The Walkover Issue

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by twobeer, Nov 29, 2011.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Walkover.jpg

Once more the audience have been robbed by a player who Walkover... "it is getting worse and worse... it will only get worse... it is extremely unfair to fans who bought tickets to watch them... it is extremely unfair to sponsors... it is extremely unfair to TV stations who bought the rebroadcasting rights..."

Lee Chong Wei does not want to entertain the paying audinece and walksover to Suppanyu Avihnganon in the first round of Macau Open.

The official excuse is that LCW was lethargic this week and don't want to play as he could risk injuries according to Chin Chai.

Where is the respect for the paying audience who want to see the athletes perform at their best???

What can we do about these players who come up with lame excuses not to play, becuse of tactical reasons???

Read more: Badminton: Chong Wei pulls out from Macau Open - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/badminton-chong-wei-pulls-out-from-macau-open-1.12491#ixzz1f7QJsC5O

P.S. The tone in this post is intended to be ironic... comments of course welcome :) ...

#1 twobeer, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

Personally I think the tour is too demanding. Rightly n wrongly, the players have every right to not play at a competition. Spectators may have bought a ticket but not at the cost of the players risking injuries. On this occasion, LCW should have declared his intention sooner.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

For once, LCW shows that he can be tactically smart. He is starting to learn.

4. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I agree with S.Fusion. LCW should have pulled out of the tournament a lot sooner. However I also believe that the top athletes need to have experience with balancing their mental and physical health with their tournament play. If we think of top Tennis athletes like Roger Federer and Nadal, they play in much fewer tournaments than the rest of the competition.

You can see it here: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/YTD-Singles.aspx

The top four players can afford to play in 19-20 tournaments because often they will reach the semi's or even win the title because of the huge skill gap between them and the rest of the competition. They don't necessarily need to enter 25+ tournaments because it will take too huge of a physical and mental toll on them while still maintaining their top rankings. Lin Dan has learned how to do this though I will admit he does it half-assed because he enters tournaments and pulls out to allow a walkover for a teammate rather than skipping the tournament entirely.

This practice leads to a very lengthy career as it creates much less of a strain on the player like Federer because he is now 30 years old, yet he's still ranked 3rd in the world and looking to take back #1 next year, or at the very least take a few more grandslams.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    But really? Doesn't the player always risk injury when playing???

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, but when one is tired or overplaying, there is higher risk of injuries due to lapses in concentration, technique, footwork, etc. Not to mention repetitive strain injuries sustained from overuse.

7. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

He learns it from Chinese team. Any tournament with 2 Chinese opponents there is a 50% chance that happens. I don't blame LCW.

8. Chayady

Chayady Regular Member

Wow, now you questioning this injury and walkover?
    Is it because you have forgot about http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...lkover-amp-Withdrawal-issue-rights-and-wrongs where you stand firm behing the country that do the shameful tactic?

Are you creating this thread just because it was LCW this time that "learn" the tactic? You are afraid he will be stronger and beat your "country"?
    Why don't you closed this thread and continue it on the previous thread?

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think you did not read my P.S. in the post, and probably missunderstood what point i tried to get across.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Playng an extremely strong, fast opponent from your team that read your game extremely well, while being slightly injured or off form, also greatly increases the risk of injuries imop :D

11. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I think the intention to play, or not, should be given a lot earlier.
    All England tickets have been on sale ages and I'm sure there would be mass upset if LCW LD PG TH decided they couldn't be bothered.
    I'm sure that the training he did during those days was as intense as the matches he would have played anyway.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I am not happy to find that LCW pulled out from 2011 Macau Open.

I commented about it in the tournament thread;

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Well they are selling the tickets way in advance of the entry deadline after all, that is the early bird risk. Perhaps Taufik is only trying to drop his ranking so he is no longer obliged to top 10 Super Series attendance requirements :D *yeah right*

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

With this entry list I don't think any serious player from abroad would have any trouble making the cut which leaves the locals on reserve but I do get your point in general. Perhaps the fine should be weighted; based on the world ranking or so ...

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Yes, a fine should be weighted.

I have been following Badminton for years. To say that to withdraw from a tournament because of a fear of getting injured is just plain ridiculous. :eek::eek::eek:

Players who are afraid of getting injured in sports should not play sports in the first place.

#15 chris-ccc, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    This is true.. But with intesive training and competition comes the risk of overtraining. For every har training session you break down muscle tissue and get WEAKER, only during the reconstitution at rest the body rebuilds and gets stronger.. So it is actaully not the trainingtha makes one stronger, it is really the resting tha makes one stronger from a scientific perspective :-D .. Anyway without adekvate rest the muscle teardown will cause worse perfromance and less strong muscles before rebuilding.. When musclefibres are broken down due to heavy load training there will be an increased risk of injury as the weakend muscles will not be able to protect ligaments, knees, back, etc as well due to their weakend state.

I guess this is what they refer to..but I also agree with the poster remarking that LCW really only has had fast 2-set games (apart from the psychological damaging losses against LD) and the overtraining from the tournament should really not be that big factor (I assume his hard trainingsessions during the off-peak training is much more intense than what he gets from walking all over over Wacha, Tago etc. in a 28 or 29 minute workout..

17. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Blah Blah Blah, here we go again with some sinophile trying to draw a parallel with LCW's withdrawl and how it somehow cast the behaviour of the Chinese team in a more favourable light. What a load of B.S.
    I don't condone what LCW did here, he could have handled it better but let's look at the differences here because there a few and they are key.

1. He withdrew in the first round. He didn't wait until it was favourable to a Malyasian player. He did it early in the tournament not, during a semi-final or final

2. No bullshite, he gave his reason and was up front and honest about it. No baloney about some made up injury. I don't like his reason and I hate his timing but, I can understand his reaoning and his timing could have been far worse.

3. It's an isolated incident. LCW plays in alot of tournaments and how often do you hear about him giving a WO? The reason China draws a lot of ire from fans of the game isn't because of one WO it's because of their pattern of behaviour.

Calling this a "WO issue", what a load of garbage.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i was the one who posted the "extremely unfair" comment in the first place...

to be fair to both LCW and LD, I think a penalty system should be introduced... a fine and deduction of world ranking points... for example.... repeated offenders should be barred from BWF Level 1 (or 2) events for three months or six months...

19. flite

flite Regular Member

You guys are wise enough to see the fine line between LD and LCW's case. Some people tried very hard smarting over the issue.;)

For those in bold: if this were to be implemented, we shall only be seeing LD return for action in 2013! LMAO

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Well, he withdraw later than LD though in this particualr tournament, giving a WO in the first round and not a redraw as with earlier withdrawal (like LD in this case).

No bull..???

I will not play in your tournament because i feel i could get injured if i play?? What baloney is that???

He simply prioritize the SSF and his rest and training more than playing a measly GP in Macau just to satisfy his sponsor.. That would have been the honest answer!!

I actually agree that LCW is usually playing alot of tournaments, and kudos to him for that.. But still he has made some notable late withdrawals, Like for example the withdrawal from China Masters, and then played JO the week after. My point is really that LCW isnt "perfect" and evrything isn't black or white..

Wow, guess i didnt make the irony clera enough for you... Let me spell it out for you "I didn't think it was an issue" neither with LCWs nor LDs withdrawal, thats the point of the ironic post..which seemed to have missed the mark with you..

I think we need to give more rewards to players that do play, and talk less about "punishments".. I am pretty sure neither LCW nor LD would have withdrawn if the Winner got 5 million usd and the runner up 2 million, for example...

#20 twobeer, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011