User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Why do some people play with such large grips? (over-grips too)

    I've seen some crazy grips and over grips over the years. This one guy that plays mainly doubles puts on 4 over grips his existing grip and near the bottom of the racket it's all
    "balled" up and just a massive thing. I just don't get why someone would want to make there handle so large and inflexible when it comes to adjusting for certain shots. To me, it seems you wouldn't be able maneuver your racket at all with such a large grip.

    Anyone here use a massive over grip and can explain why? :P

    Personally, I like to maneuver my racket around, so 1 over grip (if at all) is plenty.

    Cheers,

    Justin Gagnon

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    maybe because they liek it and feel comfortable with it!? gripping is very personal
    (i play a thin overgrip on the bare wood, others use tons of grips...)

  3. Likes kwun liked this post
  4. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I use a relatively large grip. To give you an idea, on a G4 size grip (with cellophane wrapping) I would put 3-4 overgrips on top (with a bulge at the base). It's mainly a preference thing but I do seem to feel I get more control of the racquet head, particularly on smashes. Also I have very dry hands which stay dry during play to I need as much grip as I can get and larger grip = more contact area.

  5. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you put overgrips over the celluphane wrapping??

  6. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    some people will say it depends, but 4 overgrips is kinda too much..
    IMO, maybe their racket is too head heavy for them. which resulting in: wrong gripping technique, and big grip handle size.
    1. since the racket is too head heavy, they develop their own way to handle the racket (usually the grip it like gripping a stick, or a sword since it gives more power, but it is lack of accuracy esp in badminton. I have a friend. very small build and using AT900P since LCW use it.. and his grip is wrong)

    2. big grip size is because big grip gives you false sense of reducing head heaviness of the racket. because the more surface is in contact with your hand, it feels easier to swing (while the head heaviness is still there).

    or maybe they are clueless?

    as for me, 1 replacement grip is more than enough. not too thin as to provide cushion, and not too thick to lose the feel of the handle (and make me difficult to play touch shot or backhand shot)

  7. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I usually go base grip and one overgrip with a lot of overlapping when wrapping. If I've got a smaller grip size and particularly thin overgrip, I might go double loosely wrapped overgrips.

  8. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    some people will say it depends, but 4 overgrips is kinda too much..
    IMO, maybe their racket is too head heavy for them. which resulting in: wrong gripping technique, and big grip handle size.
    1. since the racket is too head heavy, they develop their own way to handle the racket (usually the grip it like gripping a stick, or a sword since it gives more power, but it is lack of accuracy esp in badminton. I have a friend. very small build and using AT900P since LCW use it.. and his grip is wrong)

    2. big grip size is because big grip gives you false sense of reducing head heaviness of the racket. because the more surface is in contact with your hand, it feels easier to swing (while the head heaviness is still there).

    or maybe they are clueless?

    as for me, 1 replacement grip is more than enough. not too thin as to provide cushion, and not too thick to lose the feel of the handle (and make me difficult to play touch shot or backhand shot)
    I don't think there is right or wrong, it's down to preference really. As long as it doesn't affect play/technique then it's up to the player to decide what he/she feels comfortable with. Also it depends on the size of your hand.

    As the overgrips I put underneath the top one are usually very worn grips (obviously wouldn't put a new one underneath), they are probably about half the thickness of a new one, if not less as I tend to stretch them a bit when I put it on. So, the only times I would use 4 over grips is when the ones underneath are very very thin. Otherwise it would be about 3 tops.

    For me, it is nothing to do with the swing weight or balance, it is purely how I like the handle to feel. I have seen players with far larger grips than me.

    I also noticed that a lot people with very dry hands like me some times do prefer thicker grips whilst those with sweaty hands seem to prefer thinner grips - generalising here of course.

  9. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    shingaporu
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I don't think there is right or wrong, it's down to preference really. As long as it doesn't affect play/technique then it's up to the player to decide what he/she feels comfortable with. Also it depends on the size of your hand.

    As the overgrips I put underneath the top one are usually very worn grips (obviously wouldn't put a new one underneath), they are probably about half the thickness of a new one, if not less as I tend to stretch them a bit when I put it on. So, the only times I would use 4 over grips is when the ones underneath are very very thin. Otherwise it would be about 3 tops.

    For me, it is nothing to do with the swing weight or balance, it is purely how I like the handle to feel. I have seen players with far larger grips than me.

    I also noticed that a lot people with very dry hands like me some times do prefer thicker grips whilst those with sweaty hands seem to prefer thinner grips - generalising here of course.
    i use g4 with two over grips too.

    never had an elbow problem ever since then. i think its essential to find a good match for your own personal preference

  10. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well ... maybe he has hands like a toilet lid??? maybe some people want to play with a tennis racket instead of a badminton racket? Who knows? The world is so colourful ... but don't mind! If some crazy guys are fancy for jumping off a Skycraper whithout any parasuit ... there's no need for you to do this too

  11. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I don't think there is right or wrong, it's down to preference really. As long as it doesn't affect play/technique then it's up to the player to decide what he/she feels comfortable with. Also it depends on the size of your hand.

    As the overgrips I put underneath the top one are usually very worn grips (obviously wouldn't put a new one underneath), they are probably about half the thickness of a new one, if not less as I tend to stretch them a bit when I put it on. So, the only times I would use 4 over grips is when the ones underneath are very very thin. Otherwise it would be about 3 tops.

    For me, it is nothing to do with the swing weight or balance, it is purely how I like the handle to feel. I have seen players with far larger grips than me.

    I also noticed that a lot people with very dry hands like me some times do prefer thicker grips whilst those with sweaty hands seem to prefer thinner grips - generalising here of course.
    yeah, maybe it has to do with grip size too.
    I never saw someone with more than 1 replacement grip and 1 over grip.. maybe because most of my friends are Indonesian? (as asian people tend to have smaller hand size)

    can you even feel the handle with 4 over grips? is it 1 replacement grips + 4 overgrips or just 4 over grips? (because 4 overgrips alone are not that thick)
    once, I used a very thick over grip (RKEP King grip), it gives a very nice cushion, but I cannot feel the edge at all (it makes me very difficult to do backhand shot).

    and nah, I have very dry hand and use very thin grip

  12. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    840
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Up to a certain point, it's a personal choice. However, too big a grip does affect use of fingers to change grip (thus direction of racket face) on short notice. Thus, some shots, particularly deception shots, might not be playable.

    Just recently I ran into a racket with super thick grip. I'm reasonably talk with proportionally big hands. Still I find that handle/grip size huge; bigger than that for tennis racket; biggest I'd ever seen in my whole life.

  13. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    yeah, maybe it has to do with grip size too.
    I never saw someone with more than 1 replacement grip and 1 over grip.. maybe because most of my friends are Indonesian? (as asian people tend to have smaller hand size)

    can you even feel the handle with 4 over grips? is it 1 replacement grips + 4 overgrips or just 4 over grips? (because 4 overgrips alone are not that thick)
    once, I used a very thick over grip (RKEP King grip), it gives a very nice cushion, but I cannot feel the edge at all (it makes me very difficult to do backhand shot).

    and nah, I have very dry hand and use very thin grip
    Yeah I can still feel the bevel edges enough to know which way my racquet head is facing but obviously the edges are more rounded and not as pronounced. A bare G4 grip just feels like holding a pencil for me and as I get most of my racquets from Asia, where G3 grips are rare, I have to put overgrips on top.

    I do wrap my overgrips fairly tightly though so they do thin out and as the ones underneath are worn, they are quite thin. If I were to use only fresh overgrips, I would probably only need 2 overgrips on top of a G4 original grip.

    I've not had any problems with maneouvring the racquet personally and as I also play tennis, I can confirm it is definitely a lot smaller than my tennis racquet - which only has the original grip, i.e. no overgrips.

  14. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    Up to a certain point, it's a personal choice. However, too big a grip does affect use of fingers to change grip (thus direction of racket face) on short notice. Thus, some shots, particularly deception shots, might not be playable.

    Just recently I ran into a racket with super thick grip. I'm reasonably talk with proportionally big hands. Still I find that handle/grip size huge; bigger than that for tennis racket; biggest I'd ever seen in my whole life.
    Yes of course it is a choice up to a certain point, I don't think anyone can play with a grip the size a beer can.

    I've seen some players play with absolutely huge grips (by my standard) perhaps 2 replacement grips over the original G4 grip - but it seems to work for them?!

  15. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've down gripped but I'm feeling that I have told my racket a little too tightly for the big smashes.. I use about %65 of the overgrip. Gonna using %80 for firmer feel when smashing

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •