Difference between starting pin and clamping b1 & b2 with flying clamp?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by asmd6230, Nov 18, 2011.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

hi guys,

am curious to know whats the difference between using a starting pin and simply using a flying clamp to clamp b1 and b2 near the throat and tension b1 on the other side to start.

theres tension loss when using a starting pin as b1 is clamped to the starting pin after tensioning but the starting pin is untensioned right?

also, i have more then two clamps, can anybody post on how to use more than two flying clamps for better results. (video or tutorial...)

i cant figure out where to use the extra clamps. :)

regards,
    asmd.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You can find some good tutorial here with pictures: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/44504-Klipper-M140-Stringing-Instruction

If you have a drop weight or electrical machine, then I think the difference is very min, as the later tension process will make up the earlier tension loss.

Regarding 3 or 4 flying clamps, mostly it's useful at the last 1 or 2 tensioned main or cross, right before tie the knots. I believe there are some descriptions in the above link as well.

3. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

IMAG0605.jpg
    In case my description wasnt clear enough... anything wrong starting like this instead of a starting pin?

4. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

@ lazybuddy.. ha ha... we posted at about the same time.
    thanks for the reply, will look at the link.

5. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

btw, wrt the picture above, the carlton pt v1.0 (or razor), the cross strings can only be strung in one direction. Wont work if strung in the opposite direction. learnt that one the hard way. :p

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Regarding the picture, compare to the starting pin method, you will lose more tension for the 1st 2 to 4 strings. If you have a consistent pull machine, you can make up the loss later, especially if you pull it more than once. If you have a crank machine, then you will end up more significant of a problem.

1 suggestion is if you need to clamp B1, B2, do it as close to the throat as possible.

7. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

thanks for the reply.

i was pondering about that which is why i tried this out.
    btw, read through the link you posted, some of this has been discussed alrady regarding the 1-2 pound loss in the first two mains.

what i do is retension b1 after i clamp the first two mains. i did have the problem of tension loss in the first two mains initially, but this seems to have alleviated it to most part. (i pull each string 3 times)

just want to know if others who do this are also happy with the result. if so, this could help those starting out.

i found that i had more tension loss in the first two mains using the string pin. ( i "ping" the string and listen to the pitch), seems i get more consistent results without using the starting pin.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The key factor regarding tension loss is clamping, and how much of the loss you can recover from the later tension steps. That's why I kept saying, it will have minimal difference if you use a consistent pulling machine, compare to a crank machine.