Defining IN or OUT

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Cloud7z, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

So me and a friend were having a debate. I said if part of the shuttle touches the line (even if it's a tiny bit) the shot counts as in.
    He was saying that the majority (over half) of the shuttle has to touch the line for it to count as in.

So guys, what is the rule on this?

Cheers

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

As long as the shuttle touches ANY part of the line, it's in.

But it's so hard to tell with the naked eye if the shuttle has grazed the last millimeter of the line

3. visor

visor Regular Member

As long as the *cork* head touches the line, it's in. Whether the shuttle skirt touches the line is irrelevant.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Hey madbad, you beat me to it! With almost the same answer! :)

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hehe, SNAP! :p

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

It's interesting what the others said is correct but when you think about a high clear that is dropping directly down on the back line, due to the cork being round, the point of contact is close to half of the shuttle being on the back of the line but more interestingly if you are above the shuttle you don't have the angle to see if this point has contacted the line it's impossible, again because it is round.

7. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    This is not a tournament right?

Just let our opponent win the point. For me, when my opponent call an 'in' even I clearly see it's 'out', I will just let my opponent take the point.. >_<

8. BaoQingWang

BaoQingWang Regular Member

Profesional
    agree, no point to argue about that one point (if it is not crucial like 18 onwards :) )

9. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    that's why in tournament, one line judge is watching only one line with respect to his seating

10. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    i used to play with one colleague in the office who is somehow petty about this.
    he likes to argue in terms of percentage like 20% touched the line, so it is out.
    i said no it is 21% :)
    just amazing how he could gauge the percentage with his perspective within such a short time during the landing. to me, he is just petty. normally, i would just let him get the point. no use to argue for such petty thing :)

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Does it matter with the timing? E.g. if the skirt hits/touches the floor visibly outside the line first, then the cork touches the line?

12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

People say the cork because it's almost physic-ally impossible for the feathers to hit 1st, but if it does somehow happen and it touches the ground 1st on the line, it's still in.

Here, I found this on our USAB Umpire forums, pretend the tennis ball is a shuttle and see how well you guys do with this test. On some shots, it BARELY grazes the line, but it's still considered in. See if your naked eye can catch it.

The number after the IN or OUT word tells you how far IN or OUT it was. The smaller the #, the closer to it being to the line or on the line. IN 0 is the hardest because that means it barely grazes the line.

http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/George_Mather/TennisCall.html

#12 CantSmashThis, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

As a line judge, that has done some international tournaments, we were taught that if any part of the shuttle touches the line on impact with the ground, then it is in. If it's ever so slightly out (and you're 100% sure (even if you are not:p)) then you should shout "OUT" as loud as you can, the closer the call the louder you shout.:p

When playing socially though, if the shuttle is slightly out., I will probably just give the shuttle to my opponent, cause I can't be bothered arguing, or I will put my racket on the line, to show that the shuttle had to go wide of the line as it went past my racket:) unless it's a tournament of course where everything matters...

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member