Yonex BG 80 / 85 - Pointless to use with plastic shuttles ?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sean Kelly, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly New Member

Computers'n'stuff
    Fellow players have provided good feedback for Yonex BG 80 & 85 for playing with feathers. I'd like to give it a try. I currently play with BG 65 Ti on 24lb tension.

However, I play with plastics quite a bit too (Yonex Mavis 300 & 370 in case it matters) as I play badminton whenever I can and some clubs simply play with plastics (for cost reasons I assume). It was mentioned to me that this might "waste" the 80s or 85s as they would wear out just as quick (if not quicker) with no added benefit.

So, I would like to ask for comments/opinions on the following points:

- Should I play plastics with BG 80 or 85? Is it going to "waste" the string? Should I string a spare racket with something else - perhaps sticking with the 65 Ti ?

- If I'm fairly happy using 24lb on the 65 Ti, should I also string the 80 / 85 to the same? Or, because it's a different type of string, should i be adjusting my tension somehow?

- If I'm going to dedicate rackets to feathers, and different rackets to plastics, should i run different tensions because of the type of shuttle?

I appreciate a lot of this is trial'n'error but I'm looking for some opinions/views to start from. I also appreciate that perhaps none of this really matters unless you're at the absolute of your game ... and if that's your opinion, then please say so! ;)

Thanks,

Sean.

2. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    I'm not certain but I've never heard of plastic shuttles wearing out strings faster than feathers.

That aside, I don't think its a waste. I'm using bg80 right now at 24 pounds and I feel like its good with both kinds of shuttles. Obviously feathers will get the most out of bg80 but even with plastics, I get the characteristic hard feeling of bg 80 that a I can't get with nbg 95.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I play with both types of shuttles every week and I do have separate rackets at different tensions for each type of bird. For feather I use vs850 @ 25lbs, while for plastic I use vs850 @ 22lbs. It's not a matter of durability for me but a matter of feel and power. I find that those are the best settings, with plastic at 2-3 lbs lower. ..... BG80 for feather already feels harsh, and it would feel even harsher if you used it for plastic at the same tension as for feather.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Plastics have to be hit harder to get the same results, but BG80/85 is most definitely NOT a waste:).