Pronation hitting to the right

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Nov 14, 2011.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hello,

I've recently learned to pronate my forearm when hitting overhead shots. I think of it like turning a car key counterclockwise. When I pronate my forearm the full 180 degrees so my racket face is towards the right (I'm right handed), the birdie always flies towards the right instead of straight. What am I doing wrong?

2. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Sounds like you are pronating too much before impacting the shuttle.
    The good thing is that you now know the basics of how to make a reverse slice. ;)

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The problem could be the timing of the pronation, as Nauroa says. But it could also be your trunk and shoulder motion. You'll have to modify how those rotate through your swing now that you've added pronation. In other words, it's probably a timing thing that will come very quickly with practice.:)
    Lastly -- and you've surely done this already -- make sure your grip is correct.

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Yes probably slightly pan handle which is why the shuttle goes off to the right but at least it shows you're rotating the forearm. Many players that have learnt to be panhandle tend not to pronate, hence upon adjustment to the correct grip they're shots all tend to go left (right handers) because they don't pronate to square up the racket face.

5. scuInd78

scuInd78 Regular Member

Do Profis do that in the opposite direction for overhead backhand?

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Someone drew a schematic of how the pronation should twist in the forearm before. Cannot remember which thread. I thought that was helpful.

7. TraineeSneakers

TraineeSneakers Regular Member

Student
    My 2 cents: be soft and whippy. Start slow, and progress. Youll get better control

8. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    If you are getting the pronation technique right then the only mistake that could result in a shot always being off to the right is your grip. Make sure the center piece of your index finger is on the string facade (aka parallel to the strings)

This video is the best online instructional video for pronation and gripo... this video will be your best friend until you get the hang of overhead swings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ

9. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Thank You, I've found the problem to be my grip. I held my grip unlike in the pronation video which I've ignored all along! After fixing my grip to be looser with space between fingers and the palm of my hand, BAM effortless clears. Thank you everyone!

10. Atreyukicks

Student
    Glad to hear your clears are better :)

11. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi ppl
    I ve recentely experienced something kind of funny.
    I am a low technique player and my forehand clears were made with big effort (mostly because of using only the arm) ... I got tired very soon during the training.
    I ve researching the theory and since last week I ve been using the pronation, but with a slightly (mental or not...) difference: I ve been trying that the pronation is lead not by forearm initiative but by the action of squeezing the fingers and then the pronation comes naturaly and with finger power together. My clears are made with much much less eforts and the hitting sound is that we all love to ear.
    Because I am a low technique player it has been difficult to me to coordinate the body rotation (I believe this way it requires less) and the drops shots have been less easy to make.
    About these principles in backhand supination ... well ... one step at a time ...
    Can anyone give an opinion? or can someone try and give me feedback?
    Thnks

12. Atreyukicks

Student
    You are already supposed to tighten your fingers during the shot AS WELL as forearm pronation. When you play badminton in 95% of shots you should NOT hold your racquet tightly. Same goes here, hold it slightly loose and tighten a little moment before impact. This will keep your stroke short and powerful. Body rotation is optional and will come with experience. When you find yourself at the back of the court out of balance and want to clear you cant always rotate your body so make sure your technique is good so you can still manage to clear full court without body rotation. Then when you do start to use body rotation youll notice you will last almost twice as long in singles since clearing will be a breeze (and singles requires A LOT of clearing...)

13. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Yeah, I remember watching a ZHJ tutorial where he cleared with just finger tightening and the regular overhead motion. Regardless, as long as you hit the shuttle when it begins to descend, you'll pretty much clear everytime (granted you use correct technique)

14. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi
    @ atreyukicks and j_noodles ... Thnks, I ve noticed it works, since racket is not hold tight before the stroke, timing and and arm and body coordination are something that comes from the practice. With arm relaxing and and thinking about fingerpower, we can get the pronation naturally without worrying about it.