Yonex stringing pattern for the last two mains.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by asmd6230, Nov 15, 2011.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

hi guys,

was looking at stringing patterns. with YY pattern, we cant tension the last main using a machine with flying clamps.

am using mostly carlton and apacs rackets right now and noticed that none of them came strung that way. it was strung in a linear fashion all the way to the end and tied off.

whats the advantage of the YY pattern?
    Is it only for YY rackets? (taking account frame design..?)
    pros and cons of regular pattern and the YY pattern.

btw, im perfectly happy with how my rackets play strung with the regular pattern, im just a noob curious about the patterns and if its an advantage to adopt the YY pattern on my non YY rackets.

regards.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi,

You are right that with the Yonex stringing pattern, you can not tension the M11 and use fly clamp. What I usually does is to increase the M10 by 10% (since i need to do it for the cross anyway) then tie off. This way, the M11 will be close to your desire tension and M10 will lost some tension during tie off anyway.
    2 reasons for the Yonex pattern and tie offs.
    1) There are 3 shared grommets at lower part of the racquet. If you string main just like tennis racquet, the tie off distance from grommet B12 to B8 are too far (Please note there is a skipped B11 for main). You can not tie off the main (or try not too) on B10 because you can not insert cross through the shared grommet
    2) During the 80s, when racquet design start to take big leap due to material and manufacture advance, the stringing pattern become an issue that how you tension (with fly clamp) the M10 when it is narrow on the top then M11 and clamp on both M10 and 11 while it is extra wide down low. Basically, you there is a major tension lost with the other way.
    Good luck.

3. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

my thoughts are exactly the same as the reply above.

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    If you want to cheat...
    Thread the last 2 mains in the Yonex stringing pattern and add 10% tension and then pull on B10. This will tension both strings, but you will need to repeat it several times to get the tension balanced. Then you can clamp B10 to B9 and tie off at B8.
    If you really want to do the Yonex pattern with flying clamps this is the easiest way to do it.

If you do a normal pattern, 2 piece, use the clamps to hold the string at B11 and thread the bottom 5 crosses, going from the grommet above B11 (depending on where your clamp is) and work your way down. It makes it a little easier to thread the bottom crosses before you tie the mains off.

5. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

thanks for the reply chaps!