it's really hard to tell which racquet is better

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by silentlight, Jun 16, 2003.

1. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I use to play with a Hiqua Pro 3500 (~1.5yrs.), it was okay, I had nothing to compare it with but I was satisfied enough to stay with it. The racquet felt different each time I changed the string, string tension and even the grip, sometimes better, other times worst but usually better when trying something new (I use low-ish tension in the 18-21 range) as long as the modification is minor--people just feel good when something is new with their racquet, I guess, they feel more motivated to play, more powerful, etc. Then I got to try somebody else's racquet, it was an old carbonex racquet, it was heavier and more flexible, I played with it and instantly liked it from the first clear to the last drop. So I thought maybe it's time to explore. I eventually got an mp-77. There was a huge difference between these 2 racquets, the hq pro 3500 was a 4u and short while the mp-77 was a 2u and long. I couldn't play with the mp-77 in the beginning, I lost all sense of power, timing, everything, I just didn't feel at home with it. But despite all that I continued using the mp-77 because I *did* pay for it and it wasn't cheap. Now, after about 9 months, I find myself at ease with the mp-77 and completely out of touch with the hq pro 3500. I tried switching back to the hq pro 3500 a few times, I even changed the string, grip, everything, I tried playing with it for a week without switching back to the mp-77 before finally giving up. It just didn't feel right anymore. So I guess what I'm getting at is that how am I suppose to know which racquet is better and more importantly more appropriate for me when it seems that any racquet can feel good to me given time excluding of course obsolete racquets like those made with steel, etc. So I find myself wondering what really defines a good racquet, is it the ease to get into it like the aformentionned carbonex racquet or just very general things like making sure to get a racquet that is not too heavy, not too light, not too flexible, etc. I'm not shopping for a new racquet because I do feel alright with my current mp-77 racquet but at the same time I see badminton as a long term passion of mine and as such I would have liked to think that I was using a racquet that is good and is best for me and my game; trying out other racquets doesn't really seem to offer objective results because I can like almost any racquet given time. Anyways, I don't think there is a definite answer to all that but I guess I just wanted to say what I felt. Well, thanks for listening or reading rather :).

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

maybe that was because your change was so drastic. If you slowly switch, say from 4u stiff reg to 3u stiff reg, then 3u stiff to 3u xtra stiff long, then to 2u extra stiff long, then you'll better be able to compare the differences. But then again that would cost $1000 of racquets. ;)

3. silentlight

student/programmer
    I guess this all started when someone recently talked to me about the "ultimate" racquet for someone. You'll never know if there's a racquet out there that is perfect or at least better for you than the one you currently own and use.

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well, you can obviously like any racquet after a certain amount of time mainly because you've learned to really adapt to it. You gotten used to the weight, stiffness, strings, tension, grip etc. It really because a great racquet. However, certain racquets will perform better than others even though you're used to it. :) e.g. I think the MP77 works best for you now because you're most comfortable with head heavy racquets where the HQ racquet is not as head heavy and some where in the middle of balanced and head heavy (I don' t have a general idea but I have used a HQ 3800).

Yodums

5. silentlight

student/programmer
    Yodums, what did you think of your hq 3800, what were its specs? How does it compare to your other racquets?