Men's double: Breaking partner's racket (without purpose) - your reaction?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Accordaz, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I'm wondering what do you do in this situation?

During the game both are going to smash. What happens? Player B smashes unfortunately 0,5 Seconds after Player A and hit the Player A's racket (from behind) which is broken after this unlucky action.

You feel sorry for him even if wasn't obviously your mistake. On the other hand there are two players there who are playing the game together with this known risk.

a) You excuse yourself for this unlucky action - that's it.
    b) you additionally tell him you are going to buy him a new one
    c) you additionally propose to divide the costs (50:50) for his new racket
    d) you don't care. That's life.
    e) ... (others)

How is your reaction after a racket crash with a broken racket as result?

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Can't really give an answer without knowing exactly how this happened.
    If it is 2 players with the same hand, 2 rightys, and player A has moved back into a shot that should be for player B then player B should have backed out as they could already see player A. But if player B has already jumped for the smash and it was too far back that player A shouldn't have gone for it in the first place then player A is at fault. In which case both of these situations could happen at once and it would be equal blame. (a)
    For a partnership of the same hand, 2 rightys and the shuttle comes down the centre, player A should always be the forehand player and player B will be playing a round the head shot which they technically shouldn't be doing. (a)
    For a lefty and righty, with the shuttle down the middle somebody should call it. If player A calls it and player B goes for it anyway then it is player Bs fault. Maybe (c) but probably (a).

I might sound tight here...

3. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

We were left and right randed. But I was on the right side. The "lefty" on the left side. The shuttle flew to the mid (a little bit to my side - to the right side).
    I'm really not sure about the other facts, because it happened really quickly. But If i'm not wrong I would describe the situation like that:
    I was doing 1 or 2 (llittle!) steps back to make the smash while the lefty was already 1 or 2 steps behind me when he decided to smash.
    This should mean: He was on the "wrong side" and especially it was not the ideal position to do a smash while the shuttle's is falling on the other side.

Let's turn it around. Try to imagine I was already behind him. This would be anyways not my "fault", because the shuttle felt down to the middle-right side, where's my position were more ideal than his to smash.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I would choose (b);
    you additionally tell him you are going to buy him a new one.

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Have you ever replaced your partners racquet or has somebody broken yours and you were annoyed they didn't replace it?

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    My thoughts are only based on my previous experience

I have never broken anyone's racket before, but others have broken my rackets a few times. Therefore, my thoughts are only based on my previous experience.

Also, I have noticed a few players (in my Badminton sessions) not wishing to partner with players who are aggressive and inexperienced, simply because they are worried that they can get hurt and/or their rackets can get broken.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The opposing side lifted to you guys obviously, but what was the shot from your side that made them lift?
    I.e if payer A played a net shot then ran back to smash a lift then its player A's fault and he should offer to pay. If it was just your side cleared then they cleared back and you both went to smash that clear, then it's just 50/50 clash so you just move on sh*t happens.

8. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

depends on situation

if i hit my racket into him...n his 1 break.... i pay for it....

else..talk to him..on how to settle for..

as in anything...in life...
    accidents do happen ....n u just cant explain it...

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's not simple. I never broke someones racket. There are many factors. The relationship to your partner and the situation. If it was my fault I would replace it.
    In my club is someone known as the racket destroyer. He destroy nearly 1-2 rackets a month from his partners. He only excuse his mistakes. I hate him.:mad: Nobody want to play with him, because he is so reckless.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

its a known risk. unless you made a big mistake, then do nothing or offer a token gesture. definitely no need to pay for a new one by yourself.

11. alexh

alexh Regular Member

If someone else broke my racket, then normally I would say it was an accident, just part of the game, I wouldn't expect them to pay for it.

But I'd make an exception for some people. There was a guy I played with a few times, had a big smash but no brain, used to poach shots from me all the time. He'd go for anything in the middle of the court even if I yelled "mine". We clashed rackets a few times, and eventually I refused to play with him. If that guy had broken my racket, I would have asked him to pay for it, since I'd already told him a few times that he needed to be more careful.

But under normal circumstances I wouldn't make a big deal of it. If you play badminton, you have to buy a new racket now and then, and there's not much to be gained by arguing over whose "fault" it is.

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I hate this. have made a point of shouting "mine" clearly 3 times before hittting and it's still not enough for some morons to process. Never thought doubles was so hard to understand attacking net and back defense sides good push move to net whats the deal?