User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 23
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The Walkover Issue

    Name:  Walkover.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  8.9 KB


    Once more the audience have been robbed by a player who Walkover... "it is getting worse and worse... it will only get worse... it is extremely unfair to fans who bought tickets to watch them... it is extremely unfair to sponsors... it is extremely unfair to TV stations who bought the rebroadcasting rights..."

    Lee Chong Wei does not want to entertain the paying audinece and walksover to Suppanyu Avihnganon in the first round of Macau Open.

    The official excuse is that LCW was lethargic this week and don't want to play as he could risk injuries according to Chin Chai.

    Where is the respect for the paying audience who want to see the athletes perform at their best???

    What can we do about these players who come up with lame excuses not to play, becuse of tactical reasons???

    Read more: Badminton: Chong Wei pulls out from Macau Open - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/badmint...#ixzz1f7QJsC5O

    P.S. The tone in this post is intended to be ironic... comments of course welcome :-) ...
    Last edited by twobeer; 11-29-2011 at 01:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Personally I think the tour is too demanding. Rightly n wrongly, the players have every right to not play at a competition. Spectators may have bought a ticket but not at the cost of the players risking injuries. On this occasion, LCW should have declared his intention sooner.

  3. #3
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,262
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    For once, LCW shows that he can be tactically smart. He is starting to learn.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with S.Fusion. LCW should have pulled out of the tournament a lot sooner. However I also believe that the top athletes need to have experience with balancing their mental and physical health with their tournament play. If we think of top Tennis athletes like Roger Federer and Nadal, they play in much fewer tournaments than the rest of the competition.

    You can see it here: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/YTD-Singles.aspx

    The top four players can afford to play in 19-20 tournaments because often they will reach the semi's or even win the title because of the huge skill gap between them and the rest of the competition. They don't necessarily need to enter 25+ tournaments because it will take too huge of a physical and mental toll on them while still maintaining their top rankings. Lin Dan has learned how to do this though I will admit he does it half-assed because he enters tournaments and pulls out to allow a walkover for a teammate rather than skipping the tournament entirely.

    This practice leads to a very lengthy career as it creates much less of a strain on the player like Federer because he is now 30 years old, yet he's still ranked 3rd in the world and looking to take back #1 next year, or at the very least take a few more grandslams.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.fusion View Post
    Personally I think the tour is too demanding. Rightly n wrongly, the players have every right to not play at a competition. Spectators may have bought a ticket but not at the cost of the players risking injuries. On this occasion, LCW should have declared his intention sooner.
    But really? Doesn't the player always risk injury when playing???

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,262
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    But really? Doesn't the player always risk injury when playing???
    Yes, but when one is tired or overplaying, there is higher risk of injuries due to lapses in concentration, technique, footwork, etc. Not to mention repetitive strain injuries sustained from overuse.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    my den
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    He learns it from Chinese team. Any tournament with 2 Chinese opponents there is a 50% chance that happens. I don't blame LCW.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    But really? Doesn't the player always risk injury when playing???
    Wow, now you questioning this injury and walkover?
    Is it because you have forgot about http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...hts-and-wrongs where you stand firm behing the country that do the shameful tactic?

    Are you creating this thread just because it was LCW this time that "learn" the tactic? You are afraid he will be stronger and beat your "country"?
    Why don't you closed this thread and continue it on the previous thread?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chayady View Post
    Wow, now you questioning this injury and walkover?
    Is it because you have forgot about http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...hts-and-wrongs where you stand firm behing the country that do the shameful tactic?

    Are you creating this thread just because it was LCW this time that "learn" the tactic? You are afraid he will be stronger and beat your "country"?
    Why don't you closed this thread and continue it on the previous thread?
    I think you did not read my P.S. in the post, and probably missunderstood what point i tried to get across.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Yes, but when one is tired or overplaying, there is higher risk of injuries due to lapses in concentration, technique, footwork, etc. Not to mention repetitive strain injuries sustained from overuse.
    Playng an extremely strong, fast opponent from your team that read your game extremely well, while being slightly injured or off form, also greatly increases the risk of injuries imop

  11. #11
    Regular Member Andy05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think the intention to play, or not, should be given a lot earlier.
    All England tickets have been on sale ages and I'm sure there would be mass upset if LCW LD PG TH decided they couldn't be bothered.
    I'm sure that the training he did during those days was as intense as the matches he would have played anyway.

  12. #12
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    .
    I am not happy to find that LCW pulled out from 2011 Macau Open.

    I commented about it in the tournament thread;

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Talking about players who have sent in their entries to participate and then at the last moment made a withdrawal, I am not happy about it (unless it is because of injuries).

    I would tell LCW and LD (and many other top players) that they shouldn't send in their entries if they are unsure of playing.

    Why? Because there are many lower ranked players wishing to participate in the tournament, but they were told that entries were full (taken up by higher ranked players), and their entries were rejected.

    Besides, spectators who have bought tickets to watch the top players to perform won't be happy either.
    .

  13. #13
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,835
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy05 View Post
    I think the intention to play, or not, should be given a lot earlier.
    All England tickets have been on sale ages and I'm sure there would be mass upset if LCW LD PG TH decided they couldn't be bothered.
    I'm sure that the training he did during those days was as intense as the matches he would have played anyway.
    Well they are selling the tickets way in advance of the entry deadline after all, that is the early bird risk. Perhaps Taufik is only trying to drop his ranking so he is no longer obliged to top 10 Super Series attendance requirements *yeah right*

  14. #14
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,835
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    I am not happy to find that LCW pulled out from 2011 Macau Open.

    I commented about it in the tournament thread;


    .
    With this entry list I don't think any serious player from abroad would have any trouble making the cut which leaves the locals on reserve but I do get your point in general. Perhaps the fine should be weighted; based on the world ranking or so ...

  15. #15
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    With this entry list I don't think any serious player from abroad would have any trouble making the cut which leaves the locals on reserve but I do get your point in general. Perhaps the fine should be weighted; based on the world ranking or so ...
    .
    Yes, a fine should be weighted.

    I have been following Badminton for years. To say that to withdraw from a tournament because of a fear of getting injured is just plain ridiculous.

    Players who are afraid of getting injured in sports should not play sports in the first place.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 12-02-2011 at 01:08 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Yes, a fine should be weighted.

    I have been following Badminton for years. To say that to withdraw from a tournament because of a fear of getting injured is just plain ridiculous.

    Players who are afraid of getting injured in sports should not play sports in the first place.
    .
    This is true.. But with intesive training and competition comes the risk of overtraining. For every har training session you break down muscle tissue and get WEAKER, only during the reconstitution at rest the body rebuilds and gets stronger.. So it is actaully not the trainingtha makes one stronger, it is really the resting tha makes one stronger from a scientific perspective :-D .. Anyway without adekvate rest the muscle teardown will cause worse perfromance and less strong muscles before rebuilding.. When musclefibres are broken down due to heavy load training there will be an increased risk of injury as the weakend muscles will not be able to protect ligaments, knees, back, etc as well due to their weakend state.

    I guess this is what they refer to..but I also agree with the poster remarking that LCW really only has had fast 2-set games (apart from the psychological damaging losses against LD) and the overtraining from the tournament should really not be that big factor (I assume his hard trainingsessions during the off-peak training is much more intense than what he gets from walking all over over Wacha, Tago etc. in a 28 or 29 minute workout..

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    [0,0,0]
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Blah Blah Blah, here we go again with some sinophile trying to draw a parallel with LCW's withdrawl and how it somehow cast the behaviour of the Chinese team in a more favourable light. What a load of B.S.
    I don't condone what LCW did here, he could have handled it better but let's look at the differences here because there a few and they are key.

    1. He withdrew in the first round. He didn't wait until it was favourable to a Malyasian player. He did it early in the tournament not, during a semi-final or final

    2. No bullshite, he gave his reason and was up front and honest about it. No baloney about some made up injury. I don't like his reason and I hate his timing but, I can understand his reaoning and his timing could have been far worse.

    3. It's an isolated incident. LCW plays in alot of tournaments and how often do you hear about him giving a WO? The reason China draws a lot of ire from fans of the game isn't because of one WO it's because of their pattern of behaviour.

    Calling this a "WO issue", what a load of garbage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Walkover & Withdrawal issue - rights and wrongs
    By cobalt in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 391
    : 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM
  2. Lin Dan walkover in MO
    By xymaerts in forum Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011
    Replies: 368
    : 01-30-2011, 11:46 PM
  3. Walkover
    By loweechng in forum China Open (1) / Macau Open / New Zealand Open 2008
    Replies: 2
    : 10-03-2008, 10:18 AM
  4. So many Walkover ?????
    By smash in forum China Open (1) / Macau Open / New Zealand Open 2008
    Replies: 4
    : 09-27-2008, 12:01 PM
  5. CCM/KKK is out!!! (walkover to HSH/HJM)
    By weeyet in forum World Championships 2006
    Replies: 57
    : 09-22-2006, 07:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •