Lin Dan paid Chong Wei a visit in the changing room...

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open 2011' started by xymaerts, Dec 1, 2011.

1. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

[h=1]Chong Wei and Lin Dan share unique friendship off the court[/h][h=2]By RAJES PAUL[/h]

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan of China are deadly rivals on the badminton court. But all those years of trying to outdo each other has seen them develop a special bond born of mutual respect.
    This great rivalry and unique friendship, on and off the court, is good for the sport, says Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) vice president David Wee.
    David, who was the Malaysian team manager for the final leg of the Super Series Tour in Shanghai last week, had the privilege to witness the close relationship behind the rivalry between the world’s two greatest players.
    [​IMG]Healthy rivalry: Lin Dan sharing a light moment with Lee Chong Wei in the dressing room after their China Open semi-final match last week.
    He was quite surprised with Lin Dan’s ‘gentle’ side – especially after the four-time world champion’s 19-21, 21-12, 21-11 win over Chong Wei in the semi-final of the China Open in a match that lasted one hour and 15 minutes.
    After the match, Lin Dan, known for his arrogant demeanour on court, sportingly gave his Malaysian archrival a pat on the back for giving him a tough time.
    “After the rub down, Lin Dan paid Chong Wei a visit in the changing room. He shook Chong Wei’s hand for the rousing battle and they exchanged pleasantries,” said David.
    “Lin Dan even brought a few T-shirts for Chong Wei to sign. His wife (Xie Xingfang) and some friends were with him and they were happily snapping pictures. It’s nice to note that there is such camaraderie between two great rivals. I guess this is the beauty of sports.”
    David said that the friendship was acknowledgement of the mutual respect the two players had for each other.
    “Over the years, Chong Wei has narrowed the gap on Lin Dan and the Chinese player knows it. In fact, in the China Open, Lin Dan had to work hard for every point although the scoreline in the second and rubber games may indicate otherwise.
    “Chong Wei was in excellent form, sending shots deep into the corner of the court but Lin Dan was able to retrieve them all. Only a thin line separates the duo and it is good to note that they bring out the best in each other. This is good for the game.
    “Lin Dan’s recent exploits show that he has improved on his fitness.
    “Chong Wei will now have to counter it by working harder on his own fitness and game. This certainly makes the clashes between these two players something to look forward to.
    “I will be submitting my report on Chong Wei to the council on Dec 17.
    “Chong Wei has reached the final of every tournament he has played in this year except for the last two Opens in Hong Kong and China, where he lost in the semi-finals to Lin Dan. It is still an exceptional performance. I cannot think of anyone who has been that consistent in a sport that is physically so demanding.”
    Prior to the China Open, Lin Dan had also beaten Chong Wei in the Hong Kong Open semi-finals and the finals of the South Korea Open and World Championships. Chong Wei, however, showed that the Chinese superstar was not altogether invincible when he beat his nemesis in defending the All-England title in March.
    The duo are expected to meet for one last time this year during the Super Series Masters Finals in Liuzhou from Dec 14-18. Fans can expect another clash of the titans in a fitting climax to the season.

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My take

Certainly is good to know these two have such high mutual respect to one another, credit to Lin Dan willingly to cross the border to make first contact pay for the visit, credit to Chong Wei for making so many friends due to his easy going character off the court.
    Friendship aside, Chong Wei needs to remind himself Lin Dan has been the main guy who impeded his greatness so Chong Wei ought to take this visit personally and motivate himself to another new height, hopefully defeat Lin Dan in Olympic ... then return the visit.(Sorry, I don't mean to paint Lin Dan's visit in a negative way but I just want Chong Wei to win the Olympic badly to justify his greatness, all these side shows off court should not affect his preparation, hopefully ... omitofu :D)
    I found my self hard to play my best badminton against my good friends if you see where I am coming from?

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Without LCW, life will be boring for LD on badminton courts. Look at how easy he beat CL in HK. LD needs LCW. :)

4. Warlock

Warlock Regular Member

Usually rivals in sports of the highest standard will develop a form of respect and admiration for each other,and it's this kind of special bonding that will make them want to outdo each other and break through their current level of play.

5. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Lin Dan had a wager on the side with LCW, the loser had to wear a pink shirt. LD was there to make sure LCW paid up...that's the only way I can rationalise all the elements in the attached photo :D:p

6. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    guess that how LD won , he spy on LCW in order to sneak into LCW life to understand how he think n react personally...
    i am sure LCW would not shy or accidently say out his few weakness or problem during his training in order to tackle him during the match...
    well no harm to be good fre but sometimes you did allow ppl taking advantages on u without ur knowledge

7. PrimeShuttler

PrimeShuttler Regular Member

Health Dept
    I have mentioned this previously on another thread, but personally, I think it is a mistake for LCW to be so good friends with LD. LCW needs to view LD as the obstacle that LCW has to overcome to achieve OG2012 glory. You don't win the silver, you lose the gold.
    LCW needs more mental toughness to step up his challenge to get gold at OG2012. The first step to that would be to not be so good buddies with LD. Respect the guy for sure, but doesn't mean you have to hang out with the guy socially.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

For sure for LD and LCW, without one there isn't another. It is their rivalry that elevates them to higher levels that they won't be able to achieve themselves if not for each pushing the other to his limits. They need each other much like Batman and Joker, or Superman and Lex Luthor. It is their raison d'être.

But as PrimeShuttler said, for LCW to have healthy respect for LD yes, but not to be socially close or buddy buddy or even Facebook friends. That'll cause LCW to lose whatever little edge he has on court for sure.

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That s a good photo psychologically for LCW. LCW s looking like the boss and LD s looking like the order taker.

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    LCW always lack on this courtesy. he needs to gain on the soft side.

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Even Rafael and Federer hang out together...I do not see anything wrong with that...same thing TH and LCW

12. sen

sen Regular Member

“Lin Dan even brought a few T-shirts for Chong Wei to sign...."

Lin Dan can sell the T-shirts for lots of money if LCW won Olympic next year. Hahaha... Just kidding.

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

#13 eaglehelang, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I think it's good that they can be friends off court, it's better than the scenes from when LD threw a tantrum on the podium in Malaysia after he lost to LCW

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Yeah-lo, nothing wrong with hanging out with LD...if I am LCW, I would ask LD for good tempat for massage in CHN, not in the same room though, maybe LD is generous and belanja too:p:D

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    LD is thankful to LCW for not defeating him.

LCW is grateful that LD appreciates his defeat.

:D:D:D

17. leesing2k

leesing2k Regular Member

You guys are funny.

#17 leesing2k, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  18. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    It would be insensible and unwise of LCW should he not reply such courteous and sincere gesture or socialize with such a fellow sports person. “RESPECT AND KNOW YOUR FELLOW COMPETITORS WELL”; that's the signature of a true champion.

While LD had and will always look upon LCW as the driving force behind his progress, LCW would be foolish to regard himself as the one and only, and look upon others as enemies to be defeated. To achieve greatness,one has to realize that “THE GREATEST ENEMY OF ALL IS NONE OTHER THAN ONESELF”.

But of course; it takes a strong character and a sound mentality to realize that. IMO; this is the big difference between these two great master of the game.

#18 OldBadFan, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  19. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

guys, i think you all have given them too many credits for someone who just paid a simple visit to a changing room.

At the end of the day, it's all show biz, you will be foolish to think that they hate each other.....

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Very true and well said.