Jump smash...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kelvin, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I know for a fact a lot of the pro's do this... is it to compensate for the lack of a powerful standing smash?

Let me know what you think.
    Also tell me if you use this technique at all.

Personally I will only do this maybe 2% of the time... in other words, out of 100 shots, I might attempt it 2 times out of the 100.

The reason for this, is because my standing smash has more than enough force on it, that my opponents don't expect... also because I find it's a BIG waste of energy. Do you agree or disagree?

It might look all cool, and fancy, but I'm wondering if any of us are able to do this constantly.

In a singles match, if I absolutely know I can kill the shuttle that way, and add a little flare I would do it.
    Doubles I'm more tempted to smash in my regular fashion... I'm contemplating adding this skill to my arsenal full time, or use it more frequently.
    One of my philosophies with our beloved sport..."If it gets the shuttle over the net, and it feels good, and it works for me, then it's not wrong"

If you guys can convince me to use it... then I'll put more time training for this surprise shot in my games.
    If you can convince me against using such a shot... I'd like to know the arguement for that as well.
    Thanks for all replies... in the meantime I'll train up with this shot, and see if I can't destroy my opponents, and take them off guard with it. :evil:

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Well Kelvin, I say you use both shots. Use a standing smash and when you want, use a jump smash. But you need to make sure that ALL your shots are over. It's fun some see some dramatic action from time to time.

3. vic

vic Guest

The jump smash is tiring so I rarely use it in singles. It also takes you out of position some times. The advantage is that you hit the bird higher and earlier. If your opponent isn't set yet, then this shot will catch them off guard.

For doubles, I almost always use it because it gives me better angle. This is important to keep the attach on because if your smash is too high, your opponent can easily drive it back. I also think that I get more power on my jump smash because it allows me to put my entire body weight into the shot.

4. cb

cb Guest

You need a jump smash

.... if you intend to play at an national/international level.
    I was at the Alberta Open this weekend and what struck
    me was all the men were jump smashing now. I even
    saw one girl do it.

I've never had a jump smash.... this is why I'm sitting here talking
    to you. :)

If executed properly, you'll get more power AND angle on
    your smash.

5. jayes

jayes Guest

Actually I use the jump smash most (98% of my smashes) not because of the flare but for the practical side - smash as close to the net as possible and down (as close as vertical as possible) - in singles and doubles. Yes, it is very hard in singles thus stamina comes to play.

My philosphy is "to get the point as fast as possible, doesn't matter how long it takes!" Again stamina plays a role. (Of course I don't smash just for the sake of smashing!).

(Not only stamina is important but the psychology side too!)

Ahhh, those were my tournament days. :)

Nowadays, when I train young enthusiasts, I don't usually smash (even if it is a freebie) when we sparred. I just pointed out the mistake. I'm much more interested in their technique and them having fun.

However, convincing you to use jump smash is another story. ;) It depends on how comfortable are you with jumping, how quick (not easy to do jump smash, ideally need to be behind the shuttle before it reaches its apex) are you with your foot works. However, if your standing smash is powerful and you are quite happy with it, why not stick with it?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I use it.
    It's not to show off.
    It comes very naturally.
    I don't use it when pushed to the very back of the court.
    It doesn't increase my power.
    It's harder for opponents to do a good net shot from a steep samsh rather than a flat hard smash (against me anyway).
    I take the shuttle earlier with less time for the opponent to move.

7. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I do jump smash very often in double, as the angle of your shot will be steeper so that your opponent is more difficult to defense.

However, in single, probably because I don't have enough speed - I can't return to the net quickly enough after jump smash, so I try not to use it very often - unless I can smash to a position that I believe my opponent is unlikely to return the shot.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to improve the accuracy and consistency of my jump smash. It used to be something very difficult for me sometime ago (just can't adapt to the timing), but after I suddenly did it one day, it seemed to be straight forward ... However there are still plenty of rooms for further improvement for my case.

8. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the encouragement...

Well...

I did a little work on my timing today, and technique with the shot.
    It totally changes the dynamics when you have to jump up in the air, and hit the shuttle earlier.

My 2 hour drill today consisted of doing a half jump smash from the back court, and moving towards the front to return a drop shot.
    1 hour from each side of the court.
    Half an hour each on retreiving the drop shot from each front corner.

Next time I'll work from the middle court, and then mix it up in the next hour.

Man, it felt worse than playing singles match set to 21 points, and having 3 sets, tying on each one!
    lol... oh well... I felt the burn, so I must be making some improvement. :)
    Thanks for the encouragement guys.

9. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    jump smashing

I have been forced to jump smash more now that i use the ISO300 instead of the cab10. THe iso300 lacks power compared to the cab10 but more than makes up for it in the controll department. Anyway, i jump smashed lots in the tournament i had today, and it worked very nicely, i can add tons more power to this racquet and give it a steeper angle. And as opposed to Ricky, i jump smash when the opponents do a high clear to back court as well. Either a smash or a hard high clear or drive to the end of my opponent's court with a jump hit. Works very effectivly, and yes, at first its hard to use it because ur off balance when u land and its hard to return any other shots after u jump smash because u have to recover from ur landing. but with practice, u can land fast and in balance and be ready to receive the next shot(took me like 2 months to get that part straight....and a very long time to connect the jump smash in general)