single stringing and double stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by n00b, Jun 15, 2003.

1. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    i have a question. my really good in badminton cousin came to my house and looked at my ti-10. he said that the next time i get it stringed i should get it double stringed. so it can handle more tensions and keep teh tension for more time. i didn't really get what he meant but he said that the racquets with double stringing have 2 knots in the lower corner and single has 1 knot. it is all confusing to me so can someone please help me.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    What he meant was one-piece stringing vs two-piece stringing. One-piece stringing is when both the mains and crosses are done just using one long piece of string (hence two knots - 1 at the bottom and 1 at the top). Two-piece stringing means that the mains are done with one piece and another separate piece is used for the cross (hence four-knots in total - three at the bottom and 1 at the top). There are pros and cons and boils down to personal preference.

3. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    but whats the advantage of the double string that most factory strung Yonex come with and single string that most stringers do

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With my own experience and infomation from several other local stringers, I think it's more down to the stringer own preference (machine, clamp, strings in reel or in pack, etc) rather than the actual impact.

1. Most pro. stringer (using 4+ support, spring system, etc)prefer 1-piece method, due to saving string and time (tighten everything together)

2. Seems more ppl "believe" for ISO rackets, 2-piece is more suitable for the head shape. However, still see a lot ISO rackets with 1-piece, and working great.

3. If using 2-pt weight drop machine, almost no way to do 1-piece, due to lack of clamp, possible of head shape change.

4. Most of amature stringers (ppl own string machine at home, not for business, but just for self and friends, etc), prefer 2-piece method. Dealing with 5m of string is tough already, 10m will be a nightmare in some sense.

5. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

to me 2 piece stringing holds tension longer, feels better. 1 piece tends to stretch out faster, loses tension faster, feel mushy.