Level Doubles Help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by seanrachy, Jun 18, 2003.

1. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    I need some advice on what is the correct shot for the following.

My partner serves short, the opposite player pushes it to my backhand out towards side of the court, with the depth being varied between the mid-court to tram line area.

I do a fairly gentle straight backhand push (trying to be as tight as possible) to the net (ie: so I am not giving the lift)

My problem is that some of the better players having just rec'd my partners serve wait there ready to kill my shot off.

What other types of shots can I do ? I dont have the strongest b/hand around.

Cheers,
    Sean

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    I don't see much options here. You might as well lift it over him or make it go semi-high. If the opponent recognizes what you are going to play, which is drop or drive the bird. most likely there going to get an easy piont, by having the easy smash.

So just lift it or drive it past him. Or you can go cross court. In the bigger doubles court, you are able to do effective cross court shots.

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    This is a common problem.

Try to take the shuttle in front of you and drive, favouring a backhand grip while your partner serving may help, step forwards to take shuttle and with short hit drive past front player straight.

Alternative block crosscourt , the returner is probably going for the straight reply before you have hit.

Ask you partner to vary his serve, serving to the centre of the servie court rather than the "t" may break up the losing pattern.

Ask your partner to serve tight and then try to cut off the push in the forecourt, this can be done if you can anticipate,

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Someone once told me, "When in doubt, hit it high and far to the back". This will put the game back into neutral-mode, allowing you to comfortably go into the ready stance to take whatever the opponent is going to hit back at you.

In doubles, this helps to ensure that the attack is subdued in intensity because the opponent had to wait for the shuttle to drop before he could do anything, and by the time that happens, you're already in the position to take whatever he/she has to offer.

In singles, this puts the game back into 50/50 mode, with same effects as in doubles.

As Chia had said, unless you can disguise your shots well through consistent strokes, it's best you get it up high and far. The gentle push to the net should be done only if you think you or your partner are ready for any reply from the other side.

5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Unfortunately, I favour the ideas of driving the bird back than lifting it high. I guess it depends on the time and situation of the game when to do these shots. A mixture might help..for instance, perhaps firstly, do the straight drive shot past the front person (u would need to have a good drive shot or else a pretty decent player may just cut it off)..second time around, mix it up with maybe a cross court (although...cross court shots are really not the idealistic shot in doubles, before hand, discuss with ur partner that you'll be making some cross court shots so he can be ready for the return)...third time around, you could do the lift high to the back...and then jsut continue mixing it up if the same shot to your backhand keeps arousing after the serve.

I think lowest on the lift because when you lift, it really just puts your team in the defensive and if your defense isn't strong and you're playing a strong offensive team, no matter when you lift, the chances are you'll get killed. Therefore I don't think it puts the game in a "neutral" mode because one side obviously has some advantage... On the other hand, like i mentioned above, you can lift and mix up your shots..of course you'll lift if you're in trouble and use that shot to gather yourself for the next play. One more thing, if you plan to lift, like everyone else has said ..lift it HIGH..high enough so you can TAKE you TIME getting ready. My coach told me that when you lift, you might as well take it easy instead of rushing back to your ready position...that's what the lift is for, to get ready and NOT rush.