Frustration is ruining my game.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by charlotte_alice, Nov 9, 2011.

1. charlotte_alice

charlotte_alice Regular Member

Customer Service
    I don't know whether anyone else gets this, or its maybe because I am a beginner, but when I have had a bad few shots/missed easy shots etc it starts to grate me and get me frustrated which then tenses me up and I get worse and worse.

Is there any way of preventing this or any techniques to prevent stress? :(

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Just know that there will be days like this. You'll have your good days and bad. When I'm having a bad day/game I try to keep shots simple. Treat yourself to something nice afterwards to relieve stress. And remember you're there to have fun.

3. charlotte_alice

Customer Service
    Exactly, I try to breathe and smile and it does help - I love badminton but sometimes I do take it very seriously - I think that's the downfall

4. cyberlettuce

cyberlettuce Regular Member

I should think everyone suffers from frustration from time to time. I suppose its just finding ways to deal with it. Try to just enjoy the game. Try to play each point at a time, (don't get carried away thinking about the score). If you are looking to improve your game the score can be fairly immaterial anyway, especially if you are trying to introduce changes or try new things. You may just need to think about consistantly getting the shuttle over. Not trying anything too extravagant. I think it is also important to recognise when you are defeated due to a good shot, just applaud and move on... also try to forget the bad shots you play. If you dwell on them you will only make more mistakes. We cant go back in time after all (but we can learn from them afterwards). :D

I am pretty much in the same boat as you are though. My game is nowhere near 100% consistant especially flailing around at the back court :eek: but I do play better when I relax and keep my focus (Which as a combination I find very difficult). My other half plays and can get very frustrated with herself, to the point of outright anger at times and I see her game deteriate in equal measure (tends to affect me too when I am playing with her). Just hard to calm her once she gets angry and frustrated, pretty much like a self fulfilling prophecy.

As a side note any tips to calm a partner down would be appreciated :D

5. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Give her a neck massage in between games?

6. cyberlettuce

cyberlettuce Regular Member

Hehe that might work :D

7. positivity

positivity New Member

May be concentration will help your problem. I can be trained by meditation :rolleyes:

8. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    If you like to read books, I would suggest reading Timothy Gallwey's The Inner Game of Tennis. Gallwey is a tennis coach, but the book is applicable to almost any sport. There's one chapter specifically about tennis, but all other chapters can be applied to any sport.

Now, a word of warning: it's not a book that gives you tricks to overcome frustration. It's more like a new way of living or practicing hobbies. But for me at least the book has shown a way to think about competitive sports that helps to deal with frustration and other negative emotions. (Or, in fact, "positive thinking" which can be as damaging to one's game as is negative thinking.)

It's a pretty thin book and easy to read.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Good advice above. May I also add that perhaps you could "train" more and play less games. Ie do more drills and practice shots over and over again until it becomes automatic and second nature. After you've mastered most of the basic shots, then that's when the game becomes more exciting and creative in terms of tactics and shot selection.

10. charlotte_alice

Customer Service
    Yeah, maybe this is true - I find that playing is the best practise for me at the moment, I am getting my fitness and stamina up - right now the main things I need to work on are giving and receiving short serves. I will practise at the weekend - but my club do have a coach who I may enlist the help of if I feel I need further help.

Tonight was good and I was less stressed, I tried to remember that it is only a game and I smiled/laughed and it was so much better!

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Your frustration is coming from wanting to acheive a higher standard which is fine just don't be to greedy. Especially if you are a beginner try to balance your thoughts out with "well i missed that shot but the shot i played earlier was way above my standard". When you reach perfection you are not allowed to get frustrated though:D

12. Desouled

Desouled Regular Member

Desk
    I saw the Chinese players make fun of Lee Chong Wei's face in the French Open semis... So you might want to learn some jokes and crack them inbetween points to lighten the mood? Always good to release tension.

13. ronlee

ronlee Regular Member

Worked as Exorcist , Dragoon/Knight/Aria/Medicine/
    My style is when i missed a shot i laugh about it. then when it comes back to playing try to relax . The more tense you are the more mistakes you get ! :D have a nice day .

14. ronlee

ronlee Regular Member

Worked as Exorcist , Dragoon/Knight/Aria/Medicine/

Abit of mental training needed here .

15. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

i used to break a couple of my rackets when i get frustrated (dented my car door when i kicked it after a match too :S). nowadays i just close my eyes to visualise how i should have done it while breathing in deeply and do some swings to correct my stroke before my next point :D

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Dang! You're not gonna be getting any sponsorship from Proton and Yonex! :eek: :p

17. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

I used to get this really badly, not so much now though. Part of this is watching 'too many' vids of the top pros who make it look effortless.

What I do when my game is not going too well is first to concentrate on keeping the bird in play - i.e. make your opponent win the point - in my mind even if I lose I haven't given them the point\game\match with unforced errors.
    I then concentrate on getting one sort of shot working , drop, smash, net, clear etc... or concentrate on my footwork...

It depends on what part of ypur game is frustrating you..

Rich

18. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

When your age go past 40, there isnt many reasons left to stress you out.

19. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Damn i'm in trouble... :eek:

20. charlotte_alice

Customer Service
    Well I think I do try almost too hard and I sometimes don't realise I have really only been playing for 4 weeks and my improvement (without being big headed) is very noticeable, so when I have a few bad games I do always think about other awesome shots I did :p

I also make little weird noises and fake a tantrum. makes us all laugh and I chill out!