Player Assessment

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tipper1, Nov 21, 2011.

1. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Just wondered if any clubs/counties/teams have ever got a coach in to assess their players and given each of them areas to improve on and showed drills,etc to do so. The reason I ask is because we do not have a coach in our club or county and I wondered if we hired in a coach to visit us on a regular basis would it be worthwhile or possible to get each player assessed and our match tactics assessed by a coach and give us areas to work until there next session with us.

2. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Would a player assessment session be worth doing and beneficial or are there better ways ?

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

It's definately beneficial to have a coach come in for a few weeks. They will be able to assist with setting up drills and practices and hopefully some areas of individual development. There ought to be a county representative on the National Governing Body, if not then maybe the Local Authority will have a Sports Development Unit that you can plug into.

Are there any grants available to you? Here we have access to the Sportlot Lottery Funding for Clubs etc for grants upto £1500 to cover projects such as yours and will pay for players to start on the UKCC coaching certificate.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Why do you have to go this far. Most players know where there down falls are if they are really honest or any decent high level player will be able to see the cracks in most players games and its jus a matter of learning right technique and doing drills.

Yes a coach if preferable but this is not always an option for some clubs. I myself went to a lower level club as they asked for my guidance. I watched them play and sorted out their positions etc and what shots to play etc cause they werent sure where to stand and where althou most cud hit the shuttle well enough.

5. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Phil looking at their own game honestly me be part of the problem. I don't really know any solutions but a major problem for us our actual lack of coaching expertise at any level. Looking at ways to put a structure in place is our aim and in this way improve the standard from the youngest up.

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    If no1 in your club is that good then, u do have a prob. Shame you dont know any good badminton players whos also a mate who may come up and see what he thinks. Its not hard to find the probs. The hardest thing is putting in the effort to change. U may want to but what is the commitment of every1 else??

7. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I disagree. I've met a few high level players who've learned just by playing a lot from an early age. Often they play mostly by instinct and can't explain what they do. They're more interested in playing than in watching or talking, and they're not much good as coaches. (Of course you won't find such people on this forum--we like to talk about stuff here!) And for people who want to improve: knowing what you want to change, and knowing how to change it are two different things. For example, a lot of beginners complain that their backhand is no good. But the answer isn't to practice backhand shots, it's to improve footwork.