LCW in his best form but LD can still dominate him

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open 2011' started by galaxyduo, Nov 18, 2011.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Arguably, LCW is in his best form ever. Lately, LCW has won all his matches in 2 sets against any opponent in the world (except against Chen Long). Yet, as good as LCW's form is, today's match was quite lopsided.

I have not seen LCW dominated like today for some time. Even Chen Long's recent wins against LCW was a hard fought match by Chen Long. But LD made it look so easy today.

As for LD, he must be the most "inconsistent" best player in the world. LD can win the World Championships, then goof around at the Denmark and French open and get knocked out early, and then come back and dominate the world ranked #1.

IMO, if LD gets serious for the Olympics, nobody can defeat him. I'm not sure if LD is serious now or not - his recent performance in France and Denmark indicate he is not really serious yet. But if LD focuses in the 4 months before the Olympics, I cannot see how he can be stopped from becoming "Super Dan" again.

2. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

not Super Dan, but "Superb Dan".

3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yup. Who will show up for the Olympics? "Superb Dan" or "Super Dan"?

4. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I am sure you will see a "Superb Dan" in OG 2012.

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

LD still owns LCW in the mental department. Unless LCW can sort this out, it's curtains for the OG gold.

6. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Only in mental department? That's humble... It looks like LD also owns LCW in on-court tactics, adaptability, response to on-court changes... sad to say...

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    LCW wasn't playing that well in the HKO semi. seems a bit half hearted. only managed to pick up some pace at the middle of the 2nd game but not much more than that.

perhaps a bit of fatigue after having play so many tournaments this year.

LD is an enigma. what the heck is he thinking? doesn't seem to have one coherent answer/analysis so far. best we can do is that he is not interested. but that's weak analysis. maybe he is just playing with people's minds. he certainly don't need to go out and get the prize money, he has plenty of dough himself. he is attending the superseries because he has to. so maybe that explains the lack of motivation.

8. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

LD was not even playing 100% in the 2nd set. LD held back his smashes and was content to play on defense. If LD plays 100% and goes all out smashing against LCW, as he did in the 2008 OG, the score in the 2nd set could even be more lopsided. It felt like LD was conserving energy in the 2nd set for the 3rd set. Or maybe LD was just too lazy to smash in the 2nd set. I dunno, it feels like LD has not shown all his cards to LCW and will only show his cards to LCW at the 2012 OG.

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Lin Dance is still good, nowadays I only see him play seriously when against LCW...

10. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    One of the reasons why I think Lin Dan and the top Chinese players will always reign over LCW is because Lin Dan, the top players and the Chinese coaches are more intelligent both on and off the court than LCW and his anchorage. Lin Dan as a person from his many interviews and TV appearances has proved that he posseses a very conscientious, quick-witted and rational character over his opponent from Bohehland who basically can only rely on himself and his Hokkien coach. I really can't see much inspiration or motivation there, can you? The quicker you realized that you can't or don't have to win every single match or tournament out there, the calmer and more relaxed player/person you would become.

11. leesing2k

leesing2k Regular Member

LCW was leading 9-3 then suddenly losing 11-13 on the first set. This is the changing point of this game. After this, it is all going wrong. Drop shot is not sharp, smashes is not sharp as well, there is totally no pressure for super Dan's defensive play. This is one of LCW worst game.

LD is controlling the whole game and LCW has no card to play.
    By the way, the way that LD returning the smashes is superb.

12. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I prefer to watch the very fast and attacking but elegant Lin Dan between 2005 and 2008. He has slowed down since and his games have become more tatical. LCW is now much more aggresive than before, but his games are also more physical and, from a viewer's point, less enjoyable.

13. alexyong

alexyong Regular Member

There's no one LD can't beat when he wants to. It's also funny how LCW thought he was catching up to LD but i don't think so.

Mind you this isn't even a fraction of his 2008 Olympic form.

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Did I say ONLY in the mental department? Somebody needs some reading glasses. ;)

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I think LCW has gotten better and has closed the gap with LD - shown in LCW's win against LD at AE this year. However, LCW has just closed the gap with a lazy and inconsistent LD.

I agree with you about LD. This is not even a fraction of his 2008 Olympic form. LD was hardly playing his best in the 2nd set, staying on defense throughout the 2nd set while LCW pulled out all the smashes. Sadly for LCW, a lazy LD on defense > LCW on all out attack.

If LD really focuses and trains for the Olympics, I can't see how he can be beaten. We'll see if LD decides to prepare properly for the Olympics or if LD will stay lazy and walk into the Olympics with his current form.

16. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

yet you said "... Unless LCW can sort THIS out,...."... someone needs some reading classes... :D

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

"This" is not an exclusive term. Over to you ;)

18. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

LCW did not appear to be up for this match. LD was in the usual "not particularly care" mode.

The match had its bright spots as both player had moments of brilliance from time to time. However, this match was nowhere near the absolute duel that the World Championship Final was.

LD has fine-tuned his game to another level since the Beijing Olympics. LD can comfortably shift in and out of high gear at will. On the other hand, LCW looks like the he has been burning the candle at both ends and totally exhausted physically and mentally.

19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Superb stuff from LD :)
    congrats

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I don't think LCW is burnt out. It is more that he changed his tactic because of the olympic. He do not chase the small title anymore and now is more or less on holiday. The hard work will begin sometimes between april and may, with intense training, so he can arrive in London in the best condition. I think Gade is doing exactly the same.