User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LCW did not appear to be up for this match. LD was in the usual "not particularly care" mode.

The match had its bright spots as both player had moments of brilliance from time to time. However, this match was nowhere near the absolute duel that the World Championship Final was.

LD has fine-tuned his game to another level since the Beijing Olympics. LD can comfortably shift in and out of high gear at will. On the other hand, LCW looks like the he has been burning the candle at both ends and totally exhausted physically and mentally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superb stuff from LD
    congrats

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedShuttle View Post
    LCW did not appear to be up for this match. LD was in the usual "not particularly care" mode.

The match had its bright spots as both player had moments of brilliance from time to time. However, this match was nowhere near the absolute duel that the World Championship Final was.

LD has fine-tuned his game to another level since the Beijing Olympics. LD can comfortably shift in and out of high gear at will. On the other hand, LCW looks like the he has been burning the candle at both ends and totally exhausted physically and mentally.
    I don't think LCW is burnt out. It is more that he changed his tactic because of the olympic. He do not chase the small title anymore and now is more or less on holiday. The hard work will begin sometimes between april and may, with intense training, so he can arrive in London in the best condition. I think Gade is doing exactly the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD got more brains than LCW. Period. See the interviews.

Maybe maybe maybe... how to make it??? lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not familiar with LCW's interviews. Language might be an issue (for me) as I understand chinese but not bahasa, so it is unfair to judge by interviews given in english by LCW.
    But that LD has some brain is for sure - though sometimes it might not be so important. I mean, 'brain' comes with so much variety...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give LD credit for the brain power woooing XXF. lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed!......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fauci View Post
    I prefer to watch the very fast and attacking but elegant Lin Dan between 2005 and 2008. He has slowed down since and his games have become more tatical. LCW is now much more aggresive than before, but his games are also more physical and, from a viewer's point, less enjoyable.
    LD has the advantage of brainy coaches who help him think. LCW, well, he learns faster on his own than from his coaches. LD is not stupid but LCW is definitely smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LCW is smart in eating mcd. lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tsae75 View Post
    One of the reasons why I think Lin Dan and the top Chinese players will always reign over LCW is because Lin Dan, the top players and the Chinese coaches are more intelligent both on and off the court than LCW and his anchorage. Lin Dan as a person from his many interviews and TV appearances has proved that he posseses a very conscientious, quick-witted and rational character over his opponent from Bohehland who basically can only rely on himself and his Hokkien coach. I really can't see much inspiration or motivation there, can you? The quicker you realized that you can't or don't have to win every single match or tournament out there, the calmer and more relaxed player/person you would become.
    Agree. If you judge LD from interviews, he comes across very savvy, an instant hit. That could be natural or trained. That interview about the mother and XXF has the objective of creating the soft image of LD as a model son and husband. LCW is very raw in interviews partly because English is not his first language. Maybe someone should let him know he may use 'perhaps' for variety instead of just maybe. Maybe he knows about the word perhaps but prefers the word maybe because it s less effort. Maybe it s a verbal expression of his humility which he s known for. As a person, LCW comes across as someone you can trust. LD sounds so clever you don t know whether he s lying or impressing. But LD is improving in honesty except during tournaments where he will apologize to his opponents for net cord wins but show no respect for the fans with his fake or MC badminton.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Agree. If you judge LD from interviews, he comes across very savvy, an instant hit. That could be natural or trained. That interview about the mother and XXF has the objective of creating the soft image of LD as a model son and husband. LCW is very raw in interviews partly because English is not his first language. Maybe someone should let him know he may use 'perhaps' for variety instead of just maybe. Maybe he knows about the word perhaps but prefers the word maybe because it s less effort. Maybe it s a verbal expression of his humility which he s known for. As a person, LCW comes across as someone you can trust. LD sounds so clever you don t know whether he s lying or impressing. But LD is improving in honesty except during tournaments where he will apologize to his opponents for net cord wins but show no respect for the fans with his fake or MC badminton.
    LCW does sound like a regular Malaysian street kid, sometimes indecisive and having a lot of diligence and street smart. LD on the other hand is a literate gentlemen who speaks wisely and in control.

But you would never know each man without actually spending time with them each. Your street smart kid (whom you may think resembles your neighbourhood kid) could turn out to be somewhat of an opportunistic backstabber while the university professor who bugs your knowledge with his wise thinking philosophy could turn out to be a charity giver and great teacher

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kak Pjswift, maybe is direct translation from the word 'mungkin'. I've noticed LCW also says 'mungkin' when he gives interviews in malay. Those who dont usually speak/use English would not use 'perhaps', they use maybe
    In Msia, one needs to speak humbly in public, cannot sound arrogant or everyone will come down....hard.

On this interviews thingy, LCW of course speaks Mandarin most fluent, doesnt hesitate to answer in Mandarin. Malay also rather fluent, from years of having Misbun as coach. English, lol but at least can speak lah.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 11-21-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Kak Pjswift, maybe is direct translation from the word 'mungkin'. I've noticed LCW also says 'mungkin' when he gives interviews in malay. Those who dont usually speak/use English would not use 'perhaps', they use maybeIn Msia, one needs to speak humbly in public, cannot sound arrogant or everyone will come down....hard.On this interviews thingy, LCW of course speaks Mandarin most fluent, doesnt hesitate to answer in Mandarin. Malay also rather fluent, from years of having Misbun as coach. English, lol but at least can speak lah.
    True. Mungkin is a very important word in Bahasa. Let him know maybe is not a good word in English. Just drop the maybe and he will sound better in English. Also save energy for badminton. Kill two birds with no stone!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think LCW's mother tongue is "min nan hua", the dialect from Fujian, but I am not sure. LD's mother tongue is min nan hua ; I guess when they meet they use it together (and Chen Long as well).
    I think we should not exaggerate LD's cleverness ; he has perhaps a sharp tongue and he definitively knows the game like no one else, but he did not go to school : his life had been badminton and more badminton since early childhood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not think either cleverness or interview skills has much to do with education. Even a PhD can appear to be kinda stupid in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by renbo View Post
    I think LCW's mother tongue is "min nan hua", the dialect from Fujian, but I am not sure. LD's mother tongue is min nan hua ; I guess when they meet they use it together (and Chen Long as well).
    I think we should not exaggerate LD's cleverness ; he has perhaps a sharp tongue and he definitively knows the game like no one else, but he did not go to school : his life had been badminton and more badminton since early childhood.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by braids View Post
    I would not think either cleverness or interview skills has much to do with education. Even a PhD can appear to be kinda stupid in an interview.
    Exactly, that is my point. We should not make too much out of interview skills.
    But it is fair to say that when playing badminton LD is indeed clever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by renbo View Post

Min-nan-hua has been the language medium which has been used extensively between by and between coach Tay and LCW for his coaching and encouragements. It can be heard clearly during the mid game and set intervals when the camera zooms in on them both.

Min-nan-hua is also the most common language/dialect especially among the Chinese-descented Malaysians in Penang where LCW originates from.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast