Relative Tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by HappySachs, Nov 25, 2011.

1. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Hi All

I have a question regarding the recommend relative tensions of various strings, let me explain.

My situation is that I have recently been gifted a stringing machine and with it I intend to try a number of different strings on my racket. The aim being to determine the strings I like the most and then bulk purchase them.

To this end I have purchased a pack each of: Nanogy 95, BG80, BG66UM, ZM62.

I've strung my trial racket with Nanogy 95, the stringing job was a success. I am currently playing with this racket, I strung at a tension of 24x26 lbs. From having a good look through this forum I've seen comments such as 'BG80 is a really hard string so string a few pounds less than typical' etc etc.

So my question is, how should I adjust the tension when stringing the remaining strings to get an equivalent feel to 24x26lbs of the nanogy 95?

e.g should I be stringing BG80 at 22x24 or the thinner strings at 22x24 in deference to the different guage?

Some advice and suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards

2. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

I would say 1- 2 lbs lower depending on how you like it. This is true for thinner string as well.

However, since you are stringing your own racket, it is relatively cheap for you to find your ideal string and tension.

Happy testing :)

3. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Thanks for the reply.

As I try different strings I'm going to update this thread, perhaps the information may be of interest to others.

I strung my MP88 with ZM62 at 22x24. Originally this racket had been strung with some unknown Ashaway string and after six months use the tension must have easily been sub 20 lbs. I played a couple of hours of doubles with the restrung racket today and the large difference in tension makes a detailed comparison nearly impossible. The extra tension has brought about a MASSIVE (yes capitals) improvement in control around the net and on drop shots, and smashes seem far more accurate.

Also different is the feeling you get from off-sweetspot hits; a hard feeling, with noticable torsion and a big reduction in repulsion. Surprisingly I also found smash defence and drives a lot easier to control, that is as long as I caught the sweetspot. :)

I'll give this string a few more session and then will likely cut it and then try either BG66UM or BG80.