Stagnant in improvement

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Nov 9, 2011.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    I have been playing badminton for about a year and 5 months for the 1st year i improve very quickly ..i guess because there's more to learn back then , and now i hardly improve anymore ...i've been stagnant for the past about 5months now and my game's intensity is the same for a long time now and i wish to bring to a new level...any tips? i primarily wish to improve in footwork and backhand ..oh and is there any great badminton matches ? i wish to see a few since it's been a long time since i seen a great game!

thanks!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

any game with jjs and lyd in the past year is worth watching

tips? do more drills and practice to perfect your weaknesses

easy ones you can do by yourself: backhand short serves, shadow footwork with split drop

3. malaysianfreak

student
    Just curious when do you find time to do your drills? for me each time i reach the court i warm up with my friends and then the game starts ...since i have bad stamina i tend to rest more often than my friends...when do you fit your drills in it? is it before the game or after?

4. Desouled

Desouled Regular Member

Desk
    You can try to fit drills inbetween? I do that some times after a tough game - instead of sitting and resting, just do some light drills for drop shots, net shots, clears etc...

Helps you to improve your game for when you have to force shots even though you're all tired out.

5. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    How about improving your stamina? When you have better stamina, it means you will be faster and stronger. You can play longer and do some training afterwards.

6. malaysianfreak

student
    I done many things to improve my stamina , including walking to the court instead of using a car, i been practicing it for about the 1st day i played badminton at the court...the distance is about 2 km and it takes 25minutes to reach there ...for some reason my stamina never really increase even after this walking session =(

7. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Maybe the intensity is too low. Try a skipping rope or go for jogs.

8. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Walking to improve stamina? That's totally unheard of. If that could work, my mom would have far better stamina than me considering she likes shopping and walking in shopping mall. But the reality is she is terrible at sport.

You gonna push your self to the limit in order to build your stamina. Try jogging and push yourself hard on days that you are NOT playing badminton. It should be noted that the jogging/rope skipping should become a routine every week. During your first session, don't push yourself too hard (try to gauge roughly what your limit is at first session). However, you should gradually increase the intensity (jog longer distance or add more skipping session) as time goes by.

This will help you in building your stamina.

And also, like many people have already mentioned, getting a coach to correct your technique and finding someone to do drills are the fastest ways to improve your game. No point opening dozen of threads in BC asking for help or watch gigabytes of coaching videos if you don't put enough effort in trying to correct your own technique on court. Miracles never happen through internet.

#8 majyun, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    gradually increase your pace everytime you go.
    25min
    24min
    23min
    22min
    21min...

when you hit sub 10min jog, then congratulations, you're now considered athletic (I use the term loosely).

a 9min 2km jog is what I did to cool down after last night's badminton session.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think you need to provide a few more details about your play to get better advice.

Do you just play with friends or train?

Mainly singles or doubles?

How long each session for?

How many times a week?

11. malaysianfreak

student
    1.Friends , used to train but stopped since the coach isn't very good...

2/3.2 hours and usually once a week ...since now is a holiday i play 3-5 times a week

4.mostly doubles ...i take the front court very well , i excel at offense but is kinda weak at defense
    i do love singles i watch a ton of chong wei and gade games , i am pretty fast in singles and always get the lead early on...but falters when the game drags on too long

#11 malaysianfreak, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  12. malaysianfreak

student
    2km in 9mins? O.O u sure? that's very fast!

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think we have our answer to your lack of improvement.

Like you said, it's easier to improve as a beginner :)

Once per week is very difficult to improve.

Without some sort of guidance from a coach, improvement will be much slower.

Let's say you play doubles - you only hit a shuttle 1/4 of the shots. Some techniques you might only use once or twice in 2 hours.

If you train with a coach, you continually practice the same technique trying to get it right - perhaps 100-200-300 times in 2 hours. I am sure there will be some improvement.

I got one coach to practice spinning netshots with me. All he does is feed. I think even he got bored with me trying the same shot for an hour. LOL

14. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

What a great argument for investing in an university education or trade school. :rolleyes:

Cheung's wife: "How was your day, honey?" Cheung: "Great! Saved 5 lives at work, then relaxed by training net shots at the gym. By the way, I've brought you roses. Come, smell!"
    Coach's wife: "How was your day honey?" Coach: "Great. Tossed birdies to spoiled kids and idle professionals, then relaxed by sweeping the gym. By the way, I've brought you gym socks to wash. Come, smell."

15. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

I am by no means an expert on the matter. I also only play once or twice a week at a rec club (99% doubles). I do zero cardio. Proper footwork will save you tons of energy during your games. I used to have to rest after each game because I was so tired and my legs burned. Turns out I was just wasting energy by doing a lot of needless movements (mainly too many chasse steps). I don't get tired anymore after a game, regardless of intensity, and can do 3 maybe even 4 in a row before needing to cool down a bit. I noticed this difference after 3-4 coaching sessions. You can't hit a quality shot if you can't get there with enough energy to make the shot.

You may not feel like you have not progressed, but I'm sure you have. You cannot judge yourself easily. Ask someone that only plays you every once in a while. I have gone 15 years thinking I got no better, but that is not the case. Stay focused and keep a positive attitude on learning. Good luck.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

roflmao! ;)

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not sure how seeking to learn to play a shot well has anything to do with University. Fidget is on a higher plane of understanding though...:)

18. malaysianfreak

student
    mind elaborating the term proper footwork? how is it to call it proper?

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Look up videos of Xia XuanZe and Hendrawan for examples of great footwork.

20. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

Seems like you need to improve on your stamina first.

Since you're already walking to the courts my suggestion is to jog/run BACK from the court to home. 2km each time is a perfect distance. Its better to do intervals (jog/run 100m then walk 100m) since in badminton, you're technically doing intervals training. Increase the intensity/speed each time. Or just skip some rope.

Once you're fit enough, you can focus on improving your footwork then technique which requires precious court time. Trust me, you will be able to get into the required position faster, you can focus on hitting better shots during the game.

Then, just try improving one shot in your games per session. For example, today you want to improve try crosscourt clear, then try to do that shot every other there is an oppurtunity instead of your usual block/drop.