any activities i can do at home or on the street to become a better player

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MartinH_16, Dec 1, 2011.

1. MartinH_16

MartinH_16 New Member

i do not have access to a court as much as i would like to so i was wondering are there any activities which would improve my fitness and my game play

2. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

• Skipping is easy and can be done at home

3. Stratlover

Stratlover Regular Member

One of the best things that you can do is to go to an empty parking lot and find the approximate dimensions of a badminton court. Then, practice footwork from the middle to all 6 directions of the court at half speed for accuracy and full speed for stamina and explosiveness. Do it with a training racket and shadow swings at the end of each pattern to train your arm and wrist as well. To see exactly what I'm talking about watch what Peter Gade does just before he plays a match.

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Saw some kids at practice and they did squat jumps.

Hands behind the back, squat like you're taking a dump in the outhouse, jump and twist your body left/right. Repeat.

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    1. Skipping
    2. Train wrist by holding a pipe or hammer (better to do with both hands) and draw 8 or the "infinite symbol", remember to reverse the turning.
    3. train forearm by holding a pipe or hammer (better to do with both hands) and turn forearm (pronate and supinate)
    4. push the wall with your fingers.

6. realbacon

realbacon Regular Member

i have a similar situation to you, in that i have limited access to a court.
    do you have access to a gym? some cardio/weight training work will never hurt, but i'm not sure of the specifics of a program for badminton. badminton would gain a lot from speedwork though. if you can train explosive strength with plyometrics, squats your footwork would be much better. and as someone above said, finding a place to do footwork shadows is always the best!

7. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Old thread but walls exist everywhere. You can practice flat play very well with just the racket, shuttle and wall.