High Tension

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TraineeSneakers, Nov 10, 2011.

1. TraineeSneakers

TraineeSneakers Regular Member

Student
    Recently, Ive just strung my Arc-10 with bg80 at 27lbs.

I usually play using the Arc-10 when it was strung at 25lbs (it was claimed by previous owner, but i suspect lower) with bg65 and using my Cab35 which is strung at 23lbs (with bg80 as well).

I have also played occasionally with my At 30 that is strung at 25lbs (bg65).

My problem: I have played with my newly strung Arc-10 in a 2 hours session. I think the strings feels kinda hard. How do I adapt my techniques (grips,strokes, etc) to play with it? Should I softened or hardened my grip in my strokes?

Any opinion is welcomed.

#1 TraineeSneakers, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You have to play more with it. The sweet spot will be smaller than your usual tension.

It takes time to adjust...more than 2 hours;)

Quite a while ago, I could go no further than 25lb with BG65....

Then there was I took badminton intensely seriously :eek: with getting coaching and proper tuition in technique. After that, I preferred 28-30lbs on BG65.

The point is everybody is a bit different to the tension they prefer and it may change over time.

#2 Cheung, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Your problem is you chose a hard feeling bg80 string, when you've been used to the soft bg65. You can try to play with it, but you'll develop sore shoulder and lose games trying to adapt. If I were you, I'd just cut it and restring with bg65 at your previous tension.

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Keep playing with it and you will adapt to it soon, 2 hours isn't long enough to become fully comfortable with a new tension.
    Your shots will adapt to the new tension, you don't really decide on how much power exactly to put into a shot, you just know what feels right at that tension. You will develop that in a few hours on play with your new strings.

5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

You will just have to play with it for a while to get used to it.

6. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

You could try to reduce the tension slightly. I read somewhere that you can repeatedly hit your heel with the strings and this will lower the tension. But not sure if it's true.

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Cloud7z is right, somebody on here suggested it before. Put a few pairs of thick socks on to pad your heel, then hit your heel with your racket to wear the strings in, it'll drop the tension a little bit.
    I just wear my badminton shoes and hit the heel on them, anything soft and round will do. But don't hit too hard.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

That was me. :). It works, lowers tension by a lb or two. Only problem is OP chose bg80 at 27 lbs (which will feel like bg65 at 30lbs) when he's used to bg65 at 23 to 25 lbs. If he doesn't cut the string and restring to a more appropriately lower tension, I'll bet money that he's going to get a sore shoulder or elbow from trying to hit too hard onto a smaller sweetspot.

9. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    If you don't give something a good try then you'll never know.
    It's worth more than a 2 hour attempt though.

10. AL98150

AL98150 New Member

Graduate Student
    To play well with higher string tension, the player will have to master the accuracy of sweetspot and the timing to hit the shuttle. One practice I do suggest is to play more flat shot during warm up session, that will help to capture the sweetspot, as well as allowing your wrist to get used to the tension.

11. drew tze en

If the strings are 1-2lbs tighter then normal it would be better to play till you get used to it
    but if it is more hit it on your heel to reduce the tension

12. TraineeSneakers

TraineeSneakers Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys, thanks for all the advices and supports :D

I have managed to adapt with the racquet. Had a little bit of sored muscles at first but theyre very mild and not serious.
    My play style has become kinda like softer and whippier. Plus, the hitting sounds that it creates are very sexy. Now, im playing like a boss :p

13. Racexp

Racexp Regular Member

Hi TS,
    Usually when you feel that the string is hard, it means the tension is high. When the tension is higher, you need to exert more energy in hitting every shot, especially backhand. Else, your shot will be half-court, making it easy for your opponent to smash it.
    The good thing about high tension is that your smash will be more crisp, if you have the energy to handle it.
    If you still don't like it, not to worry. After a few games, the tension will loosen gradually. Cheers

14. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Does anybody else feel that the information about string tension is wrong? Normally high tension gives control and low tension gives power. However I feel like I get more power from string tension that is higher like 24 lbs vs 21 lbs. I definitely feel like I can hit harder with 24 lbs and use less energy

15. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

From reading this forum somewhere. Think its the higher the tension the greater the maximum power but the more power, better technique is needed to get the higher power. lower tensions means easier to create good power with less effort but maximum potential power is lower if player has a lot of good power technique. lower tension means more springy shots at the net aswell, which are harder to control. taking a big leap from 23 to 27 seemed a bit risky glad its working out well though.

16. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

High tension on BG80 combined with stiff racket is a very good choice if you want to train your technique. Somehow it is like running. A lack of technique while using a Asics Kayano maybe alright, but won't work with Nike Lunaracer.

Mistakes will revealed, which were covered up by low tension and for me this is what it is all about. Sure you can train your technique and timing with BG65 at 23lbs, but it will be much harder. With BG80 @27lbs you will get a clear response whether your shot was executed well or not, hence I would use a racket with a setting I'm used to for competitive use and one for training technique.

17. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    Well here is what you need to do in order to get as much out of your tighter strings: Produce faster head swing speed. Unless you are changing racquets you have two choices:Improve technique, or play harder which will result in a sore shoulder. I think bg80 at high tensions is just no fun since the bg80 is really a hard feeling string. I always string with bg65 soft feeling at 23-25lbs , I've tried bg80 once at 23 and found it was MUCH harder to get power than my bg65 at 25lbs...

Main point: 28lbs is too high for bg80, next time stick with bg65 around 25lbs until you feel like the string cant keep up with you technique. (I found bg65 at 21lbs just wasnt enough...no matter how hard or fast I would hit it, the power seemed to be the same. So I bumped to 23lbs. I just recently bumped to 25lbs and still adapting (been 3 times I playu this week for 2 hours each time...and still not 100% adapted...it takes time!)

18. drew tze en

I usually play with BG66/66UM @ 24/25lbs
    however when I played with BG80 at 25lbs I found it difficult to smash hard first I hit the shuttle in the sweet spot but the shuttle kept going somewhere else as if I mis hit it but I didnt, which is confusing as if I smashed with a BG66UM string first time the smash would be really good.

19. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

lol didn't know other people felt this way too. So can we say higher string tension does produce more power if you have better technique because that is certainly how I feel about it.

20. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    Absolutely, its why we always recommend 21lbs tension for beginners. Its not low enough to deteriorate play, however its not high enough to require crazy good technique. Also bg65 is usually 5$ cheaper than bg80...overall I rather the 65.