Should BF have a Chat room??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wonger47, Jun 14, 2003.

1. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
    Dear Kwun, I was just wondering if you ever thought of putting up a "Chat-room" on BF?(anyone else have any input on this matter)

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

It's a good idea...except for the fact that chat room = need more money..and i'm not sure if BF can afford a server with a chat room..correct me if i'm wrong, it could get busy and with the bandwitdh bf is limited to with soo many posts..it could be a problem.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

cost of starting up #badminton on dalnet/efnet: free
    probability of more than one person being there: low

besides, what would you talk about?
    Much of the talk here are thought-out rather than outbursts, so a chat would probably just be an extension of off-topic, so why not just post there?

4. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
    If there was a Chat room it would be easier to get a question answered rather than creating a useless new thread for every single question some one has

5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

but like BRL mentioned...i would think more people would talk about "off-topic" topics rather than badminton..of course there would be people talking about badminton but if people are dedicated enough, they will respond in the forum. If you're really desperate for an answer, there's always online chat programs where you can get together (msn, icq, u know the rest).

Yes..BRL..there are hosts like dalnet/efnet that are free..and that wouldn't be a bad idea.. but if you're a perfectionist like me..i always seem to go for the higher models.. which come with more features if you pay for it, lol:D ..i'd be broke if i only had that side in me though..

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    There's always the search engine. ;) And whenever you start a new 'useless' thread everyone who has the same question will benefit from it. :)

BTW, are you sure this belongs in the general forum? I was thinking of the Forum Feedback part.

7. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i doubt there would be much traffic. like brl said, its more of a thoughtout forum, with many of our members writing posts of 50 lines and up :D... and who wants to talk about the physics of a shuttle cock in Real Time?! i sure dont'. if its a thread we can just skip it. :D

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

That would be a major problem. More people would stay in the chat rooms than they would in the forums therefore less posts would be made. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is entirely up to kwun since it would save bandwidth but it'd also make this place dead.

Yodums

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think the main consideration is whether you would want to chat in real-time, online with some one from here :D :D

Scary...:D :D :D :D

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    IMHO, chatroom has advantages and disadvantages.

true, in the ideal case, chatroom gives you instant replies. however, you are limited by one major: the "expert" must log into the chatroom at the same time as you. as you can see, the vast expertise in BF are located all over the world in many different timezones, the chance that you will bump into such an expertise is rather small.

secondly, we learn not only from asking, but also from read what other people asks. if you are in a chatroom, everybody else won't be reading what you asked and the answers to your questions.

so IMHO, the chance you will actually get a real-time response is pretty small.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Can't agree more than that.

1. Real time chat does provide reply faster, however, u also greatly limit the members to communicate with. With differetn time zones, instead of gathering information around the world, somehow, a chatroom user can only get touched with members from similar time zone (of course, if u r lucky, hmmm...).

2. Chat room dialogue could not be easily saved for future reference. Therefore, a lot of ppl (especially experts answering questions) will be annoyed to answer the same question over and over again.

12. Absinthe

Absinthe Regular Member

PeBuluTangkis + Business Owner + International Rec
    Bravenet has the free java chat. Just sign up and you'll get it. Just copy and paste the code.
    Have tried before and it was pretty good. The initial loading was kinda slow tho.

http://www.bravenet.com/samples/chat.php

13. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
    Could always just give it a weekend trial.......?(to see how it works)

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Yeah, I would agree to that... it would be a great experiment! But only for a weekend of course! But it's all up to the moderators... ;)

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    #15 cooler, Jul 14, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unfortunately, i think the moderators are all too busy to run a chatroom. however, you are very welcomed to start one and you can announce it here.

cooler, you are still unsafe to drive, at least in the US (0.5).. ;)

17. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    yes such chat room was created but the actual people that show up are something like 2-3 people at most at a time and well, most of time it's 0 participant.