User Tag List

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The strenght of a good footwork

Amen to footwork friends! I used to play the game mostly relying on my right (since I'm a right hander) upper body to gather strength for a good smash but at the end I find myself so tired and exhausted plus shoulder pains i got from over used muscles.Until one day by watching tournament events on tv, I carefully observe how yhey execute smashes, drops and drives with ease as if not exerting so much effort at all. That's the time I reallized how footwork work so well on every strokes they make. It's actually a game of who has the best lower body because that's where the power of smash and the grace of drops come from. That was the time I decided to learn doing drills and leg workouts. Definitely, it improved my game. From level D where I started, I am not at level B and going stronger!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default :)

Thanks for many suggestions ka.... i have just played badminton almost 1 years ka...someone in my court tought me how to footwork, it made me very tired and i was quite a lazy and dump student, so didn't think it is very important....um...until i read this thread, many good suggestions, and i must practice more footwork later. Now, i always run in the courts, my friends said "u r like Mario".....um...next time, i will be a SuperMario ka...lol....

Thanks so muchhhhhhhhh.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, is it true that in order for you to execute a good footwork you need to keep your racket head up? otherwise, there will be a split second delay in executing a good shot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oseph
    Just wondering, is it true that in order for you to execute a good footwork you need to keep your racket head up? otherwise, there will be a split second delay in executing a good shot?
    As far as I know ( and honestly, I don't know much ) , keeping your racket up doesn't affect your footwork. However , it does help you with hitting the shuttle sooner as your racket is already up and is prepared for the shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha. if u are caught sleeping and someone gives u a drive towards the baseline at waist level or lower then u would want to get to the bird quickly but u wouldnt want your racquet flailing in the air wouldnt u?

pros around please correct me if im wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, that's amazing..... I just read Kwun's first article on footwork and I couldn't agree more.

I was playing with a 1st team member the other week and I asked him was there anything wrong with my game..... as you do when you feel you are not playing good..... and to my surprise he said "no, nothing really... just your footwork". Then it hit me.... it wasn't the fancy racket I just bought off my brother that wasn't doing well, it wasn't my powerful smashes that weren't going in or my strokes.

...It was my 2 left feet !!! I have been playing like a baboon !!! and no one bothered to tell me ! or coach me !!! my brother just showed me the correct positioning footwork (friday) for playing backhand defense and clear !! > something so simple you don't even think about it ! yet so effective !!

I now look at myself compared to my friends and the reason I outplay them and beat them.... is because of my superior footwork, there I was thinking it was my stamina.... boy, are they going to be shocked when I tell them they move like a monkey's backside

Footwork it is ! and a new pair of badminton trainers....lol.....

Thanks for that guys.... you don't realize it til it hits you in the face !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually proper extension of your non-racquet arm is more important for counterbalance as it would make your footwork alot more easier... not to mention your lower back.

Ready racquet up is one facet of the total package. It is a neccessity in rallies not just because it protects you, it also reduce preparation time needed to reply a stroke return.

Last edited by cappy75; 09-18-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would play 2v1 singles no smashes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a question, just to make sure:

is it essential to have proper badminton shoes to maximize your footwork?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer
    i have a question, just to make sure:

is it essential to have proper badminton shoes to maximize your footwork?
    yes, shoes >> racket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the proper footworks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froca
    Search the forum for some videos of footworks

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...footwork+video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shoes are a very important factor, especially to get shoes with low soles cuz once i tried playing in normal running shoes it nearly killed my ankle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default footworks

Quote Originally Posted by Froca

The proper footworks are those steps that keep you in balance whichever way you go and normally coordinates with your racket hand so that it would be esy for you to attack or defend.
    It is achieved through trainings/drills from those can teach it, or sometimes from watching professional matches if you're good in learning at what you see.

The first thing that I've learned was the basics of moving to the left or to the right. That is, from a defensive/offesive stance, if you are going to hit the bird coming to your right, use the left-over-right-hit pattern. Meaning, lifting first your left foot to cross in front of the right, then step your right sideways. By the time you stepped your right foot sideways, you are about ready to hit the bird (assuming you are a righthander).
    If the bird is coming to your left, you have to lift your right foot first crossing behind your left foot, then your left to step sideways, then hit. That's called right-behind-left-hit pattern. These are just very basic, but from these two patterns you can modify to suit your other upcoming footworks to learn. That's it for now, I hope I did something of help to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default man....

so true....so damn true....imo footwork is the key to becoming a successful badminton player. you can have the fastest smash while practicing, but that means nothing in the game if you cannot get there. while playing, the shots are not as ideal as in practice, and so getting there early and being able to execute a shot away from the opponent is key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good footwork is definetly the key to improving your game. at training sessions nealry half of the time is spent on movement or exercises to aid footwork, it does get a bit tedious after a while, especially because i do the same session 3 times a week with the same coach but at different clubs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    yes, shoes >> racket
    Shoes>string tension>strings>racket....

the racket is probably #4 on your badminton-equipemnt prioritylist...even though most discussed...

my dad shocked himslef he cleard 20inches deaper when switching bewteen his ns800-3u-bg-65-ti-9kg to my ns8000-3u-bg80-9,5kg....probably not the best way to figure out (changes both tension ánd string) but it was definatly an eye opener..

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast