Possibly the best net retrieval ever?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by axl886, Nov 22, 2011.

1. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

From the 2nd last point of the 3rd game of the just-concluded WS finals of the 2011 SEA Games:

[video=youtube;io3qPYTvVko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=io3qPYTvVko#t=48 6s[/video]

At such a crucial point, no less... WOW.

2. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Holy Sh*t that is once nice netshot. :eek:
    Rally starts at 7.25 for those that want to go straight to the action.

3. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    My goodness :eek:, the timing and of it is even more dramatic!!! to pull out something like this at deuce 20pts even, in the 3rd and final set, in the tournament's final, representing a country that had never won a women's badminton gold in the games history, playing against a local player in her own country... amazing! :D:D:D

4. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

technical question: if the Indonesian play had hit/killed the shuttle when it was high, would it had been a fault because the shuttle is not clearly over the net??? that's one loopy/weird play

5. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

Yeah it would be an obvious fault because the shuttle wasn't over the net.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

initially i was thinking there's no way she could've done that... and after reviewing the video several times, i was right... she had faulted by touching the bottom of the net

you won't see it in the slow mo replay portion, but at 7:44 you'll see the bottom of the net move when her racket touches the bottom of the net at the instant she retrieves that tumbling net shot. there's no way the umpire sitting up high would have seen that fault, but the service judge would have seen it, but that's not his job and that is just the way life is sometimes...

(i know, i know, i've got a sharp eye and i'm a perfectionist... :))

#6 visor, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That was amazing...!

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Cmon guys, no one sees her fault when she touched the bottom of the net at 7:44???

9. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    watched it over and over but could not be certain with the video quality. the bird did ricochet off the net too..

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep I know, but the ricochet on the tape is not forceful and you can see that the net bottom movement happen right at the instant she hits the bird. Plus she contacted that tumbling net shot shuttle when it hadn't yet fallen below the net bottom. In all the similar net shot retrieval plays I've ever seen, the player would wait till it falls a bit below net bottom to avoid hitting the net. She obviously didn't and did touch the net unfortunately.

11. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    your point is very valid, tats for sure. but at 7.44 as you mentioned, it looks to me that she did hit it below the net bottom. i thought that it was during the replay that looked like she hit it before net bottom? i see your assessment and i actually think so myself. but its not obvious enough for a conclusion though..

12. visor

visor Regular Member

its very difficult to see for sure but it's there. anyone know how to do the gif animation to slow down the video at around 7:44? then you'll see what I see

13. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

She did hit the bottom of the net at 7:44. It would be clearer on the slow motion replay at 8:09. No wonder the the fans were singing the host nation's national anthem rather than the gold medal winner's in protest.
    This is how life is, its not a fault till one gets caught. Saw on youtube some time back that the game was given to LCW (against a jap, iirc) for a bad line call by the umpire. It was a clear out.

14. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    The fault must have been pretty difficult to spot by the umpire if it's this hard to confirm with slow motion and replay, right? :)

15. visor

visor Regular Member

why is it that hard to see at 7:44 ... the bottom of the net moved just as she contacted the bird

and just in case some may wonder perhaps that the net moved because of the bird hitting the tape at the top, but her net retrieve was very delicate and not forceful shot at all, so the movement at the bottom of the net is not due to the tape being hit

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The umpire can't spot the fault at the bottom (if there is one) because he has to look out for INA player if she commits any fault on top of the net.

17. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    there's a slight chance the net moved because of the breeze from the racket swing. It's obvious the net moves very freely (from evidence of bird touching the net and causing a big wave).

That being said, it's likely the player faulted, but I wouldn't say the evidence is 100% convincing.

18. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Something to add.

I think when Fu sliced the shuttle below the net, the shuttle touched the net on the way up, hence the net 'shook'.

The umpire did not fault, so I guess it's a game call. Although we saw the replay that the racquet may have hit the net.

The slice by Fu was horizontal and quite unlikely to hit the shuttle, (I assume) if the Umpire saw it from his lofty position. (He had to make a game decision on the spot, it's his call)

#18 Badmintan, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  19. jnrgirl02

jnrgirl02 Regular Member

Be fair she did a great job,NO empire will fault her in that situation.

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Don't agree beacause look at 8:10 - 8:11 when the shuttle clips the tape on the way back down exactly the same ripple occurs at the bottom of the net and nobodys racket was near at this point.