Questions on Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kanelam, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Kanelam

Kanelam New Member

Need some opinion from fellow forummers regarding my smash.
    By the way, I am right handed and have no formal coaching lessons.Just a casual player

Most of the time, my racket will hit my left thigh during follow through after smash.
    It will sometimes happen too when doing forehand clear.

I can only think of 2 reasons

1) Is it because during the location of shuttle when contacting with racket head
    2) Not pronating my right arm during smash.

As you have guessed it, my smashes are quite weak

Thanks,

2. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Personally I think it's due to improper power execution (thus weak smash). There might be too much residue power left on the racket after shuttle contact. Think of this way, it's easier to steer a car travelling at low speed than one travels at 200kph. U want maximum racket speed just before or at shuttle contact. Loosen yr grip if u have a tight grip.

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Well although the follow through points to some of the improper techniques in your smash form, it's just a result, not a cause. To answer your problem directly, your follow through seems to go in the wrong direction at the last portion, hence why you hit your thigh. If I were to describe what it should feel like after a smash, it should be like sheathing your sword at your left hip once your smash is done. That way the racket doesn't hit your thigh but instead goes around your left side of the body. To help with your smash form it'll be better if we have a video though.

4. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    Well I have actually gotten a pretty good powerful smash (with proper technique, pronation and everything) and still sometimes hit my thigh (or even worse....) which is usually the case when the shot is almost out of reach and requires a weird leap or body position. I never hit my thighs on perfect shots I don't have to move with...is this your case as well? If you are hitting your thighs even when someone is feeding you the bird then you have improper technique (panhandling is not necessary improper...however if you are hitting yourself...something is wrong lol)

5. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

wow thats a really long follow through, sounds like you trying to force more power out of your arm rather than your wrist. this should never happen for clears.

you need to practise on just the snapping the racket, roughly just around the impact. then you wouldnt need to use such an inefficient stroke. grip lightly, then only squeeze the grip just before you flick your wrist. later you can incorporate it with the full swing and you'll get a better over all "snap" :D

or if you 're just strugling to get the shuttle to the back, you could try borrow/getting a medium flex racket with a lower tension and slightly heavy head :p

6. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    lol I follow through on lazy hits, when i smash or clear my hardest my stroke is at a complete stop before my racquet head is around belly button level lol Lazy clears without much effort though I let my racquet go through

7. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

hahaha, you're right! i never really notice about the being lazy part :p

more like you hit and follow through and admire your shot for a while, then when they get it you're like OMGWTFBBQ! :D

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

You keep on hitting yr left thigh means you don't twist yr arm/body enough. If it is a strong n fast smash yr left leg/thigh should move backward n yr right body move forward. Thus yr left leg a bit behind yr right one.

You are supposed to twist yr upper body which naturally yr legs will follow. However, this only applies on powerful or all out smash, not on "quick/tap smashes".

#8 sautom88, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  9. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

I don't think your follow through should be so big...its supposed to be a nice short, compact swing

10. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

I've sacked myself a couple times..

11. visor

visor Regular Member

In the jewel sacks?! :eek: :p

12. Supong temsu

Supong temsu New Member

Student
    Hi every one hope one and all is enjoying China open 2011. I have a question to which comment, answers are most well come. I wear a glass -2.75 on right and -2.50 0n the left so i was wondering whether the real shuttle altitude and the shuttle altitudue that appear through my glass has variation which make my smash inconsistent.

13. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

Sadly yes >.< those days where my smash technique was completely off..

14. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

impossible for me to imagine it >.< ouch...