Potential faults associated with the Net Kill

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by HappySachs, Nov 27, 2011.

1. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Hi, as I understand it in attempting a net kill (or any shot at the net) your racket can follow through over the net into the opponents side of the court.

However I have a few questions regarding this rule

1. In attempting the shot you miss the shuttle (air shot) and your racket passes over the net into your opponents side of the court is it a FAULT?

2. You correctly play the net kill but just before you contact the shuttle the leading edge of your racket passes over the net and THEN you contact the shuttle (on your side of the court) is it a FAULT?

3. In playing a net kill your follow through carries your racket over the net but you contact the opponents racket, are they at FAULT for Baulking you?
    3.b what if they are playing a stroke in anticipation of your shot and the contact happens with some contact of the shuttle by both rackets :D

4. You attempt to play a net kill yet the opponent has placed their racket at the net so you are unable to complete the stoke without striking their racket on the follow through so you choose to abort the stroke, again is this a FAULT by the opponent? Baulking/interference?

5. You strike the shuttle as it passes over the net such that the part you contact has passed into your side of the court yet at least some the shuttle remains in the opposing court.

I realise in the case of number 2 and 4 this would be almost impossible to judge in real time :)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow, looks like you love to net kill a lot! :D. .......5. Is not a fault as long as contact with bird is on striker side. .....3a and b would be obstruction so it's a fault. ........4. No fault if you don't play because you can't prove an obstruction if it didn't happen. ......2. Happening too fast, too hard to tell in real time. ......1. I suppose fault. If the bird didn't cross over to your side yet and you swipe at it, racket clearly crossing over the net, miss it, and still it doesn't cross over to your side; the it's a fault. If you miss it and it falls on your side, then you've lost the point anyway, so fault is a moot point.

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

1. is a fault. Rules state that "Invades an opponent's court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may FOLLOW the shuttle over the net..." The shuttle didn't cross the net, therefore you can't cross the net since you are not following the shuttle anymore in that case. And even then, you would lose the point unless you can miss the shuttle and swing over the net, but then get your racket back in time to make another shot, so the shuttle would fall on your side before all of that happens.

2. Will probably not be caught by the naked eye, so therefore in the decision of the umpire. But, if for some reason they clearly see this, then yes it is a fault. You cannot cross over the net unless you are following the shuttle as said above.

3a. Fault by your opponent. They cannot obstruct your shot.
    3b. Fault by your opponent. Even if they play in anticipation, they are not allowing you to fully follow through with your shot by obstructing it.

4. If in the mind of the umpire that it prevents you from attempting a shot, it is therefore a fault. But having your racket waiting at the net will almost always be called for obstruction even though you don't attempt a swing.

5. I do not understand what you are trying to ask here. Try to make it clearer please. Are you asking that half the shuttle is on your side and half the shuttle is on your opponent? As long as any part of the shuttle crosses to your side of the net, you are allowed to swing and reach over on a follow through. (hard to catch by the naked eye)

4. Chayady

Chayady Regular Member

Basically, racket is allowed to pass over the net. The thing that is regulated is the point of impact (racket hit the shuttle), the shuttle must be hit in the player side (shuttle must pass over the net, partially or fully).
    In event of contact between rackets, the player that block/prevent the opponent to make a legal stroke will be faulted.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Not true. Only and only upon following thru after hitting the bird on your side first.

As clear and simple as that.

6. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Thanks for detailed replies Visor and CantSmashThis, you've answered my questions in full.

Most of these questions were in response to actual events that I've had in my games, some quite recently.

Question 1 came from me trying to intercept a weak lift off of one of my net blocks, I missed the shuttle by a fraction but in my estimation I crossed the net on the follow through.

Question 2 came from me attemping to 'wipe' the shuttle off the net during net play in a singles game.

Questions 3,3b and 4 came from a long while back when playing against an opponent who would play poor shots at the net and would then try to put me off by raising his racket and obstructing. We actually collided rackets on one occasion.

Question 5 came from having a shuttle land vertically on the net and it balance there for a second, so it was half my side and half the other. It happened right in front of me and I wanted to hit the shuttle but hesitated... now I'll know what to do in the very unlikely event it ever happens again :p

7. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    You know since we're on the topic, I've noticed some of my friends who like to do one thing that's completely illegal but they never actually knew. It's not directly a net kill, but it goes something like this.

They do a net shot drop and then immediately place their racket over the net with the racket head flat so that if you lift, the shuttle will hit their racket face while still way on your own side of the court.

It came as a complete surprise to them because I don't think they ever really knew about these specific rules of badminton. Nevertheless it was always fun to see them celebrate in amazement at their tactic, only to be told that it was entirely illegal and that the point went to me =).