Stringer fault or customer?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Ouchee, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ouchee

Ouchee Regular Member

After 3 years of stringing, this is the first time I have encountered this. I recently strung a Wilson K Factor with BG85 @ 24lbs. The customer received it and played for one day and the string broke. Now of course it is the stringer's fault, but really I want some opinions from you guys, was I my fault or was it too obiviously it was from a miss hit. At the end, I re-strung his racquet for free as I don't want to loose any of my reputationin my club.

DSCF0047.jpg DSCF0046.jpg

2. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    Obviously that was miss hit at the top 4, it is player fault. If this player insist was the stringer fault, he just want to get free stringing from you or he not even know where the shuttle hit on his racket when it happen. I have a lot this case at the winter time, much less in the summer.

3. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

Ouchee, I had 2 cases like yours in my first 3 months as a stringer, I restrung them with free labor. Then I figured out not to let it happen again to me so I made up a decent diagram showing a mis-hit and put it in my bag. People come back then I showed them the diagram and they just kept quiet and that is. Something they have to know.

4. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Will never really be a definitive answer. String may of been damaged there, either due to stringing error or grommet issues etc. I try and prevent this issue from arising by stating clear before I hand rackets over that they should inspect it and once they start playing with it then it is no longer my problem.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Clearly a mis-hit, so not the stringer's fault. Sadly, the average joe doesn't understand this.

Incidentally, there's room for another cross at the top of that Wilson K pattern - put it through at hole 6 and tie off at hole 5. Should guard against future mis-hits.

6. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Guys, u r too generous!

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Assuming you have been stringing more than 100 racquets already since you know the miss hit issue.
    From what I tell, it is 98% player's fault. Depend on the clamp you use. If you use name brand HQ or YY clamp, you are fine. However, if you use the clone or other brand of clamps, there are chances the fly clamp damage the string. Another possibility is the defect string. I will not name the string brand (it is not YY or gosen). However, the string was already fret when I pull it out of the reel. The manufacture claim it give you 10% more string per reel. I think it is to cover their butt for the defect. Why I know it is defect? I strung 2 racquets 1 night with the string as players requested. #1 @21x23 lb and #2 @25x27.5lb. The string snapped on the #2 during the pull. The #1 string broke after 2 days. So, if you are sure of the string, you are OK.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And there is the extreme case of the customer adding sticky substance in order to increase the texture feel with the shuttle. Sticky substance is usually some sort of glue with solvent. Okay, this is the most extreme case.

9. silentheart

Let's say the string is made by Vicky's Secret.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Presumably they would put that in the middle of the racquet. So how would that cause a string break at the periphery?

11. shuennms

shuennms Regular Member

Club Stringer & Organizer
    Stringer or Player to decide tension? If Player requested 26 lbs and it broke during stringing, is it stringer's fault?

12. shuennms

shuennms Regular Member

Club Stringer & Organizer
    Stringer or Player decide tension? If the racket broke during string and tension was decided by Player, who's fault?

13. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Mostly that would be the stringer's fault. If he is unsure if he can do such tension or if his machine can protect the racquet at such tension then he should NOT HAVE EVEN accepted the request.

By right the stringing machine, especially the modern, 6 point support ones are made to protect the racquet frame fully during stringing and prevent breakage even if you string up to 36lbs with the racquet. It is only after you take the racquet off the machine then if the graphite is not strong enough (as in the fake or very low end quality racquets) then the frame may warp and twist but ONLY WHEN the frame hits something. Badminton racquet frames DO NOT just collapse out of the sudden, so don't believe those amateur stringers who tell you so.

In another point of view, you can't blame a player for using high tensions can you? Imagine talking to Taufik Hidayat or Peter Gade, telling them that their 32 to 34lbs tension is too high and not good for them :p

14. silentheart

1) I have a player brought in a fake YY string and ask me to string his racquet at 26 lb. I told him right away that if the string break, it is not my responsibility. No, it did not break. But the racquet plays like sh*t.
    2) If I use my string for someone else' racquet, it will be my responsibility to get another good string and finish the racquet. If player supply the string, all bets are off. I tell the player up front.

15. bandit12811

bandit12811 Regular Member

Student, Part-time Stringer at Top Spin Tennis, Ca
    If the tension is outside of the recommended range on the racket then I would say that it is the player's fault. If not, the racket could be being clamped too tightly by the stringer (although this is pretty unlikely) or the racket could have been damaged by the player by racket clashes etc. Fairly unlikely that it is the stringer's fault in my opinionThe racket could also have been manufactured incorrectly, in which case obviously that is a manufacturer issue.In response to Blitzzards, rackets do just collapse. I am not an amateur stringer, and the my colleagues in the shop I work in are Master Racket Technicians and string at Wimbledon, All England etc. We have had quite a few recent Carlton rackets just collapse at tensions inside the recommended range, and this is on Wilson Baiardo machines. Also, I recently had two Karakal MTEC 70s snap on me, and they were brand new rackets, so it does happen every now and again.So yeah, if that racket wasn't guaranteed up to 26lbs, then don't guarantee the restring. If it snapped inside warranty tension, suggest they return the racket to the manufacturer.Hope that helps!Daniel

16. bandit12811

Wow, does quick reply remove paragraphing etc. That is pretty annoying! :/ Imagine that in nice paragraphs...

17. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    It's only the string that has snapped here, racquet breaks can be for any number of reasons.

You should probably tell the player that the location of the string break appears to be an off-centre hit and that you will re-string for free because it happened so soon.
    A 200m reel of BG65Ti comes to £60, which works out as £3 a racquet, I guess you charge more than the string costs, so you still won't lose money by giving a free restring, it's just an annoyance on your time.

18. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I personally am an amateur stringer and I have done my Yonex racquets (which are all warrantied for tensions up to 24 and 25lbs only) up to tensions of 31 to 34lbs and they are all still playing fine with no sign of weakness in the frame.

What does that tell you? Remember what I said about the fact that racquets with inferior graphite exists?

19. bandit12811

Sorry, my post came across rude. It wasn't meant to! :/ Many rackets will take the tension fine. Yonex is a good example, as their rackets are of much higher quality than their warranty makes out, as you point out. Just saying it can happen with some rackets, so as you say, while good ones should be fine, if the racket is of lower quality or has been mistreated it could just snap on the machine, not necessarily having hit something. Also, I feel if a racket does snap when being strung outside of the tension range on the racket, even if it is Li-Ning, Yonex or Victor (the only quality makes IMO), I don't really feel that the stringer can be held accountable.Daniel

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Since I re-string as a hobby rather than a business (counting on the $$ to feed the family), I usually explain it to the customer after this type of breakage. Most ppl tend to understand and honest, but there're always a small percentage insist otherwise. For such cases, I still offer re-string free of charge, but made it clear that it's purely as a favor, and usually a 1 time deal.