's weight exactly the same - it's slightly less evenly distributed and more contributed towards the head (but nothing like a VT80, more an MX80 on steriods).
    Unlike the SW35 though, you get a speed boost but it is at the expense of a small amout of head stiffness. If you catch a shuttle right at the top of the head there's a very pronounced 'trampoline' effect as the head flexes and releases. Of course Cai Yun would argue what sort of a **** player wouldn't hit that superlative sweetspot every time, but hey, sucks to be a Mortal, what can I say?

You'd think that the extra 5mm of balance point over my 299mm MX80's wouldn't make much difference, but it does. It's like night and day. The difference between 295 and 300 isn't remarkable, but when you go from 300 to 305, that's when you start to get into the realm of the warhammers, where I'm less Thor and more Thor's less gifted third cousin. Weight also becomes critical, because at 2g lighter than my MX80s and 3g lighter than my BS12's, it feels about 5g heavier than both - or like a small child has grabbed the end of my racket and I'm frantically swinging around trying to shake him off.

I'll post more up the more I play.....
    Last edited by Maklike Tier; 11-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is, just by looking at it and in light of the guy using it, you'd expect this racket to be super light and nimble, something akin to an NS9900 maybe or a BS10. If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Oh so wrong.
    That, caught me off guard when I tested a C7; but C7 never appealed to me >_<

The first smash I actually managed to get right, the whole facility stopped and looked to the sky, wondering if a storm was brewing.
    Took my 1/2 hour to get my first smash in

As you mentioned, the C7 is definitely a Faster racquet compared to my N90II. Despite being heavy which caught both you and I offguard, its fantastic at netplays. Quick, Swift and Nimble. IMHO, I think its very similar to the N33 which I sold away. Since I never enjoyed the N33, I think it led to my disliking of the C7. Best to stick to my N90II for now, and wait for those SW35s

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you compare the C7 to the N90II?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty, I had to return my C7 after only 6 hours of play. I dare not say its a negative in my books, just doesnt appeal to me. In comparison with the N90II, which I absolutely enjoy, the C7 has definitely an edge for net plays and drives. Its fast and swifter than my N90II. If you referred to one of my earlier threads, I reduced the tension on my old cap N90II to 25lbs to compare both C7 and N90II at 25lbs using BG66 Ultimax.

I would prefer using the C7 if Im primarily at the front in a doubles game. Its such a joy to use . The downside would be my timing/technique with producing Smashes from the rear. I didnt find it as easy to execute as a N90II. Although I know my N90II is still considered stiff, did you find the C7 to be stiffer? or was it just my imagination? Clearly I was not used to using a C7, hence I cant just provide a bias review.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't used an N90II for more than about five minutes and honestly can't remember what it felt like, but the C7 definitely feels stiffer on the court than my MX80 does, for example. This is strange because if you flex them off the court, the C7 seems flexier pretty much everywhere.

I'm still geting used to the timing so I didn't find it particularly quick. I know the potential is there, but I couldn't tap into it in the measly two matches I played with it. The smashes when you hit the sweetspot are just booming though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2