User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mind elaborating the term proper footwork? how is it to call it proper?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by malaysianfreak View Post
    Look up videos of Xia XuanZe and Hendrawan for examples of great footwork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like you need to improve on your stamina first.

Since you're already walking to the courts my suggestion is to jog/run BACK from the court to home. 2km each time is a perfect distance. Its better to do intervals (jog/run 100m then walk 100m) since in badminton, you're technically doing intervals training. Increase the intensity/speed each time. Or just skip some rope.

Once you're fit enough, you can focus on improving your footwork then technique which requires precious court time. Trust me, you will be able to get into the required position faster, you can focus on hitting better shots during the game.

Then, just try improving one shot in your games per session. For example, today you want to improve try crosscourt clear, then try to do that shot every other there is an oppurtunity instead of your usual block/drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing which foot moves first depending on which direction you want to move in. Know how to position your feet when you land so you don't hurt your ankles and knees. Split stepping. There are minor intricacies as well. You cannnot learn these (IMO) by watching videos, somebody needs to point these things out to you. Drilling your footwork in high intensity sets (3 mins?) will get you some stamina, but don't bother drilling unless you know the footwork because you'll just end up picking bad habits. You might not need a "coach" (since you said the coach you had sucks), just a high level player (since they've probably been coached before) who knows what they're doing to show you one thing at a time. Should take no more than a couple of mins of their time for a single movement. Absorb it then repeat it over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by malaysianfreak View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improve your stamina. Not by walking and not by playing doubles. My trick to get better stamina and oiverall better performance in badminton is to play singles games 3-5 times a week to 101 points. Thats right...101. Basically its one hour of back to back singles rallies. I now play 3 hours straight of doubles and am not even out of breath...and I am overweight lol. Stamina has nothing to do with size, but more how endurant your body is proportional to how big you are. As for technique, drills. Spend one hour before every game ONLY doing backhand clears. (Basically the same as a backhand smash just different angle) and you will have mastered it after a week. I did this for backhand drops when I changed string tensions since the control was totally different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2