Best replacement for BG80?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mzc888, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mzc888

mzc888 Regular Member

Student, Coach
    So i currently string my rackets with BG 80 at a decently high tension (29x31lbs), my problem is i am breaking my strings so often it is costing me a huge amount of time and money. I train 16-20 hours a week and usually play 2 tournaments a month so i understand it is inevitable that i am going to break strings, but i am breaking 1-2 strings a week! :mad:

my question is, what is a string that has good repulsion (similar to BG80) that can handle high tension and has durability greater than BG 80? or does such a string even exist?

any suggestions would help. :)

thanks,

Matt

2. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

You could try the BG65Ti.

Or the BG85, I have heard this is good but it's not available in the UK so I personally have not tried it.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

That's pretty high tension and that's how long they'll last unfortunately. Have you considered changing to a stiffer racket so that you can use lower tensions to compensate?

4. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

BG85 is awesome but durability is REALLY REALLY BAD!

5. nightin9ale

nightin9ale Regular Member

How about the new, red version of Ashaway Zymax 67 or 70?

6. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

yeah, make sure you choose the red one or new packaging. i bought a yellow zymax 67 and it didnt even last my warm up :s

the red zymax62 lasts a 2 month+ and is my current go to string, its better than 67 in terms of feel but 67 is closer (and better) to BG80 in terms of feel, repulsion and durability

or you could try li-ning accupower 101N.

good luck!

7. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    Yes :crying:

8. hawkeye96

hawkeye96 Regular Member

You can try BG65 or BG65ti. More durable, but repulsion n feel not as good as BG80

9. visor

visor Regular Member

if you like the feel of bg85, then you should try victor vs850. most excellent feel

10. visor

visor Regular Member

yep, zm67 new version would probably come close to the feel of bg80, but still will lack that harsh feel that some people like about that string. however, zm67 is very durable and probably the best at tension retention

no, bg65 is too soft feel. zm67 new version will be closer to bg80 feel and yet more durable than bg65

11. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    with our cold dry canadian winters and such high tension, I'm surprised you're not breaking 1-2 strings per match.
    Live with the fact that strings will break quickly at high tension... the real question you should be asking is why aren't you strings breaking much quicker?

12. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    I've played with the BG80 for a really looooooong time. And same as you I've played soooo many hours, my strings broke really fast. same problem as yours.

Then I tried Victor VS-850 and I love it! It's really close to the BG80 (Korea national played only with BG80 and now VS-850).
    It's way cheaper than the BG80 and IMO it lasts even longer...
    (I play @ 28lbs)

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

BG80 Power? Available in US now...

14. mzc888

mzc888 Regular Member

Student, Coach
    thank you everyone for the feedback, it really helped :)
    i just ordered some packets of zymax 67 and victor vs850, i've been a little reluctant to try vs850 as my previous coach (kim dong moon) told me he didn't like the feel of the string.
    hopefully one of these strings will become my go to.

thanks again to everyone for their input!,

Matt

15. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    Ofcourse you gotta get used to the strings. Took me 2 practice sessions (=~6h) but I mean it's worth the money. I save a lot :D

btw: you're one lucky bastard to be trained by KDM ;P

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Awesome! Keep us updated on this thread as to how you find them.

17. mzc888

mzc888 Regular Member

Student, Coach
    Im not sure if anyone is interested anymore. But I've tried some different strings and this is what i have found. (All strung at 30-32, except for zymax 62 and compared to BG-80)

Zymax 67- i strung 2 rackets with this string and used them till i broke them. First impression was how soft it felt for a .67 gauge string, i was unimpressed in both repulsion and hitting sound. Also found it even less durable than BG-80.
    Overall- OVERRATED in every aspect

Zymax 62 (strung at 25-27)- Only strung two rackets. After my first rally i was blown away, the hitting sound was super high and it had a very crisp feeling. I thought this string was perfect until my second rally when it broke on smash defence. I broke my second set of zymax 62 about 3 rallies later.
    overall- repulsion, hitting sound, and 'crispness' all very good if not excellent... durability is absolutely horrible

VS 850-
    i strung 4 rackets with it and was quite impressed, it felt very similar to bg-80. however I found myself not only breaking strings on miss hits, but after a couple practises the strings were slightly frayed and broke in the center.
    overall- not a bad choice, but durablity is a slight issue

BG 85-
    I was using this string up until last week, and was very impressed. At first i had worries about its durability as it is a .67 gauge string, but i found its durability to be about the same as BG 80 . All around i found it to be a slightly improved BG80, it had even more 'bite'.
    overall- great string, it was even more crisp than BG80. hitting sound was also good. I highly recommend this string

BG 66 Ultimax-
    after playing with 85 for about 3 weeks, I was sure I found my new go to string. That was until a friend gave me a few packets of Ultimax to try. Because of how thin this string is durability was a concern and it did turn out to be slightly less durable to bg 80 (contrary to what Yonex will tell you). This was countered by every other aspect of the string. hitting sound- excellent, repulsion- excellent, every shot felt super crisp and i found myself hitting harder.
    overall- awesome string in every sense other than a slight drop in durability. This is my new string!

I went on a search for a new string because I felt I was breaking too many. Though i don't believe i found a string with the same bite as BG80 while increasing durability, BG 66 Ultimax has really gave me more confidence in my game. I can really see why so many pros use this string.

I hope this brief review of these strings will provide helpful for anyone :)

18. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

great update.

I went from BG-65 to BG-80 to Zymax 62 to NBG-98, and now very happy with BG-66UM. Also will try the new BG-80P to see how it performs.

19. icecoldcoke

icecoldcoke Regular Member

wow.. u must be frustrated playing badminton with all those strings breaking

20. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    BG80's are my main strings and I've been using this stuff for a long time. The only string I've considered trying out is the BG80 Power. It's supposed to be like the 80's but better durability and they claim more Power. I've ordered a couple packs to see what the hype is all about~