Nanoray 700RP 3u vs 4u?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by tcmaster, Dec 3, 2011.

1. tcmaster

tcmaster Regular Member

I'm thinking of getting the nanoray 700rp. I'm an intermediate player, and I only play doubles. Right now I'm using Kason C7 3u, but I think it's too heavy for me as I'm always quite a bit slow on playing drive shot and also defending. I want something more maneuverable. With Kason C7, my smash is pretty decent, so I'm afraid that if I change to 4u headlight racket, my smash power is going to drop a lot, but if I choose the 3u one, it might not be very different from my current racket. Which one do you guys think I should pick?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think you'll be fine with a 3U Nanoray - they are, on average, a good half-inch less head heavy than the Twister, which will improve your drives and defence. The NR frame is also faster through the air, so the smash and clear shouldn't be too badly affected.

As to which NR700 to pick... the lower head weight will make the shaft feel stiffer than usual, so I'd try the FX first if I were you (since the C7 is medium-flexible).

3. tcmaster

tcmaster Regular Member

But stiffer racket will perform better at smashing, right? What would be the benefits of flexible shaft other than easier clear shot?

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hmmm... not necessarily. Depends on how quickly your swing accelerates - there's a limit of stiffness, different for every person, beyond which their shot power will start to decrease. The stiffer racket may offer the odd cruise missle smash, but it will be far less tolerant of lax technique and require more effort.

The NRs and C7 offer a nice example: the C7 seems to be right between the FX and RP in terms of stiffness, so it's a safe bet that you'll hit harder with one NR than with either of the others. You really need to try both with your usual string and tension, I'm afraid:).

5. tcmaster

tcmaster Regular Member

Thank you for your answer. I think I will still buy NR700RP because I kind of like stiff racket better.

6. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

well, c7 is medium stiffness and heavy head while both NR700RP and FX have stiff shafts.

The RP is slightly lighthead and stiff on both the shaft and the frame, making it very repulsive.

However, the FX has a stiff shaft while habing a flexible racket frame allowing more hold and power and making it even more head light than the RP.

3u nanoray should be fine since you're moving from heavy head to light head

7. tcmaster

tcmaster Regular Member

When you said NR700FX has more power, do you mean it could give me more power in smashing than NR700RP even though it is more headlight? How?

8. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

its only slightly more head light, the power generated from the "hold" of the flexible FX frame is more than difference in balance points.

with some manufacturing acceptable error you may even have the same balance points, RP is more accurate though :D